Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:25
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2010

Hello colleagues,
sorry if I'm writing in English, but I don't have the Arab keyboard on this laptop. Well, I am writing to ask whether anyone of you knows website with Gulf Arabic terminology and sentences. I am going (in cha Allah) to the Emirates next week. I already had a knowledge of Gulf Arabic, but last time I read a book it was years ago.
Thank you very much in advance!
Feel free to answer in Arabic.
Vincenzo

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 06:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
Gulf Arabic (Emirates local dialect) - details, please Dec 22, 2010

Greetings.... ahalan wa sahalan...

I refer to your query in < proz.com > about refreshing your ability in "Gulf Arabic" [the dialect of GA common in UAE is considered by some dialectologists as "Lower Gulf Arabic", versus the other variant of GA prevalent in the "upper Gulf" area around Bahrain, Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and southern Iraq].

Best I have seen and know, all websites originating in or about the UAE use MSA in their texts; no colloquials, sin
... See more
Greetings.... ahalan wa sahalan...

I refer to your query in < proz.com > about refreshing your ability in "Gulf Arabic" [the dialect of GA common in UAE is considered by some dialectologists as "Lower Gulf Arabic", versus the other variant of GA prevalent in the "upper Gulf" area around Bahrain, Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and southern Iraq].

Best I have seen and know, all websites originating in or about the UAE use MSA in their texts; no colloquials, since those normally are not and cannot be clearly rendered in Arabic script.

Depending on the purpose of your visit to UAE and the type of interactions you will have with Emiratis, you may be better prepared by polishing up your Arabic skills, and building a task-related vocabulary, in "fuSHa" - aka Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) -- rather than dwell on Emirati colloquialisms.

The UAE can be an enjoyable place to live and work. Living is very expensive in the main coastal cities, but a different story in the interior city of al-Ain, Abu Dhabi (where I was for several most-enjoyable months on a training program).

FWIW, an interesting phenomenon in UAE [and other Arabian GCC states] is the emergence of [in the English] "Arabish" or [in the Arabic] "Arabizii," a real hybrid language which younger Emiratis often use, including for texting in emails and hand-held devices. Also, English is effectively the parallel working language in UAE, with Russian close behind in business and tourism circles.

What book do you now have on self-study of Gulf Arabic? Several fairly-useful materials are around.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic Trainer,
Dialectologist and Leixcologist
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2010-12-22 00:10 GMT]
Collapse

Mahmoud Helmi
Mahmoud Helmi  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 16:25
English to Arabic
Some useful links (with downloadable courses) on Gulf Arabic Dec 22, 2010

Hi Vincenzo,

Try to check the following links (the first of which has a downloadable audio course on Gulf Arabic, and you can also browse the other related links at the bottom of the sam
... See more
Hi Vincenzo,

Try to check the following links (the first of which has a downloadable audio course on Gulf Arabic, and you can also browse the other related links at the bottom of the same page):

http://www.al3arabiya.info/2010/04/colloquial-arabic-of-gulf-and-saudi.html
http://www.gulfarabic.com/
http://www.arabicdialects.com/gulf_arabic.html
http://arab-training.com/vb/t25505.html (Teach Yourself Gulf Arabic Complete Course)
http://www.neelwafurat.com/itempage.aspx?id=lbb110067-70224&search=books
(A Glossary of Gulf Arabic)

I got these links by googling for "learn Gulf Arabic" and "learn Emirati Arabic" . Try to do the same - but don't forget the quotation marks - to find more links and websites.

Regards,
Collapse

Vincenzo Di Maso
Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Dec 22, 2010

Thank you all for now! I appreciate your help very much. Unfortunately I am not able to write a better reply today, because I'm going to travel. I'll answer you as soon as possible.
Thanks again.
Vincenzo

Chakir Mahjo (X)
Chakir Mahjo (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hi Vincenzo, Dec 22, 2010

Arabs are very generous people but Google is a little bit more. Just type the word "Arabic" and you will get everything you want. There is no need to dig in looking to learn colloquial dialect, speak Standard Arabic (Al Fasha). It is more important and very well understood. I hope good luck

Kind Regards

[Edited at 2010-12-22 10:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-22 10:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gulf Arabic resources

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »