Luis Matias  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:38
Member (2018)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 17, 2018

Dear all,

I saw some posts about this subject on the forum but most of them are very old...
Can you please tell me if today it is common to give discounts for fuzzy matches and what % apply for the different levels of matching: Repeat; 100%; 95-99%; 85-94%; 75-84%; 50-74%; New.

Thank you all,
Mat

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Negotiable: YOUR biz = YOU decide Jul 17, 2018

The rule of thumb:
word_count × usual_rate - related_costs - imposed_"discounts"nice_NET

Usually terms depend on a project or client, yet I reject such pseudo-discount offers, unless it's a little friendly favor (within reasons) or about mutual benefits.

By the way, what is your reason to give "fuzzy discounts"?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mat Jul 17, 2018

Mat02 wrote:
Can you please tell me if today it is common to give discounts for fuzzy matches and what % apply for the different levels of matching:
Repeat;
100%;
95-99%;
85-94%;
75-84%;
50-74%;
New.

Generally, you should only offer discounts for fuzzy matches if the client asks for it or if you are concerned that you are not competitive enough with that particular client. Yes, it is common to give discounts for fuzzy matching. If you work for agencies, odds are the agency will have a pre-determined discount grid anyway, so all you have to do is look at it and accept it (or negotiate it).

Typically, 50-74% matches should be charged at 100%, and many translators feel that 75-84% matches should also be charged at 100% (unless such matches are time-saving in your language combination). You can do 100% matches for free if the client tells you not to check 100% matches; on the other hand, there is no requirement to charge nothing for repetitions (but you can, if the client tells you not to check them).

Ricardo Suin

Luis Matias
Luis Matias  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:38
Member (2018)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fuzzy matches Jul 18, 2018

Thank you both for your inputs.
DZiW, I'm not in favor of "Fuzzi Discounts" but, like in many other situations, the market rules and sometimes you have to play along...

Best Regards,
Luis

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't give discounts for fuzzies Jul 18, 2018

... and I've almost never lost a job because of this. Most customers will quite happily accept it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzy matches

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »