Subtitles & Translation: Narrator AND simultaneously displayed (different) written text?
Thread poster: Barnaby Mulcahy
Barnaby Mulcahy
Barnaby Mulcahy  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:46
Member (2023)
English to German
Jun 28, 2017

Dear Transcriptors,

I have a video file I am to do the (translated) subtitles for. The problem is that in the oriignal video file permanently incoming SMS are shown in language xx while after a short while the narrator talks in language xx OVER the displayed short messages. For people who understand the language xx it is no problem to read the messages and listen to the narrator as well, maybe with moving the attention slightly away from reading the SMS to listening to the narrator
... See more
Dear Transcriptors,

I have a video file I am to do the (translated) subtitles for. The problem is that in the oriignal video file permanently incoming SMS are shown in language xx while after a short while the narrator talks in language xx OVER the displayed short messages. For people who understand the language xx it is no problem to read the messages and listen to the narrator as well, maybe with moving the attention slightly away from reading the SMS to listening to the narrator (that was what I did at least).

So far so good. But how on earth should that be displayed in translated subtitles? Either transcripting ALL - sms & narrator (can´t be the right way, too much info) OR subtitling the narrator only but in this case: What about the info´s in the displayed SMS? Or any other way how to handle this situation?

Thanks for your input!

Kind regards,
W
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Different colors Jun 28, 2017

I know that the subtitles on the Spanish TV are shown in different colors, one for each speaker. Perhaps you can pick up this idea.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:46
Member (2016)
English to German
Forced narratives Jun 28, 2017

Under item 9 on the following page you find information how Netflix handles this:
https://backlothelp.netflix.com/hc/en-us/articles/217351587-German-Timed-Text-Style-Guide

In order to maintain a feasible reading speed, you will likely have to decide what is important and what is not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitles & Translation: Narrator AND simultaneously displayed (different) written text?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »