Rachael Ellis (X)
Rachael Ellis (X)
Spain
Local time: 15:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2017

Hello,

I uploaded a word document to Trados 2017 using the "translate single file" option (no project package). I have completed the translation, ran the batch task to finalise it, etc. And then cliked to export file, all good. However, when I try to open the exported word document, it says there is an error with the file and it cannot open. There are no tags in the text so tags are not an issue... I am able to open the document with word pad but it only shows the first page of 6,0
... See more
Hello,

I uploaded a word document to Trados 2017 using the "translate single file" option (no project package). I have completed the translation, ran the batch task to finalise it, etc. And then cliked to export file, all good. However, when I try to open the exported word document, it says there is an error with the file and it cannot open. There are no tags in the text so tags are not an issue... I am able to open the document with word pad but it only shows the first page of 6,000+ words. If I email it to myself, I can read it on my phone but cannot open it in Word on my laptop or the Word app on my phone. I have repeated the "export file" task various times, I have saved the target file and tried opening it that way... no joy.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or can advise what the issue might be? I translate files like this all the time and never have any issues...

Thanks!!
Collapse

William Banfield
William Banfield  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2013)
Dutch to English
+ ...
word version? Jun 28, 2017

Maybe your file was created in Word 2017. I have noticed that Trados 2017 somehow seems to recognise that a Word file was created in Word 2017 and then saves the target in Word 2017. While the original opens perfectly well in Word 2007.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
What extension does the document have? Jun 28, 2017

Two questions: Can you open the original document? What extension does it have?

And what extension does the exported document have? If it is .docx, then the document will open in the later versions of Word, but not Word 2007, which expect the .doc extension, which is a different format from .docx.

(And by the way, as far as I know, Words 2016 is the latest version, and which is the version I myself uses.)

Roy

Rachael Ellis (X)
Rachael Ellis (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 28, 2017

Thank you for both of your comments, I was in a rush (and a panic) earlier to export the document and after reviewing it again now, I located just one pair of tags around an email address that seemed to have caused the issue.

I removed the tags and email address, saved the target section as a blank section and then exported the file again and it worked! Very strange that the tags only allowed me to export the document up to the point where the tags were located in the text... maybe
... See more
Thank you for both of your comments, I was in a rush (and a panic) earlier to export the document and after reviewing it again now, I located just one pair of tags around an email address that seemed to have caused the issue.

I removed the tags and email address, saved the target section as a blank section and then exported the file again and it worked! Very strange that the tags only allowed me to export the document up to the point where the tags were located in the text... maybe a bug. I haven't come across that issue before.

Thanks again for your input.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export File Issue Trados 2017

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »