euge bellini  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:40
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 14, 2021

Hi All,

The Find/Replace function is no longer working in Trados 2019, no matter which file I try to open.
This problem is erratic, and has already happened to me in the past ("solved" automatically, also). I followed several threads out there, but I can't find a solution. Of course, it is a very annoying problem working without this feature. I wonder if anyone has found a solution.

Trados 2019 has given me more trouble than any other version thus far. Is anyone e
... See more
Hi All,

The Find/Replace function is no longer working in Trados 2019, no matter which file I try to open.
This problem is erratic, and has already happened to me in the past ("solved" automatically, also). I followed several threads out there, but I can't find a solution. Of course, it is a very annoying problem working without this feature. I wonder if anyone has found a solution.

Trados 2019 has given me more trouble than any other version thus far. Is anyone experiencing the same?

Thanks in advance,
Collapse

Ulrich Schramm

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:40
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Just in case Jan 14, 2021

There is an easy mistake to make with Find/Replace which is to enter a word in the source language when the target language is selected, or vice versa, (Select Source/Target, just above "Find options" in the Find and Replace window).

If you do that then obviously it will not find anything and you get the "no matches returned" message.

I still do this sometimes so just thought I would mention it!

Christine Andersen

euge bellini
Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is not the issue. The option is greyed-out. Jan 14, 2021

Thanks for your reply!
Unfortunately, that is not the issue. I have the option greyed-out, even though I can see two icons in the task bar. The find/replace window is there but not working. If I use the shortcuts, nothing happens.
And the option in the ribbon looks like the screenshot.

Thanks anyway,

Anna Hjalmarsson

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Be more specific Jan 14, 2021

euge bellini wrote:
The Find/Replace function is no longer working in Trados 2019

This is not a very useful description of the problem.
Can you describe what does, or doesn't happen?

Dan

euge bellini
Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is just not working Jan 14, 2021

Hi Dan,

As I mentioned, if I hit Ctrl+F, I can see another window appear in the task bar that doesn't open. If I try to use the function directly from the ribbon, it is greyed-out. It is there, but not enabled.
Thanks,

Anna Hjalmarsson

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:40
English to Russian
Try Win+Arrow Jan 14, 2021

euge bellini wrote:
As I mentioned, if I hit Ctrl+F, I can see another window appear in the task bar that doesn't open. If I try to use the function directly from the ribbon, it is greyed-out. It is there, but not enabled.

Your F&R window seems to go off the screen. Try select it from your task bar and then press the Windows button + left or right arrow.
*Also, the Find&Replace button may turn inactive when you put cursor to the source segment. Try to click on the target and see if the Find&Replace button turns active.
However, these two events have nothing to do with each other. You can't see the window because it moved off the edge of your screen, while the button is greyed out because there is no active target segment selected.

[Edited at 2021-01-14 16:55 GMT]

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Off screen Jan 14, 2021

euge bellini wrote:
As I mentioned, if I hit Ctrl+F, I can see another window appear in the task bar that doesn't open.

I agree with Stepan. The find and replace window may somehow have been placed off-screen.

Dan

euge bellini
Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
already tried that Jan 14, 2021

Hi,

I already tried your suggestion. It is the functionality that is not working. The window is not misplaced, as I can see it if I hover, but it doesn't work.
I have seen this issue in several threads, but with no solution.

Thanks all,

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:40
English to Russian
Last resort Jan 14, 2021

Ok, then try to repair your Studio.
And/or post your issue on the SDL Community site: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio

Elena Feriani

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
off the screen Jan 15, 2021

I think the way to solve this is

1. Hover over the icon on the taskbar so you see the preview of the find and replace window
2. Right click on the preview window and select move
3. Press one of the arrow keys
4. Move your mouse

You should now see the find and replace window.

Andrea Ábelová
Marc Vansteenberge
Anna Hjalmarsson
Christina Heger Wolff

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:40
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Restart Trados Jan 15, 2021

Hi Euge,
I sometimes have the same issue. I haven't found a reason/cause for this yet, but until now restarting Trados solves the problem. But it's quite annoying.

Does restarting Trados solve the problem for you too?

Renée

euge bellini
Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restarting does not work Jan 15, 2021

Hi Renée,

When this has happened in the past, it was solved restarting but not now.
And this is not an "off the screen" issue, already tried that.

Thanks all,

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Can you close it? Jan 15, 2021

You say you can see the window if you hover. I assume that means that if you hover you can see a thumbnail of the find and replace window next to the thumbnail of the main Studio window floating above the taskbar. If that is the case, when you mouse over the thumbnail of the F&R window, can you not click on the close button in the thumbnail of the F&R window? You could try closing and reopening and see if that helps.

snap09374

(Interestingly, when I dragged the F&R window to the bottom of the screen, it got stuck behind the taskbar, and although I could still see it when hovering, and see the top edge of its title bar, I couldn't drag it or move it. In the end I had to temporarily move the taskbar to the right of the screen, drag the F&R window up into the middle of the screen, then return the taskbar to its original position.)

euge bellini
Uruguay
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestion but not working Jan 15, 2021

Thanks, Dan. I tried to do that but it did't help. When I reopen, the same thing happens.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
This is like talking to my mum on the phone Jan 15, 2021

Me: I heard you had a problem with your PC mum.
Mother: Yes, it's not working.
Me: OK, in what way isn't it working?
Mother: Oh, it just doesn't work.
Me: (patiently) It's switched on, right?
Mother: Don't be silly, of course it's switched on. I mean that when I try to use Firefox nothing happens.
Me: Ah, well, if you'd have said that. So you start Firefox -
Mother: But I can't use Firefox, that's what I'm telling you.
Me: (lengthy pause while I c
... See more
Me: I heard you had a problem with your PC mum.
Mother: Yes, it's not working.
Me: OK, in what way isn't it working?
Mother: Oh, it just doesn't work.
Me: (patiently) It's switched on, right?
Mother: Don't be silly, of course it's switched on. I mean that when I try to use Firefox nothing happens.
Me: Ah, well, if you'd have said that. So you start Firefox -
Mother: But I can't use Firefox, that's what I'm telling you.
Me: (lengthy pause while I consider which question is going to cause me least short-term pain) Why is that?
Mother: I don't know - that's why I'm asking you.
Me: (feeling headache coming on) When you double-click on the icon on the desktop, what happens?
Mother: Tried that. Nothing works.
Me: Which PART of it doesn't work?! Please be specific! Is the icon even there?
Mother: I'm not sure. What bit is the desktop again?

...and so on.

Euge, my mum is nearly 80, so she has an excuse for not being that hot when it comes to technical issue, but I'm guessing you're a lot younger and you're an engineer. Surely you can come up with responses that are not as vague, and frankly unhelpful, as those that you have contributed so far? You're clearly well-educated and intelligent, so I can't believe that this is typical of your usual approach to problem-solving.

euge bellini wrote:
I tried to do that but it did't help. When I reopen, the same thing happens.

What does "didn't help" mean? Did you see a close button? If so, were you able to click on it? If so, were you able to close it? Likewise you say this isn't an off-screen issue, but you haven't reported what happened when you tried the steps that others have suggested previously, you just say "doesn't work".

I get involved in a thread when I think that solving it will be useful, at some point in the future, for other members suffering from the same problem (Renée has already encountered it, so you're not alone). I don't think we're going to resolve this because, despite several people here are trying to help you, trying to get useful information out of you is like pulling teeth.

I'm bailing. Good luck.

Dan
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Francesca Buongiorno

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find/Replace problem again in Trados 2019

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »