FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
English to Hungarian
+ ...
funky spaces Apr 24, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

BTW Paul, can you ask the developers to fix spaces in the PDF import filter? Studio tries to get word spacing "right" by entering two spaces and specific-width (extra narrow and extra wide) spaces between words. This is the source of 90% of surplus tags in my pdf files, and it should be trivially easy to fix in the import filters. In running text, anything between certain limits should be treated as a normal single space.

1. This doesn't happen with every file does it?
2. Can you give me a sample I can use to repro and we'll put a fix into the works

Indeed, it doesn't happen with every file. As luck would have it, it recently happened with a confidential file, while of course everything went smoothly with a pdf file that's in the public domain...
So I can't share the original PDF, but here's what the end result looks like in Studio:

Sample from Word document:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16377950/spaces.doc

Even if SDL can't fix the converter itself, it should be able to simply convert all specific-width spaces to normal spaces internally in pdf.sdlxliff files and get rid of this mess. I can't imagine any circumstances where 0.15 width spaces would be correctly recognized/useful/necessary so you can nuke them all without collateral damage.
It is possible to fix this by converting all spaces to normal in Word, but it's a pain.

[Edited at 2012-04-24 07:52 GMT]

Secilia Njau
Secilia Njau  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
English to Swahili
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 28, 2012

I would like to thank you all for your time for this forum, I have gain a lot from your discussion.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:) Nov 14, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

You'd be surprised how many translators have told me they only purchased Studio so they could handle pdf files..!

And are they happy with the results...? I'm with Henning on this, a complex PDF is a disaster waiting to happen

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Jesus... Aug 16, 2018

Jesus $(%*#$% Christ, we're in 2018 and they STILL haven't fixed the double-space after PDF conversion problem. This AGAIN confirms my theory that SDL has not really been dealing with any actual bug fixing since… I don't know when.

This is so dismaying seeing software developers just not giving a toss about quality and reliability problems. Happens more and more often these days.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do we translate PDF with SDL Trados 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »