Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Transcheck report much more effective in a .doc file Aug 28, 2016

esperantisto wrote:

Paolo Troiani wrote:
…LibreOffice… allows me to export only in .txt, .sxw, .odt formats

Not only. After you have produced an ODT file, you can export it to DOC or DOCX. But I still don’t understand, why not work entirely in LibreOffice.

[Edited at 2016-08-28 06:12 GMT]

Yes, you are right. Why should I keep using MS Word?

I need to open it in Word because it is a Transcheck report and, as far as I could find, needs MS Word.

I do not know if you are familiar with Wordfast 4 but, in any case, Transcheck is a Quality Assurance tool that generates this HTML report.
It highlights translation quality issues (i.e. consistency in punctuation, numbers, date, tags, identical sources, identical targets, etc.)
Basically, within each relevant segment, some parts that need to be changed, added or deleted are highlighted or track changes-deleted in order to ensure a consistent translation.
The core point is that the only application that keeps "the highlights" seems to be MS Word, unfortunately.
Excel and LibreOffice do open the HTML report, but do not keep the segment parts highlighted: you just can see them duplicated.
I mean, yes, you could still work with it, but you double the working time at least, not to mention that you can easily skip some issue.

[Edited at 2016-08-28 20:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-28 20:36 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 09:54
English to German
Use a browser to look at .html Aug 29, 2016

Paolo Troiani wrote:

The core point is that the only application that keeps "the highlights" seems to be MS Word, unfortunately.
Excel and LibreOffice do open the HTML report, but do not keep the segment parts highlighted: you just can see them duplicated.

I'm quite sure that Microsoft didn't equip Word with a special function for Transcheck. So the highlighted parts use Word's standard highlight tags, and thus the highlighting should be visible in any MS browser.

Browsers are THE means for looking at .html files. Using Word for .html is like using a crutch while having healthy legs: .html is a format that is not really editable (just like .pdf).

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Works for me Aug 29, 2016

Paolo Troiani wrote:

I do not know if you are familiar with Wordfast 4 but, in any case, Transcheck is a Quality Assurance tool that generates this HTML report.

No, I’m not familiar with WP4, but I use WF Anywhere sometimes. I switched to the WFP4 mode and called up Transcheck on one of my files. It produced a report containing a glossary warning. The respective source word was highlighted. I opened the HTML file both in LO Writer 5.0.2.1 and MSO Word 2010. In both cases, the highlighting was present (although the table in LO looked somewhat distorted).

Thus, I don’t see what could be wrong and why LO can’t be used (apart from the fact that HTML files are best viewed, yes, in browsers).

Paolo Troiani
Paolo Troiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:54
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will definitely use Chrome to open Transcheck Aug 29, 2016

esperantisto wrote:

Paolo Troiani wrote:

No, I’m not familiar with WP4, but I use WF Anywhere sometimes. I switched to the WFP4 mode and called up Transcheck on one of my files. It produced a report containing a glossary warning. The respective source word was highlighted. I opened the HTML file both in LO Writer 5.0.2.1 and MSO Word 2010. In both cases, the highlighting was present (although the table in LO looked somewhat distorted).

Thus, I don’t see what could be wrong and why LO can’t be used (apart from the fact that HTML files are best viewed, yes, in browsers).

Yes, In fact, when the Trasncheck report relates only to glossary consistency, it works fine in Excel and LibreOffice too, that's true.

The part which generates difficulties is when, as I said, "within each relevant segment, some parts that need to be changed, added or deleted are highlighted or track changes-deleted in order to ensure a consistent translation."
In these cases the relevant parts are simply duplicated.
Try to perform QA on same source with different targets and let me know.

Anyway, yes I will surely follow your advice and open it with Chrome. It Is quick and clean.
Thank a lot.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2007 does not open html files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »