Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:41
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 21, 2016

Hi everybody, I have a little questions about trados behavior with tags.
In order to select a tag from the source segment, I have to use a shortcut (named quickinsert) and then select the chosen tag from a dropdown menu.
This process can be very time-consuming in documents full of tags.
On the other hand, cat tools like Memoq, Memsource, XTM and so on have an automatic way of insert tags. In memoq for example I have simply to press the F9 key to insert a tag, without having to
... See more
Hi everybody, I have a little questions about trados behavior with tags.
In order to select a tag from the source segment, I have to use a shortcut (named quickinsert) and then select the chosen tag from a dropdown menu.
This process can be very time-consuming in documents full of tags.
On the other hand, cat tools like Memoq, Memsource, XTM and so on have an automatic way of insert tags. In memoq for example I have simply to press the F9 key to insert a tag, without having to choose it from a drop-down menu with the arrows keys. Do you know if it is possible to reproduce this behavior also in trados? It would save me a lot of time.
Thank you for your help!
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not exactly... Oct 21, 2016

Studio doesn't have this feature, but you can speed things up considerably by using Ctrl+Alt+Right Arrow to quickly cycle through and insert the tags, or use Ctrl+Left Mouse Click (clicking on the tag or tag section you want to add).

Attila Kalmár

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nora! Oct 21, 2016

Nora Diaz wrote:

Studio doesn't have this feature, but you can speed things up considerably by using Ctrl+Alt+Right Arrow to quickly cycle through and insert the tags, or use Ctrl+Left Mouse Click (clicking on the tag or tag section you want to add).

I think this would be very helpful.
Of course, the Memoq solution would have been better but I should be able to speed up the process a bit with your suggestion
Thank you very much!

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Lots of tags Oct 21, 2016

Some documents have a lot of tags - for no good reason. It can be a poorly prepared document with lots of style changes (do-undo type style changes). For ms word, I use codezapper to remove redundant code and this can greatly help. Read more here:
http://www.translationtribulations.com/2011/10/new-version-of-codezapper.html

Maybe this is obv
... See more
Some documents have a lot of tags - for no good reason. It can be a poorly prepared document with lots of style changes (do-undo type style changes). For ms word, I use codezapper to remove redundant code and this can greatly help. Read more here:
http://www.translationtribulations.com/2011/10/new-version-of-codezapper.html

Maybe this is obvious, but if tags and text in segments is too long or complex, I copy the source to target and then insert the translation where it best fits, which is not always possible due to different sentence structure in my target language. Otherwise I use the keyboard shortcuts Nora mentions. My preferred method is to first select the text that needs to get the tag pair around it, and then cycle through the pairs.

This overview might be handy:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/09/10/working_with_tags/
Collapse

Steinar Beddari
Steinar Beddari  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Memoq crushes Trados on tags Jul 4, 2017

Today I tried to work in Trados on some video game content with tags, because of a technical issue with MemoQ. I just gave up trying to move tags from source to target efficiently, and ended up simply copying the entire source and work from there.

No, SDL, there's no way I'm reaching for the mouse to insert tags while I'm typing. It's also terribly cubersome with the keyboard. This is the fastest way I've found:

- hit ctrl+alt+right (seriously?), 3 presses
- cycle
... See more
Today I tried to work in Trados on some video game content with tags, because of a technical issue with MemoQ. I just gave up trying to move tags from source to target efficiently, and ended up simply copying the entire source and work from there.

No, SDL, there's no way I'm reaching for the mouse to insert tags while I'm typing. It's also terribly cubersome with the keyboard. This is the fastest way I've found:

- hit ctrl+alt+right (seriously?), 3 presses
- cycle to the right tag in the segment (Trados doesn't care if you already inserted a tag), x presses
- deselect (with another arrow key), 1 press
- navigate to within the inserted tag, 1 press
- type text
- arrow key again to jump over the tag, 1 press

This is really the quickest way that I know of, and it's ridiculously slow compared to just hitting ctrl to insert the next half-tag in MemoQ, which doesn't even require you to move your hand away from the default position (though sometimes you have to select a tag in the list if they come in a different order in your translation).

I'm really unhappy with this part of Trados, and for this sole reason I would never have bought it if clients didn't require it. For the price, this really should be better - how hard can it be to fix?
Collapse

jin_mts
Daccab
Pablo Lammers

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Probably as hard as it is to read the manual ;-) Jul 4, 2017

SteinarB wrote:

I'm really unhappy with this part of Trados, and for this sole reason I would never have bought it if clients didn't require it. For the price, this really should be better - how hard can it be to fix?

Seriously though, there are a few ways to handle tags:

1. Using the product - https://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/09/10/working_with_tags/

2. Using an app - http://appstore.sdl.com/app/copy-tags/758/

3. Using AHK - https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/400/t/12964

Hope something here helps you.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Ctrl + Alt + right arrow doesn't work anymore Jul 27, 2017

Hi
I find this command very interesting, but.... after changing a few settings (concerning other features) I cannot manage tags and terms as easily as before.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically insert tags in trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »