Thread poster: Oksana Gerasymets
Oksana Gerasymets
Oksana Gerasymets  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Sep 28, 2014

Has anyone registered for this event? It is fully booked, but I had joined the waiting list over a month ago and secured a ticket. The event will take place in 2 months, so you still have time and might got lucky. I think we can go as a group, and then have a nice talk over a cup of coffee.

In Conversation with Noam Chomsky
... See more
Has anyone registered for this event? It is fully booked, but I had joined the waiting list over a month ago and secured a ticket. The event will take place in 2 months, so you still have time and might got lucky. I think we can go as a group, and then have a nice talk over a cup of coffee.

http://www.britac.ac.uk/events/2014/In_Conversation_with_Noam_Chomsky.cfm

Wednesday 26 November 2014, 6-7.30pm
Venue: The Royal Society, 6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AG

Professor Noam Chomsky’s work over the past 60 years has profoundly changed the way we think about language. In this event he talks about his reflections on a lifetime of linguistics research and as one of the leading thinkers of our time.

About the speaker:
Noam Chomsky, linguist, philosopher and political activist, is Emeritus Professor of Linguistics and Philosophy at MIT. He was elected to the Fellowship of the British Academy in 1974.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS EVENT IS CURRENTLY FULLY BOOKED. IN ORDER TO JOIN THE WAITING LIST FOR THIS EVENT, PLEASE FOLLOW THE REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.

[Edited at 2014-09-28 08:01 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Sep 28, 2014

Thanks Oksana - I went to a Chomsky lecture at UCL a few years ago. He had a prodigious quantity of notes with him, and referred to them constantly.

Unfortunately he also has terrible glottal fry, which I cannot abide. Here's an explanation of what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsE5mysfZsY

or eve
... See more
Thanks Oksana - I went to a Chomsky lecture at UCL a few years ago. He had a prodigious quantity of notes with him, and referred to them constantly.

Unfortunately he also has terrible glottal fry, which I cannot abide. Here's an explanation of what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsE5mysfZsY

or even better, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqVgtLQ7qM

It's a shame because his analyses of language are very interesting. You'd think he'd pay more attention to the sound of the human voice, and the beauty of good speaking !

[Edited at 2014-09-28 09:47 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's normal American speech, Tom Sep 28, 2014

The presenter of this video also suffers from it, but she probably doesn't realise it, because that's the normal level of fry used by Americans (i.e. United States speakers) generally.

==
Added:

Oh, yes, I see what you mean (in this video). But if you download the video using e.g. this program and then play it in VLC Player with the graphic equalizer enabled and set to the "Techno" preset (believe it!), then it sounds much more listenable. In VLC Player, go to Tools > Effects and Filters > (enable the graphic equalizer) > (select the Techno preset from the dropdown list).

[Edited at 2014-09-28 13:43 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:42
Russian to English
+ ...
Great--I think he should have a seminar in New York as well. Sep 28, 2014

We feel slightly neglected. He is a great linguist--I have always appreciated him as one of the greatest linguists, and studied with someone who was his student.

He speaks in beautiful clear English--I just double-checked. There is nothing wrong with his English whatsoever. Many scientists and artists are more introvert--this may be w
... See more
We feel slightly neglected. He is a great linguist--I have always appreciated him as one of the greatest linguists, and studied with someone who was his student.

He speaks in beautiful clear English--I just double-checked. There is nothing wrong with his English whatsoever. Many scientists and artists are more introvert--this may be why. They are not salesmen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i_W6Afed2k

[Edited at 2014-09-28 11:50 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:42
Russian to English
+ ...
please delete, sorry Sep 28, 2014

extra.

[Edited at 2014-09-28 11:54 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »