Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to recover my 2700 Dollars ?
Thread poster: Gaëlle L.G (X)
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:31
French to English
Maybe true, maybe not, but the sum is still owed Aug 18, 2017

It may be true, it may not be true, but at the end of the day, the money is still owed to you. Also, if whoever answered the phone is not the person who owes you money, they have no obligation to deal with it at all.
With all due respect to that story, (which for the record I do not believe for a second), you are in a business relationship with this person. The sum has been owed since June, so the work actually done quite some time ago. You need to be paid.

My advice would b
... See more
It may be true, it may not be true, but at the end of the day, the money is still owed to you. Also, if whoever answered the phone is not the person who owes you money, they have no obligation to deal with it at all.
With all due respect to that story, (which for the record I do not believe for a second), you are in a business relationship with this person. The sum has been owed since June, so the work actually done quite some time ago. You need to be paid.

My advice would be to cease contacting anyone other than (i) the person who owes you money, (ii) official channels through which you can seek to recover your money. You will only enter into discussions which, even if the situation is true, will lead you into investing time (and emotional energy) with people who are not concerned and can do nothing for you. It is a business issue for you. Keep affect and business separate. That does not mean you are heartless, nor insensitive to what may be a genuine difficulty. Remember this: the work was ordered and done. When the job was ordered, the person knew or should have known how you were going to be paid.

You need to follow the usual business procedures. If that does not work, seek advice for recovery and follow that advice. When working for clients who are at some geographical distance, particularly if a job involves quite a lot of money, you should always bear in mind how you would recover money due if an invoice is unpaid. It can be complicated and expensive when in the same country or on the same continent. When it is intercontinental, it tends to be more complicated and more expensive.

Without wishing to sound pessimistic, this may end up requiring the advice of a professional that you will have to pay for, without any certainty or recovering your money. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

[Edited at 2017-08-18 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Google is your friend, they say Aug 18, 2017

Sorry to hear things aren't going well. But as you've been paid before by this client, and were on good terms with him, I suspect there's at least a grain of truth in what you've been told. It may be that the part about him failing financially is true, and the rest is just to stall you. Whatever, if the company is still solvent it seems to me that you need to take action now, as in yesterday.

I Googled for debt + recovery + pondicherry and got some useful-looking stuff. Googling in
... See more
Sorry to hear things aren't going well. But as you've been paid before by this client, and were on good terms with him, I suspect there's at least a grain of truth in what you've been told. It may be that the part about him failing financially is true, and the rest is just to stall you. Whatever, if the company is still solvent it seems to me that you need to take action now, as in yesterday.

I Googled for debt + recovery + pondicherry and got some useful-looking stuff. Googling in French would also be a good idea for that part of the world. Debt Care Enterprises Pvt was one useful-looking company I found, although I did also find an advertisement of theirs desperately seeking someone for their office there, so it looks as though they're short-handed. There are also some lawyers who might give some advice and local knowledge for free or cheaply. But the Indian courts are supposed to be notoriously slow so I doubt suing them would prove a good way forward for you.

I hasten to say that I have absolutely no idea whether any of the names my search brought up, including the company mentioned above, are reliable or even legitimate - they may be downright scammers. I'd be doing an awful lot of research in your shoes, but as quickly as possible.

I hope you find someone to help you soon. Have you found any translators locally? Or tried to contact anyone who lives/works near? Maybe another translation agency? Is there some translation organisation over there that might help? Like ATA, I mean. Facebook groups?
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
Modif Aug 18, 2017

I prefer to add a little corrective post rather than to edit the last one.

I'd made a mistake in thinking you had somone on the phone. There may be a grain of truth, there may not. It does semm fishy though. You may have in fact had your client (and not his wife) by e-mail, but that when he realized who it was, he pretended to be someone else. A good client can turn into a bad client if his own clients start having cashflow problems and the domino effect does the rest. failing to an
... See more
I prefer to add a little corrective post rather than to edit the last one.

I'd made a mistake in thinking you had somone on the phone. There may be a grain of truth, there may not. It does semm fishy though. You may have in fact had your client (and not his wife) by e-mail, but that when he realized who it was, he pretended to be someone else. A good client can turn into a bad client if his own clients start having cashflow problems and the domino effect does the rest. failing to answer subsequent e-mails is typical behaviour of someone who is in financial difficulty and failing to face his responsibilities. It really does seem like this guy is sticking his head in the sand as he is unable to pay.

That may be an explanation, but the fact remains, you should act immediately and as efficiently as possible to recover what is owed. Clients who run into financial difficulties are like machines with mechanical failure; before the machine stopped working, the machine was working. Sincreley, good luck with this and I hope you get your money. The sooner you act the better!
Collapse

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Warn him and contact the end client Aug 18, 2017

Cerise Meladone wrote:

What response did you receive from the entities you contacted about the situation?

They don't speak english so I couldn't have any communication.
I reached the French Ambassady and got in contact who someone speaking french, who took note of the case and told me he would contact me if anything arises from such information...

Dear Cerise,

in my professional career I had (and have) to deal with many different attempts for paying late or even trying not to pay. Partly without any excuse, the "illness" excuse is one of the more common ones.

What the debtor tries is to bamboozle you again: At first he doesn't pay you the money he owes you for a longer time period. And the next step is nearly unbelievable: He wants YOU to feel BAD just for exercising your rights of payment.

So my idea would be: Contact the debtor for a last time and say that you will start an intensive investigation and recovery process of the money after seven days. Then you can look at your translation delivered and for which end client it is. You also clearly communicate that any non-disclourse agreement must be waived in case of investigation of this possible criminal behaviour.

Then the next steps are:
1.) Contact the local bank of your customer.
2.) Contact PayPal or skrill/moneybookers or whatever payment service you have used.

I would definitely not give up too early. I had a similar incident with a customer even stating that he didn't know me. I contacted the end customer who was using the German translation at a fair in Germany and he fastly reconfirmed that the translation was ok. This large IT company was so fair to include the evidence of (their) payment.

I started the contact with the end client after the warning phase with the clear statement that I won't approach them for payment but just to look and feel what their suppliers do with their translators.

I am crossing my fingers.

Best regards

Gerd

Gaëlle L.G (X)
Gaëlle L.G (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A very friendly contact (laugh) Aug 19, 2017

Hey all,

I just got an answer from one of those guys based in Auroville, to whol I asked some kind help.

This is the answer I got; you will see how nice people they are)

Dear Gaelle,

While I'm terribly sorry about your predicament, please know their neither the Auroville 'authorities' nor I have time and willingness to really go into your problem.

All i
... See more
Hey all,

I just got an answer from one of those guys based in Auroville, to whol I asked some kind help.

This is the answer I got; you will see how nice people they are)

Dear Gaelle,

While I'm terribly sorry about your predicament, please know their neither the Auroville 'authorities' nor I have time and willingness to really go into your problem.

All is can do is try and get the contact details of a lawyer in Pondy with whom AV has had good results in the past. And no, I won't get in touch with such a lawyer for you.

I guess that it's best that you either get a cheap ticket and come to Pondy and sort it out; or grin & bear it and realise that you have been had. Such is life. This is India...

Sorry, if this is not what you expected from us!

With very best wishes,

AV.

Here are they contact should you need some help ^^:

General Info: Ms Mauna A.I. van der Vlugt; ‘Grace’; Auroville 605101; T.N. INDIA; www.auroville.org
tel: +91(413)2622.323, +9194431.68323; email: [email protected], [email protected]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
French to English
8-( Aug 20, 2017

Cerise,

For some people, when they get into financial schtook, any ploy is good to stick their head further in the sand. The person may not even be in financial difficulty, but just trying to get out of paying and laughing all the way to the bank. He has your work and he also has your money. This can happen anywhere; in the country where you are based, in a country close to where you are, or in a country far away. Recovery of sums due can be complicated in one's own country. Genera
... See more
Cerise,

For some people, when they get into financial schtook, any ploy is good to stick their head further in the sand. The person may not even be in financial difficulty, but just trying to get out of paying and laughing all the way to the bank. He has your work and he also has your money. This can happen anywhere; in the country where you are based, in a country close to where you are, or in a country far away. Recovery of sums due can be complicated in one's own country. Generally speaking, the further away the defaulting client is, the more complicated it becomes to recover one's due; the more expensive it becomes too.

You have worked with this person in the past. Things apparently went well. Were the previous jobs much smaller ones? If so, it may have been a ploy to gain your confidence before sending you a big job. It may not have been a ploy at all. Forget that though as it is wasted energy at this stage.

Don't give up though. You have probably spent enough time and energy yourself on this. Seek sound formal professional advice close to home.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to recover my 2700 Dollars ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »