Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
sdlxliff files, no Trados: what to use instead?
Thread poster: ikb
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
Finnish to French
For true geeks only Sep 20, 2012

IanDhu wrote:
If you take the file saved in Notepad and then edit it in Word, you can use the wildcard search & replace to take out and placemark the < material between angle brackets >. Save the word file, store it and work on a copy of it, as a colleague has suggested.

This method will appeal to the 0.1% of translators who are as geeky as yourself...

Roman Mironov
Roman Mironov
Local time: 21:00
English to Russian
+ ...
OmegaT is excellent for SDLXLIFF, but you still need Stidio for some tasks Oct 14, 2012

I'm using OmegaT to translate SDLXLIFF files. But I found that it's crucial, at least for me, to have SDL Trados Studio 2011 as well. First, OmegaT needs segmented files, so if you get an unsegmented file from a client, you need to start by segmenting it using Studio. Then, after you complete translation and save the target file, you want to open the resulting SDLXLIFF file in Studio and check to see if all is fine.

Vladimir Zakharov
Vladimir Zakharov
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:00
Russian to English
+ ...
SmartCAT Dec 26, 2016

I know it's an old topic, but I stumbled upon it accidentally and thought to give my 5 cents: SmartCAT (http://www.smartcat.ai/freelance) supports not only SDLXLIFFs but also Trados Studio packages. It is also completely free to use and Cloud-based, so you don't need to install anything.

Full disclosure: I work for SmartCAT.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Heartsome Oct 19, 2017

Heartsome, which is free now, can open SDLXLIFF files.

Slavis
Slavis  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:00
English to Polish
+ ...
DataXSL com Jan 23, 2018

We have been using Dataxsl com for some time and it works way better than regular SDL converter.

Jean Hanyurwabake
Jean Hanyurwabake
Rwanda
Local time: 20:00
English to Kinyarwanda
+ ...
help Jan 11, 2021

Hello Can anyone here help me with Sdlxlif link for download?

Innocent NDOCK KONG (X)
Innocent NDOCK KONG (X)
Cameroon
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT doesn't open DSLXLIFF Dec 8, 2021

Sorry, I haven't been able to open DSLXLIFF file through through OmegaT

tcordonniery
tcordonniery
France
DGT-OmegaT and filter for SDLXLIFF Sep 28, 2022

ikb wrote:
I know about OmegaT (...), and I don't know if it handles these files properly (at a first test it seemed to fail, I got shown lots of weird strings and characters).

If you use the filter which is in OmegaT core, it is, indeed, very poor for XLIFF and its variants.
Maybe you also tried Okapi filter, which is a plugin: significantly better for XLIFF, but for SDLXLIFF specifically, some problems remain

Before you totally abandon the idea of using OmegaT you could try:
- DGT-OmegaT ( http://185.13.37.79/?q=node/31 ), which contains some added features specially for SDLXLIFF: http://185.13.37.79/?q=node/32
For example, DGT-OmegaT can display the original file (the one which is encapsulated in the SDLXLIFF), which standard OmegaT cannot.
- or, if you continue with recent OmegaT, then part of DGT's features are in a plugin: http://185.13.37.79:8003/index.php/p/stax-filters/downloads/51/
We have used it for years for SDLXLIFF, and continue to try to have it more and more compatible with this format. If you try and find some issues, report them here and I will check if I can improve my filters.

[Edited at 2022-09-28 15:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sdlxliff files, no Trados: what to use instead?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »