How much did you spend on 'Skills Development and Knowledge' as defined in the PD catalogue?
Thread poster: Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:28
Chinese
Apr 3, 2018

I'm just starting on my first 3-year PD development journey. In the first category of PD catalogue “Skills Development and Knowledge”, you have to 'attend a formal training session, workshop or seminar' if you want to earn the required 30 points. I'm not sure what kinds of such sessions/workshops are available out there and how much I would need to budget for earning this 30 points? Anybody has any idea?

I just saw a 4-day training session in China which costs about A$745.00 and
... See more
I'm just starting on my first 3-year PD development journey. In the first category of PD catalogue “Skills Development and Knowledge”, you have to 'attend a formal training session, workshop or seminar' if you want to earn the required 30 points. I'm not sure what kinds of such sessions/workshops are available out there and how much I would need to budget for earning this 30 points? Anybody has any idea?

I just saw a 4-day training session in China which costs about A$745.00 and wonder if I should take part in the training, not that I expect it will be of any help to me, but it will kill two birds with one stone: I will be earning 40 points under category 1 and another 20 points under category 3 for "spending 4 weeks or more in a LOTE country"( I plan to spend 4 weeks + 1 day).

[Edited at 2018-04-03 05:38 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Looking forward to hearing about this Apr 3, 2018

I'm just at the beginning of this process and would love to hear the experiences of others during their PD.

All I've done so far is to click join on the AUSIT events that are emailed to me.

Maddison Norris
Maddison Norris  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:58
Chinese to English
Anyone else? Oct 11, 2018

I'd also love to hear other people's input on this topic.
My credentials expire in May 2019 and I didn't even realise I needed to do all this PD stuff.
I don't translate full time so some of the requirements are going to be really hard for me to meet.
I also feel like the last time I looked at joining AUSIT I wasn't eligible!
I've actually always found NAATI to be rather responsive to my enquiries so I'm sure they'll help me, but just wondering what everyone else has been
... See more
I'd also love to hear other people's input on this topic.
My credentials expire in May 2019 and I didn't even realise I needed to do all this PD stuff.
I don't translate full time so some of the requirements are going to be really hard for me to meet.
I also feel like the last time I looked at joining AUSIT I wasn't eligible!
I've actually always found NAATI to be rather responsive to my enquiries so I'm sure they'll help me, but just wondering what everyone else has been doing for PD.
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
P(ay)D(ollar) Oct 11, 2018

You essentially pay for PD and receive points. AUSIT website has a list of webinars which you can purchase and there you have your PD points.

I am averaging $7 per point at the moment.

Having said that, the last PD webinar on ethics by Uldis Ozolins is somewhat useful to me.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

AUSIT Membership Oct 11, 2018

I'm really getting value out of the AUSIT membership. 1/2 price for all PD events!

I've not even been a member for a year and have over the required number of points (only need some more in 'maintenance of language' category, which I'll get with a 6-week trip to source language country).

My points are as follows:

Minimum 8 points from ETHICS. Current Points: 20
Minimum 26 points from CATEGORY 1: SKILLS DEVELOPMENT AND KNOWLEDGE. Current Points: 70... See more
I'm really getting value out of the AUSIT membership. 1/2 price for all PD events!

I've not even been a member for a year and have over the required number of points (only need some more in 'maintenance of language' category, which I'll get with a 6-week trip to source language country).

My points are as follows:

Minimum 8 points from ETHICS. Current Points: 20
Minimum 26 points from CATEGORY 1: SKILLS DEVELOPMENT AND KNOWLEDGE. Current Points: 70
Minimum 26 points from CATEGORY 2: INDUSTRY ENGAGEMENT. Current Points: 50
Minimum 26 points from CATEGORY 3: MAINTENANCE OF LANGUAGE. Current Points: 0
Minimum 105 points in total. Current Points 120

Our QLD Branch actually held the most PD activities out of all branches over the last year, so Brisbane is a great place to be!

Each activity cost $35 and most awarded 20 points.

Join AUSIT as a member!
Collapse

Natasha Ziada (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much did you spend on 'Skills Development and Knowledge' as defined in the PD catalogue?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »