Thread poster: Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
How about law on defamation? Oct 17, 2017

Very dangerous option, do not forget laws about defamation in "most" European countries.
This is not ebay.
For example, should a non/late payer rate me 1 in bad faith or because of the bad faith of a given proofreader, I will have the right to sue, and even regardless of the "truth criterion"

For example according to art. 595 3rd paragraph of the criminal Italian code defamation and injuries are wrongful conduct capable of causing a professional harm
compensabl
... See more
Very dangerous option, do not forget laws about defamation in "most" European countries.
This is not ebay.
For example, should a non/late payer rate me 1 in bad faith or because of the bad faith of a given proofreader, I will have the right to sue, and even regardless of the "truth criterion"

For example according to art. 595 3rd paragraph of the criminal Italian code defamation and injuries are wrongful conduct capable of causing a professional harm
compensable under the Law, whether the statement is true or not.

In my opinion, (I am not a lawier) giving 1 to a translator with the comment (for example) "she provided a bad job" will surely cause harm to that professional.

Remember please "truth criterion" DOES NOT APPLY in most European Jurisdictions... so said improvement could easily become a nest of snakes,

This is my opinion.

[Edited at 2017-10-18 06:41 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
settings > remove account Oct 17, 2017

Dinny wrote:

I was checking whether there was a nice little button on my profile page, like "Terminate membership", but apparently I will have to spend time on finding out how to leave. Hopefully, it won't be as complicated as on Facebook!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not trolling (honest) but... Oct 17, 2017

Why is it a problem being rated by your customers?
Why is it not an opportunity to stand out from the crowd?
Why is this a reason to leave?

I've never had work off here so will presumably still not be rated on here anyway.

Ramey Rieger (X)
Ramey Rieger (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
There already IS a WWA?? Oct 17, 2017

I don't get it!? My clients gladly give feedback, what has changed? It looks good on my profile when clients have lauded my work. What am I missing??

philgoddard

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Only positive comments now Oct 17, 2017

Ramey Rieger wrote:

I don't get it!? My clients gladly give feedback, what has changed? It looks good on my profile when clients have lauded my work. What am I missing??

What we are discussing is the possibility to also enter the negative ones, and the possibility to rate us 1-5

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Could be interesting... Oct 17, 2017

Álvaro Espantaleón wrote:
ProZ will now rank translators, who will become a commodity ranked from 1 to 5.

It would be interesting to mine it for translator excuses (i.e. replies written by translators after receiving a negative review).

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Very controversial and dangerous Oct 17, 2017

Chris S wrote:

Why is it a problem being rated by your customers?
Why is it not an opportunity to stand out from the crowd?
Why is this a reason to leave?

I've never had work off here so will presumably still not be rated on here anyway.

Because clients are different. High end and low end and between. There are clients who don't care about quality and they choose the lowest rate translators, many low rate/low quality translators have extremely many "satisfied" clients (sometimes they have more "satisfied" clients than a really good translator). What they are doing is simply mass-production. Quantity what matters and not quality. These clients don't know/care about the real quality of the translation. The translator submitted the translation on time, clients send the money, and everybody seems to be happy. Except the end client, who will sooner or later find out about the "quality" of the translation...

Having too many good rates given by clients (agencies) doesn't mean that the person is a good translator.
It just means that the translator satisfied the needs of her/his clients, but the question is: did she/he work for clients who can and willing to measure quality? And since these questions should be asked before every single WWA, so this ranking is absolutely controversial and at the end it will ruin the market.

If this controversial and dangerous WWA ranking will be implemented these low quality/low rate translators will be ranked as Nr. 1 in this directory.

[Edited at 2017-10-18 08:30 GMT]

Connected Tr (X)
Connected Tr (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
What does five stars mean? Oct 17, 2017

Ranking in this way could be useful, but you have to be clear what each of the star ratings means—otherwise, for some people, five stars might simply mean that the translator was very good and there was nothing wrong, while for others it might only be used for people whom the client sees as having gone 'above and beyond'. I don't really see the point of it, however, when clients can already leave a more informative text comment anyway.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Angie Oct 17, 2017

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Very dangerous option, do not forget laws about defamation in European countries.

Defamation is not an issue if the service provider specifically opts in to receive reviews.

In this sense, the translator WWAs are still different from the Blue Board, because translators can choose not to display their WWAs (though they can't pick and choose, if I understand correctly), whereas outsourcers on the Blue Board can't opt out of reviews (though they can opt out of being listed altogether).

[Edited at 2017-10-17 15:26 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Different legal systems across the EU, varying rules. Oct 17, 2017

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Very dangerous option, do not forget laws about defamation in European countries.
This is not ebay.

compensable under the Law, whether the statement us true or not.

In my opinion, (I am not a lawier) giving 1 to a translator with the comment (for example) "she provided a bad job" will surely cause harm to that professional.

Remember please "truth criterion" DOES NOT APPLY in most European Jurisdictions... so said improvement could easily become a nest of snakes,

This is my opinion.

[Edited at 2017-10-17 14:44 GMT]

Defamation in England and Wales can only be upheld if what is being said is untrue.
Defamation in France is defamation. If it turns out to be true, it makes litle or no difference to the charge being upheld. It might - only might - make some difference to the "cost" at the end.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Not worried. Apply for and get no jobs through ProZ. Oct 17, 2017

So what is there to worry about?

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I said MOST not all Oct 17, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Defamation in England and Wales can only be upheld if what is being said is untrue.
Defamation in France is defamation. If it turns out to be true, it makes litle or no difference to the charge being upheld. It might - only might - make some difference to the "cost" at the end.

I think most is sufficient.

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
You can be right Oct 17, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Defamation is not an issue if the service provider specifically opts in to receive reviews.

In this sense, the translator WWAs are still different from the Blue Board, because translators can choose not to display their WWAs (though they can't pick and choose, if I understand correctly), whereas outsourcers on the Blue Board can't opt out of reviews (though they can opt out of being listed altogether).

I am not sure in this sense. A lawier opinion is needed

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katalin Oct 17, 2017

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
If this controversial and dangerous WWA ranking will be implemented these low quality/low rate translators will be ranked as Nr. 1 in this directory.

I think that even low-paying clients have great expectations. It is not true that most low-paying clients will be happy with rubbish translators. A translator who renders an unprofessional service will get low ratings from both cheap and expensive clients.

In fact, in my experience, many low-paying agencies have the most unrealistic expectations and are the most difficult to please.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@Samuel Oct 17, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

I think that even low-paying clients have great expectations. It is not true that most low-paying clients will be happy with rubbish translators. A translator who renders an unprofessional service will get low ratings from both cheap and expensive clients.

In fact, in my experience, many low-paying agencies have the most unrealistic expectations and are the most difficult to please.

You said it correctly: "expectations". Expectations and results are 2 different things. Yes, there are many low-paying clients who want the best quality translators but many of them don't get them (hopefully sooner or later they will never get the best quality translators for low rates). Furthermore since they are low end clients they don't have the skills/expertise to measure the quality what their translators are submitting.

It's time for a change: Trash should be trash and treasure should be treasure.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

¡Finally here! WWA rating for translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »