Sarah Forget
Sarah Forget  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:11
English to French
+ ...
Apr 28, 2017

Hi there,

I am working on a subtitling project where the translations cannot exceed 40 characters. I am trying to set up some regex in the QA settings Regex tab to define some rules that would give me an error if the number of character is higher than the limit allowed.

The other thing to mention is that each segment may be divided using \N. I am allowed 40 characters before this tag and 40 characters after this tag, i.e. up to 80 characters per segment, but never more
... See more
Hi there,

I am working on a subtitling project where the translations cannot exceed 40 characters. I am trying to set up some regex in the QA settings Regex tab to define some rules that would give me an error if the number of character is higher than the limit allowed.

The other thing to mention is that each segment may be divided using \N. I am allowed 40 characters before this tag and 40 characters after this tag, i.e. up to 80 characters per segment, but never more than 40 for each part of the segment.

I have set up my QA settings as follows but it doesn't seem to be working.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6fyujbafbzx7bab/AACvgh08ppmHyXzOFMhTNAata?dl=0

The Regex I wrote are:

\N[aA-zZ,\.-/d/s?!]{40,100}$
^[aA-zZ,\.-/d/s?!]{40,100}\N

Does anyone have experience with this regex tab and could tell me what i am doing wrong?

Thank you,
Sarah
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:11
English to Russian
\N = new line Apr 29, 2017

Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately, I cannot help with a magic regex combination, but I would like to propose a workaround.
memoQ shows the total number of characters in its downmost panel, last section.
It may look like this: 131+1/157+1
where
131 stands for the total number of chars in source,
157 stands for the total number of chars in target,
+1 stands for the total number of tags (if any) in source or target.
So you can see the chars count on the
... See more
Hi Sarah,

Unfortunately, I cannot help with a magic regex combination, but I would like to propose a workaround.
memoQ shows the total number of characters in its downmost panel, last section.
It may look like this: 131+1/157+1
where
131 stands for the total number of chars in source,
157 stands for the total number of chars in target,
+1 stands for the total number of tags (if any) in source or target.
So you can see the chars count on the go, witout using QA.

On the other hand, \N indicates "new line".
I would split the \N segment for translation, keeping in mind that the newly splitted segment with \N may have 42 chars as a maximum (40+"\N"), and then (once translated) merge these two segments back again.

Definitely, not that comfortable as it might be with regex or other solution, but still you can see the number of characters on the go.

[Edited at 2017-04-29 23:08 GMT]
Collapse

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
QA setting for this purpose Apr 29, 2017

Hello,

I think the following setting will meet your needs:

Resource console > QA Settings > Segments and terms > Segment length > Warn if translation is longer than (characters).

And if you confirm a "non-compliant" translation, you will see the lightening mark just below the match score (on the right side of the source/target segment).

Cheers,

[Edited at 2017-04-29 19:02 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:11
English to Russian
Re: QA setting for this purpose Apr 30, 2017

MaxOO, did you read the original post?
If yes, how do I make memoQ recognize when characters "may not exceed 40" and when they "may not exceed 80" as need may be? I experience the same problem and would appreciate any such idea either.

P.S. Well, ok. You may suggest that I treat such 80-character segments as exclusions. Then next question is: how do I know it is 40+40, but not 70+10? Count characters one by one from the beginning of a segment to \N?

[Edited at 2017-05-0
... See more
MaxOO, did you read the original post?
If yes, how do I make memoQ recognize when characters "may not exceed 40" and when they "may not exceed 80" as need may be? I experience the same problem and would appreciate any such idea either.

P.S. Well, ok. You may suggest that I treat such 80-character segments as exclusions. Then next question is: how do I know it is 40+40, but not 70+10? Count characters one by one from the beginning of a segment to \N?

[Edited at 2017-05-01 01:52 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Forget
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not accurate enough May 2, 2017

Thank you Stepan for your answer. This is the solution that I am using at the moment but it is not accurate enough for my liking. I really want to quickly see if I am exceeding the number of characters allowed for each line (not overall).

Although splitting at the \N would be ideal for checking the characters, I cannot split the segments that way as it would restrict the translation in a way that will not take into account the full subtitle.

I am pretty sure that a rege
... See more
Thank you Stepan for your answer. This is the solution that I am using at the moment but it is not accurate enough for my liking. I really want to quickly see if I am exceeding the number of characters allowed for each line (not overall).

Although splitting at the \N would be ideal for checking the characters, I cannot split the segments that way as it would restrict the translation in a way that will not take into account the full subtitle.

I am pretty sure that a regex can do the job, my only problem is that I am just starting with MemoQ and am not familiar enough with how to customise it.
Collapse

Sarah Forget
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
QA setting doesn't work for this specific case May 2, 2017

Hi MaxOO,

I already have that QA setting set up for anything longer than 80 characters however, as per Stepan's comment above, it doesn't tell me if a line is over 40 characters.

Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Characters Counting in Segment

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »