Off topic: Article : What if companies interviewed translators the way they interview coders?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 23:10
English to French
Jun 27, 2017

Hello,

Nice article:

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/welcome-to-the-software-interview-ee673bc5ef6

Regards,

[Edited at 2017-06-27 08:51 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Translators are not coders, or even IT people, per se Jun 28, 2017

Translation is closer to writing than coding, so that would not be appropriate. it is an art more than anything else, even if you get paid for the work. Journalists do too, right--get paid?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apples and, oranges from Mars comparison Jun 29, 2017

The article is silly, but I suppose it appeals to the Millenial's can-do-anything mind and their besotted attitude towards anything coming from Silicon Valley.

I'm with Lilian on this one. The article reminds me of a brief exchange I had with someone on Twitter a couple years ago. He said that languages are like math, like equations or algebra. There are so many ways of telling him how wrong he is, but I just ignored him.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 22:10
Japanese to English
True to life Jun 29, 2017

The way the "translator" put up with ridiculous request after ridiculous request from the "potential client" before finally throwing in the towel was a little too lifelike *shudder*.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article : What if companies interviewed translators the way they interview coders?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »