Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:30
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 24, 2012

SDL keeps bombarding me with advertising e-mails saying that it is a great solution. I am wondering if anyone has tried it - the description on their website is very general. Also does anyone know the price? Somehow SDL does not mention it on their website.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:30
Finnish to French
Looks like something aimed at agencies, not translators Jan 24, 2012

Stanislaw Czech wrote:
SDL keeps bombarding me with advertising e-mails saying that it is a great solution. I am wondering if anyone has tried it - the description on their website is very general. Also does anyone know the price? Somehow SDL does not mention it on their website.

There's a webinar about it in a few hours:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/events/translation-agency/january2012/2012-01-25-groupshare-webinar-am.asp

I don't think you (as a translator) would want to buy it, it looks like it's aimed primarily at agencies.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
SDL Studio GroupShare = scaled-down TM Server 2011 Jan 31, 2012

Based on what I see here (http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/Introducing/Supported_TM_Formats.htm ) and in the product brief available at www.sdl.com/groupshare, GroupShare is just a scaled-down version of TM Server 2011, the s... See more
Based on what I see here (http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/Introducing/Supported_TM_Formats.htm ) and in the product brief available at www.sdl.com/groupshare, GroupShare is just a scaled-down version of TM Server 2011, the successor of TM Server 2009. SDL must have felt the heat from memoQ server, which is available at a very attractive price for small groups (http://kilgray.com/editions/serverfive ).

A related question: can Studio 2011 access TM Server 2009 TM's, but Studio 2009 cannot access GroupShare/TM Server 2011 TM's?
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
English
Incorrect Jan 31, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Based on what I see here (http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/Introducing/Supported_TM_Formats.htm ) and in the product brief available at www.sdl.com/groupshare, GroupShare is just a scaled-down version of TM Server 2011, the successor of TM Server 2009.

GroupShare is the name of a product that can contain three components... TM Server, MT Server and Project Server. So TM Server is actually one of the components of this new product.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
A related question: can Studio 2011 access TM Server 2009 TM's, but Studio 2009 cannot access GroupShare/TM Server 2011 TM's?

Studio 2009 can work with:
- TM Server 2009 SP3
- TM sharing in GroupShare
- MultiTerm Server 2009 SP3
- Terminology sharing in GroupShare

Studio 2011 can work with:
- TM Server 2009 SP3
- Project sharing in GroupShare

Regards

Paul

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Thanks for the corrections! Jan 31, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
GroupShare is the name of a product that can contain three components... TM Server, MT Server and Project Server. So TM Server is actually one of the components of this new product.

Thanks Paul, I stand corrected! Does it mean TM Server can no longer be purchased alone, only as part of GroupShare?

SDL Support wrote:
- TM Server 2009 SP3

- TM Server 2009 SP3

OK, so Project sharing is the only feature of GroupShare Studio 2009 is not compatible with? How about MT Server (did it exist under another name in a previous version?): can Studio 2009 work with it, or only Studio 2011?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
GroupShare naming conventions Jan 31, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Thanks Paul, I stand corrected! Does it mean TM Server can no longer be purchased alone, only as part of GroupShare?

GroupShare is really the overall name for the sharing solutions, so what users knew as TM Server will now be called GroupShare instead but if you only want this module then it will be provided on the basis of this configuration GroupShare 1 Translation memory.

So there are five congurations as follows:

GroupShare 1 Translation memory
GroupShare 1 Terminology
GroupShare 2 Translation memory and Terminology
GroupShare 2 Translation memory and Translation projects
GroupShare 3 with all 3 modules

Dominique Pivard wrote:
SDL Support wrote:
- TM Server 2009 SP3

- TM Server 2009 SP3

OK, so Project sharing is the only feature of GroupShare Studio 2009 is not compatible with? How about MT Server (did it exist under another name in a previous version?): can Studio 2009 work with it, or only Studio 2011?

You need these bits in bold to answer your question I think:

- TM Server 2009 SP3

Regards

Paul

Scriptor
Scriptor  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Nobody's tried it ?! Aug 30, 2012

We are also curious about GroupShare. But it looks as if no one has tried it, or at least no one willing to admit it here. Also could find no independent reviews on the web. hrmmm....

Erik Matson
Erik Matson  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:30
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Overpriced Jun 18, 2013

Scriptor wrote:

We are also curious about GroupShare. But it looks as if no one has tried it, or at least no one willing to admit it here. Also could find no independent reviews on the web. hrmmm....

This is because it is still WAY overpriced...it's as if they don't care if anybody buys it or not. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't make this product more affordable and accessible to freelancers such as myself who are looking to expand. I had to do a lot of digging to come up with a price.

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Pricing information Jun 20, 2013

Erik Matson wrote:

Scriptor wrote:

This is because it is still WAY overpriced...it's as if they don't care if anybody buys it or not. I can't for the life of me understand why they don't make this product more affordable and accessible to freelancers such as myself who are looking to expand. I had to do a lot of digging to come up with a price.

Dear Erik,
I am from SDL.

We certainly do care if people buy it If my boss sees your comment I am going to find myself in a lot of trouble!!

I must say it is geared up more for Translation Agencies and Corporations. Although we are looking at options for freelancers and whether we can have in the future an alternative solution.

When it comes to pricing - true - a few years ago TM Server and MultiTerm Server were on the high end, but I would say since 2010 the prices of GroupShare have been reduced significantly and are much more affordable.

The price does depend on the configuration etc. but we are changing as a company and we are more flexible and willing to create GroupShare bundles which are very competitively prices. It does depends on nr. of users etc.

I did think to reply to the thread - although I might get scolded for this! - as sometimes although we change things, it takes a long time for information to pervade the translation industry. Of course you might look at our GroupShare price and still think it is too expensive, but on the other hand is a lot cheaper than TM Server and MultiTerm Server used to be ...

Finally - I am not sure about independent reviews on GroupShare ... we do have some case studies on our website - http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/case-studies/default.asp
which although they are customer case studies I know you could not class as independent...:)

Regards
Massi

RobReno
RobReno  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:30
What is the price? Aug 16, 2013

ghislandi wrote:

Erik Matson wrote:

Scriptor wrote:

Dear Erik,
I am from SDL.

We certainly do care if people buy it If my boss sees your comment I am going to find myself in a lot of trouble!!

I must say it is geared up more for Translation Agencies and Corporations. Although we are looking at options for freelancers and whether we can have in the future an alternative solution.

When it comes to pricing - true - a few years ago TM Server and MultiTerm Server were on the high end, but I would say since 2010 the prices of GroupShare have been reduced significantly and are much more affordable.

The price does depend on the configuration etc. but we are changing as a company and we are more flexible and willing to create GroupShare bundles which are very competitively prices. It does depends on nr. of users etc.

I did think to reply to the thread - although I might get scolded for this! - as sometimes although we change things, it takes a long time for information to pervade the translation industry. Of course you might look at our GroupShare price and still think it is too expensive, but on the other hand is a lot cheaper than TM Server and MultiTerm Server used to be ...

Finally - I am not sure about independent reviews on GroupShare ... we do have some case studies on our website - http://www.translationzone.com/en/resources/downloads/case-studies/default.asp
which although they are customer case studies I know you could not class as independent...:)

Regards
Massi

Where can I find he cost information?

sdl_andy
sdl_andy
Consultant email Aug 19, 2013

Hi

I'll organise one of the team in your area to contact you with pricing information.

Kind regards

Andy.

RobReno
RobReno  Identity Verified
Thanks Aug 26, 2013

sdl_andy wrote:

Hi

I'll organise one of the team in your area to contact you with pricing information.

Kind regards

Andy.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Natascha Daiminger
Natascha Daiminger  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Pricing May 20, 2014

Hi,

I would be interested in the pricing as well. Can anyone from SDL get back to me about this? I couldn't find a way to connect to anyone from SDL on their website in regards to this which is kind of weird.
Does it come with a support in case there are any questions coming up? Or is it sold without any support like anything else from SDL?
Thanks in advance for the information!

Best regards,

Natascha Daiminger

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sales team May 20, 2014

Hi Natascha,

I have asked one of our sales team to get in touch with you.

On support... all SDL products come with support if you want, and if you want to find out more on this or any of the products just go to the SDL website, click on Products and select SDL Groupshare : http://www.sdl.com/products/sdl-studio-groupshare/

Regards

Paul

Grzegorz Kurek
Grzegorz Kurek
Poland
French to Polish
+ ...
Using GroupShare May 21, 2014

Scriptor wrote:

Hi Scirptor,

I currently use the GroupShare in my work. The server is based in the agency and there are several translators/proofreaders working on big projects (more than 1 million words), sharing the same TM (continously updated by all translators) and the same files.

The project team is composed from in-house translators/proofreaders and freelancers, connected to the server by the Internet. The files for translations and proofreading are checked out and in from/to server and we all have the certitude to work on the latest version of each file.

For such big projects this is a very confortable way of working, depending of course on the speed of your net connection.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GroupShare has anyone tried it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »