Where to find a job for a good interpreter-translator English Russian?
Thread poster: Lzeloni
Lzeloni
Lzeloni
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2017

Hello everybody!
I am a very good translator, but I cant find a good job on the internet.
Any advices?
About me:
I live in St. Petersburg, Russia.
I'm a native speaker, studied in New York.Also I have a TOEFL certificate.
I speak fluently and I can translate English easily.
I teach Russian and English in my country, as well as on the Internet.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What sort of a job? Apr 21, 2017

Lzeloni wrote:

Are you looking for a salaried job - as in being employed? If so, I think you're unlikely to find one, unless things are different in Russia. Most translators are freelancers, working for each client on a single text, maybe just a page i.e. an hour's work, and then hoping they'll come back for more. There are many jobs of that sort online, in fact there's a vast number of them. They aren't all good, though .

Here on ProZ.com is as good a place as any to market your services, as it's the largest online translation marketplace. But there are poor, bottom-feeding clients here as well as good ones, and unfortunately it's the poor ones who are the most seen. It stands to reason really - they are so unappetising to work with, translators tend to do one job for them and then prefer to find better clients, so those agencies are always needing more translators for their large volumes of work for end clients who are more interested in a cheap translation than a quality one. If you want to be contacted privately by the best agencies and by direct clients here, you have to make yourself stand out from the crowd. You can find out how to do that by visiting the Site Guidance Centre and attending the regular free webinar on meeting clients here.

But wherever you look online you'll be competing against many other EN>RU translators. So you don't just have to stand out here on ProZ.com; you have to make yourself seen wherever and whenever you can. Not by sending spam emails and constantly friending and retweeting etc., but by providing worthwhile content and by networking. So, concentrate on your marketing and make sure it's all persuasive and polished. And then get it out there in front of everyone who might have any work for you or be a useful contact.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Advice for the young II Apr 21, 2017

Hi, Lzeloni,

If you're looking for a salaried job, the first stop would be a local translation agency, where you could work as a project manager. Even for experienced translators, doing a stint (1-3 years) in project management gives you a number of skills and a knowledge of the markets that working alone as a translator does not. I know because I did that.

As Sheila pointed out, the competition is fierce (paraphrasing here, Sheila...
See more
Hi, Lzeloni,

If you're looking for a salaried job, the first stop would be a local translation agency, where you could work as a project manager. Even for experienced translators, doing a stint (1-3 years) in project management gives you a number of skills and a knowledge of the markets that working alone as a translator does not. I know because I did that.

As Sheila pointed out, the competition is fierce (paraphrasing here, Sheila ). I would add that the competition in the translation profession is stacked against newcomers, who have to find ways to stand out.

I would also try to learn from my local competition: what are the other translators doing to stand out, to get work in St. Petersburg? Maybe you can join a local chapter or association of translators and interpreters, and offer proofreading services, or services as a backup interpreter.

I've been told your city is beautiful.

Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
May I suggest you work on your presentation skills a tad longer Apr 21, 2017

Lzeloni wrote:

I am a very good translator

Maybe you are, but somehow I am not convinced, not by that post of yours, I am not.

Lzeloni
Lzeloni
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 21, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Lzeloni wrote:

Are you looking for a salaried job - as in being employed? If so, I think you're unlikely to find one, unless things are different in Russia. Most translators are freelancers, working for each client on a single text, maybe just a page i.e. an hour's work, and then hoping they'll come back for more. There are many jobs of that sort online, in fact there's a vast number of them. They aren't all good, though .

Here on ProZ.com is as good a place as any to market your services, as it's the largest online translation marketplace. But there are poor, bottom-feeding clients here as well as good ones, and unfortunately it's the poor ones who are the most seen. It stands to reason really - they are so unappetising to work with, translators tend to do one job for them and then prefer to find better clients, so those agencies are always needing more translators for their large volumes of work for end clients who are more interested in a cheap translation than a quality one. If you want to be contacted privately by the best agencies and by direct clients here, you have to make yourself stand out from the crowd. You can find out how to do that by visiting the Site Guidance Centre and attending the regular free webinar on meeting clients here.

But wherever you look online you'll be competing against many other EN>RU translators. So you don't just have to stand out here on ProZ.com; you have to make yourself seen wherever and whenever you can. Not by sending spam emails and constantly friending and retweeting etc., but by providing worthwhile content and by networking. So, concentrate on your marketing and make sure it's all persuasive and polished. And then get it out there in front of everyone who might have any work for you or be a useful contact.

Thank you so much!!!

Lzeloni
Lzeloni
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 21, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Hi, Lzeloni,

As Sheila pointed out, the competition is fierce (paraphrasing here, Sheila ). I would add that the competition in the translation profession is stacked against newcomers, who have to find ways to stand out.

I would also try to learn from my local competition: what are the other translators doing to stand out, to get work in St. Petersburg? Maybe you can join a local chapter or association of translators and interpreters, and offer proofreading services, or services as a backup interpreter.

I've been told your city is beautiful.

Thank you!! Yes, our city is amazing, you should visit it=)))

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to English
hh.ru Apr 23, 2017

There is a huge number of in-house translation jobs advertised on hh.ru and other sites like job.ru

Mario: St Pete is indeed beautiful. Best visited in spring (May-June) or autumn (Sep-Oct), other periods are too hot or too cold.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ilan comes through! Apr 24, 2017

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

There is a huge number of in-house translation jobs advertised on hh.ru and other sites like job.ru

Mario: St Pete is indeed beautiful. Best visited in spring (May-June) or autumn (Sep-Oct), other periods are too hot or too cold.

Thank you, Ilan. Maybe I will! I've been meeting students and professionals born in that city. I believe that it is easier to make such a travel a reality when you meet someone from that city and forge a good friendship.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's not be so binary... Apr 24, 2017

The Misha wrote:

Lzeloni wrote:

I am a very good translator

Maybe you are, but somehow I am not convinced, not by that post of yours, I am not.

I don't think being a good (or bad) translator has anything to do with absolute values but with degrees. Was I a good translator when I got my BA in Translation Studies and English? To me, I was, but to my clients, I had a ways to go.

After all, this is not Karate Kid I (“There is no try!” etc.)

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to English
I take it your wife... Apr 24, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Thank you, Ilan. Maybe I will! I've been meeting students and professionals born in that city. I believe that it is easier to make such a travel a reality when you meet someone from that city and forge a good friendship.

...(if you have one) doesn't read your posts

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ahem... Apr 24, 2017

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

...(if you have one) doesn't read your posts

A less equable person would take issue with such jibe. Let's stay professional, shall we?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to find a job for a good interpreter-translator English Russian?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »