Subtitling software for Mac
Thread poster: Bernadette Vincent-De heyder
Bernadette Vincent-De heyder
Cambodia
Local time: 00:13
English to French
Jan 12, 2015

What are the best subtitling software for Mac?

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:13
Member (2013)
English to Russian
It depends on many things Jan 12, 2015

bernade wrote:

What are the best subtitling software for Mac?

Dear bernade,

There is no such thing as "the subtitling best software for X". All the programs have their pros and cons, and which one suits you best depends on your budget and your specific professional needs. Please outline the two, so that I can proceed giving you advice on which tool to pick.

[Edited at 2015-01-12 15:40 GMT]

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
free software Jan 12, 2015

Hi Max,

I'm a translator but wanted to learn more about subtitling and I'm just starting an online course with a university in the UK which uses Subtitle Workshop. But I work with a Mac, so I'm trying to find, if possible, a free software for the time being. What do you think of Aegisub?

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
I see Jan 12, 2015

bernade wrote:

Hi Max,

I'm a translator but wanted to learn more about subtitling and I'm just starting an online course with a university in the UK which uses Subtitle Workshop. But I work with a Mac, so I'm trying to find, if possible, a free software for the time being. What do you think of Aegisub?

I'll be brutally honest here: Subtitle Workshop doesn't cut it for professional subtitling — for many reasons, but mainly because it lacks shot change detection, which makes creating accurate, standards-compliant timecodes simply impossible.

Aegisub is a superb tool that I used for subtitling for 4 years. Bear in mind, however, that it was created specifically for anime fansubbing — and it excels in that domain, but when it comes to other kinds of subtitling, it does not provide sufficient functionality (for instance, it has no checks save for reading speed and line length).

For the time being, you should use Aegisub; it is definitely one of the best (if not the best) free subtitling tools compatible with Mac. It is very different from SW in how it works, however, so you will have to adapt.

Luigi Borriello
Luigi Borriello  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:13
English to Italian
+ ...
Try Jubler Jan 13, 2015

I have used Jubler to write my BA thesis. It worked well!

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marc Jan 13, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

I'll be brutally honest here: Subtitle Workshop doesn't cut it for professional subtitling — for many reasons, but mainly because it lacks shot change detection, which makes creating accurate, standards-compliant timecodes simply impossible.

Aegisub is a superb tool that I used for subtitling for 4 years. Bear in mind, however, that it was created specifically for anime fansubbing — and it excels in that domain, but when it comes to other kinds of subtitling, it does not provide sufficient functionality (for instance, it has no checks save for reading speed and line length).

For the time being, you should use Aegisub; it is definitely one of the best (if not the best) free subtitling tools compatible with Mac. It is very different from SW in how it works, however, so you will have to adapt.

Thanks for the advice. I'm having troubles downloading the software, I left a message on Aegisub forum but no solutions yet...

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Luigi Jan 13, 2015

Luigi Borriello wrote:

I have used Jubler to write my BA thesis. It worked well!

Appreciate the tip

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Alternative Jan 13, 2015

bernade wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm having troubles downloading the software, I left a message on Aegisub forum but no solutions yet...

You can go to the Downloads section, scroll down to the OS X category and try and download any of the previous versions. http://www.aegisub.org/downloads/

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Jan 13, 2015

I tried again just now, and it finally worked.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Well done Jan 13, 2015

bernade wrote:

I tried again just now, and it finally worked.

Now please consult to the following manual for an easier learning curve: http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Main_Page

Feel free to ask me anything about working in Aegisub. I'll be glad to help.

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
so kind Jan 14, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

Now please consult to the following manual for an easier learning curve: http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Main_Page

Feel free to ask me anything about working in Aegisub. I'll be glad to help.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate and will most certainly ask for help at some point!

B.

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Converting .ass to .srt Feb 3, 2015

Hi Max,

I've been trying to find out how to convert .ass files to .srt files, but to no avail… Can you help?

Thank you

Bernie

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Oh, it is easy Feb 3, 2015

bernade wrote:

Hi Max,

I've been trying to find out how to convert .ass files to .srt files, but to no avail… Can you help?

Thank you

Bernie

Hi Bernade,

In Aegisub, go to File → Export Subtitles → Select the text encoding → Click "Export..." → Select the *.srt format → browse to the destination folder → Click "Save".

Note, however, that Aegisub does not save formatting (font color/I/B/U).

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
yeh! Feb 3, 2015

Thank you:-)

Cambodia
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
importing a txt file Feb 3, 2015

I saw that you could import a txt file with the subtitles to save time. So I'm trying to. Each actor's name if followed by a : There are only 2 actors, but somehow, the text is not cut between each actor, only between the same actor… Don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks again

Hi Bernade,

In Aegisub, go to File → Export Subtitles → Select the text encoding → Click "Export..." → Select the *.srt format → browse to the destination folder →
... See more
I saw that you could import a txt file with the subtitles to save time. So I'm trying to. Each actor's name if followed by a : There are only 2 actors, but somehow, the text is not cut between each actor, only between the same actor… Don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks again

Hi Bernade,

In Aegisub, go to File → Export Subtitles → Select the text encoding → Click "Export..." → Select the *.srt format → browse to the destination folder → Click "Save".

Note, however, that Aegisub does not save formatting (font color/I/B/U). [/quote]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling software for Mac

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »