Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:00
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Jul 3, 2017

I have done about 40% of a job, when the agency told me that the end customer has asked that the job is put on ice.

In case the job is cancelled, how do I calucate what to invoice for this job? When I run an analysis, I only get the same result as the first analysis before I started the job, and a word count only gives the total word count, not split into the same categories as an analysis.

I could, of course, base the calculation on the process bar, in that I see how m
... See more
I have done about 40% of a job, when the agency told me that the end customer has asked that the job is put on ice.

In case the job is cancelled, how do I calucate what to invoice for this job? When I run an analysis, I only get the same result as the first analysis before I started the job, and a word count only gives the total word count, not split into the same categories as an analysis.

I could, of course, base the calculation on the process bar, in that I see how much of the job I should do from the start (I was not supposed to touch 100% segments or repetitions), and then see how much of the job has been done.

Let's say the weighted amounts of words to be done was 4,000 words at start, which amounted to 50% of the file (when 100% and repetitions were excluded)
71% was finished when the stop order came. I could then calculate that I had done 42% of the total, based on 4,000 words. (i.e. 1680 word equivalents)

What I would have liked, though, was a similar analysis as at the start, where what I have left, is split into fuzzyness. Is this possible?

Roy
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What is the format of the source document? Jul 3, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I could, of course, base the calculation on the process bar, in that I see how much of the job I should do from the start (I was not supposed to touch 100% segments or repetitions), and then see how much of the job has been done.

Let's say the weighted amounts of words to be done was 4,000 words at start, which amounted to 50% of the file (when 100% and repetitions were excluded)
71% was finished when the stop order came. I could then calculate that I had done 42% of the total, based on 4,000 words. (i.e. 1680 word equivalents)

What I would have liked, though, was a similar analysis as at the start, where what I have left, is split into fuzzyness. Is this possible?

Roy

If you started this job from scratch, let's say a Word document, the answer is quite simple: cut and paste the part done in a new Wordfile and do your maths.

If the job was delivered as a package, I am not so sure, but there must be a way to use the same MO. I was thinking of opening the target Trados file, delete the untranslated part and start counting. Never did it myself, but might be a possibility.

Or maybe there is a feature in Studio I am not aware of. Hopefully someone else knows.

Succes.

[Edited at 2017-07-03 09:39 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The file is an sdlcliff file, and the source file is an mfi file or something Jul 3, 2017

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
If you started this job from scratch, let's say a Word document, the answer is quite simple: cut and paste the part done in a new Wordfile and do your maths.

If the job was delivered as a package, I am not so sure, but there must be a way to use the same MO. I was thinking of opening the target Trados file, delete the untranslated part and start counting. Never did it myself, but might be a possibility.

Thanks. The source document is Indesign or something like that, which I don't have, so even though your suggestion is excellent, I need a way for an sdlxliff file as the source file.

From what you suggest perhaps I lock all segments that have been done, export the rest and create a Word document from it which I could do the analysis on. It would have been nice to have some option in Studio which gave a similar analysis midway in the project.

If the agency used Dejavu, I could have used a word count as a basis, but the agency is only using Studio, so I doubt that would be satisfactory.

Roy

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Batch task "analysis" on target language file. Jul 3, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

When I run an analysis, I only get the same result as the first analysis before I started the job, and a word count only gives the total word count, not split into the same categories as an analysis.

Roy

You're on the right track, but you need to run the analysis from your target language file, not source language. Then, go to Reports (bottom lefthand corner) and the top "Analyze" will show the latest analysis with remaining new words and fuzzies to translate, and the one below it will show the original analysis.
Then you should be able to work out what you've completed.

HTH,
Emma

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I choose target language for analysis? Jul 3, 2017

In the File window, I choose Norwegian (my target language), right click on the file, which now says 71% finished. At the bottom the original analysis is given with for instance 1274 no match words.

I choose analysis, go to the Report window and choose the topmost analysis report under Norwegian.
Report says "new/AT 1274". The original report just under also says "new/AT 1274".

In actual fact, since I've finished 2/3 of the file, the amount of new words should b
... See more
In the File window, I choose Norwegian (my target language), right click on the file, which now says 71% finished. At the bottom the original analysis is given with for instance 1274 no match words.

I choose analysis, go to the Report window and choose the topmost analysis report under Norwegian.
Report says "new/AT 1274". The original report just under also says "new/AT 1274".

In actual fact, since I've finished 2/3 of the file, the amount of new words should be about 400, not 1274.

So what am I doing wrong?

Roy
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Are you running the batch task "Analyze"? Jul 3, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

In the File window, I choose Norwegian (my target language), right click on the file,
Roy

Then select batch tasks> analyze files. After running this analysis, then go to the reports window.

If you have the same number of new words in the new and old analysis, then your TM isn't updating (or you're updating a different TM).

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Another solution Jul 3, 2017

Just lock all the segments you have finished, then run another analysis and select the option to analyse all locked segments separately. Deduct the remaining non-locked segments from the original analysis and there you go...

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation has been done in Dejavu Jul 3, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
If you have the same number of new words in the new and old analysis, then your TM isn't updating (or you're updating a different TM).

I see. That explains it then. I am doing the translation in Dejavu, copying back the translated sdlxliff file and opening it in the files section. But I didn't go through it to ensure the segments were copied into the TM. I will try that, then, and see what the result will be.

Thanks again for your suggestion. When I got the translated segments into the TM, the new words fell to 788 from 1296, which seems least is realistic.

Roy

[Edited at 2017-07-03 14:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I calculate work done on a partly done job? Studio 2017

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »