How to stop receiving scam (unsolicited fake CV's)
Thread poster: Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 23, 2017

Does anyone have any suggestions how obvious scams with unsolicited fake CV's can be stopped? Almost every day I receive an unsolicited fake CV in a language pair that's not even mine. And they all raise flags in scamming databases: it's always a Gmail account and the attachments have the same naming convention.

Blocking the email address doesn't help, because the sender always uses a different email address. Ignoring obviously doesn't stop them/her/him. Would it be wise to reply sa
... See more
Does anyone have any suggestions how obvious scams with unsolicited fake CV's can be stopped? Almost every day I receive an unsolicited fake CV in a language pair that's not even mine. And they all raise flags in scamming databases: it's always a Gmail account and the attachments have the same naming convention.

Blocking the email address doesn't help, because the sender always uses a different email address. Ignoring obviously doesn't stop them/her/him. Would it be wise to reply saying mails have been forwarded to the authorities? Or to reply with explicit photographs? Something that makes them decide to remove my email address from their database? Or should I not reply at all? Has anyone been successful?

Thanks
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
NEVER reply! Mar 23, 2017

I understand your frustration, but you need to get your head round the notion that NOTHING you do can stop these people — so for your own sanity, the best thing to do is to filter the messages in your own e-mail client, for example. Maybe you could filter out all messages from a @gmail address that contain an attachment? I wish more people would do this! I know people argue that not ALL users of gmail are crooks... but what we CAN say is that almost all crooks are users of gmail (etc.)! That's... See more
I understand your frustration, but you need to get your head round the notion that NOTHING you do can stop these people — so for your own sanity, the best thing to do is to filter the messages in your own e-mail client, for example. Maybe you could filter out all messages from a @gmail address that contain an attachment? I wish more people would do this! I know people argue that not ALL users of gmail are crooks... but what we CAN say is that almost all crooks are users of gmail (etc.)! That's why I don't think any serious professional should be relying on gmail as their main professional address; and personally, I'd be prepared to lose a few genuine customers for the sake of avoiding the rogues. After all, if I have regular customers who do use gmail, there are usually ways of letting those specific addresses through.

The reason you should NEVER reply is that by so doing, you validate your e-mail address, which leaves you open to even MORE spam, as these people are perfectly capable of exchanging between themselves lists of validated e-mail addresses, which of course are even more valuable than random stabs in the dark. Effectively, if you reply, they can say to themselves "Ah, out of the 10,000 e-mails we've sent out, we have a bite!"

Just try to keep your cool and ignore them
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
They're proof of ID theft, so don't throw them away! Mar 23, 2017

@Toon Theuwis:
As somebody who's on the other end of that scam - i.e. potential victim of identity theft (btw. we ALL are!) - I'd ask you to forward those attachments to the http://www.translator-scammers.com/#n0, so that they can investigate who they were stolen from and the victims have a chance to find out.
Again, everybody, including you, can have their identity stolen and the only
... See more
@Toon Theuwis:
As somebody who's on the other end of that scam - i.e. potential victim of identity theft (btw. we ALL are!) - I'd ask you to forward those attachments to the http://www.translator-scammers.com/#n0, so that they can investigate who they were stolen from and the victims have a chance to find out.
Again, everybody, including you, can have their identity stolen and the only way to find out is when people who receive those bogus CVs act.

[Edited at 2017-03-23 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Block them Mar 23, 2017

Toon Theuwis wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions how obvious scams with unsolicited fake CV's can be stopped?

I suggest you add anti-tracking software to your browser. You are being tracked (probably via your Google searches).

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Report them to a blacklist Mar 23, 2017

I receive approximately three or four such emails a day. They are mostly well known scams (basically stolen profiles) or spam services based upon age-old lists. The best we can do is to report them to SpamCop.

You can easily do so without even downloading these emails by getting a SpamCop account and installing an email cleaner that does the reporting to SpamCop for you (as well as helping you stay protected from scams and other threats): FireTrust MailWasher. You can easily configu
... See more
I receive approximately three or four such emails a day. They are mostly well known scams (basically stolen profiles) or spam services based upon age-old lists. The best we can do is to report them to SpamCop.

You can easily do so without even downloading these emails by getting a SpamCop account and installing an email cleaner that does the reporting to SpamCop for you (as well as helping you stay protected from scams and other threats): FireTrust MailWasher. You can easily configure MailWasher to allow to you report spam with a couple of clics. By reporting spam, we can help protect the Internet community against these people who steal our time with no sign of remorse.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to stop receiving scam (unsolicited fake CV's)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »