Message in a bottle
Thread poster: Steve Booth
Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 21, 2011

A friend of a friend found a bottle on a beach when he opened it all it contained was a piece of paper with some Arabic writing on. I have been given a copy as they were interested in what it said.

Translating the text wasn't difficult it was

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
قل هو الله احد
الله الصمد
لم يلد ولم يولد
ولم يكن له كفوا احد

this was repeated three times and
... See more
A friend of a friend found a bottle on a beach when he opened it all it contained was a piece of paper with some Arabic writing on. I have been given a copy as they were interested in what it said.

Translating the text wasn't difficult it was

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
قل هو الله احد
الله الصمد
لم يلد ولم يولد
ولم يكن له كفوا احد

this was repeated three times and I have identified as Sura 112 of the Holy Qur'an

this was then followed by the following

الله اكبر سبحانك اللهم وتبارك اسمك وتعالى جدك ولا إلا غيرك

this time it was repeated 5 times which again was fairly straightforward to identify as the opening Du'a and translate

I then wondered whether there was any significance in the choice of Sura and whether the fact they were repeated 3 and 5 times meant anything.

Was this just a random selection to write on a piece of paper and put into a bottle thrown into the sea or is there some other significance to it.

Steve
Collapse

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:29
English to Arabic
Explanation Nov 21, 2011

Well, I am not sure but as for Al-Ikhlas Sura (112), you know that in a Hadeeth, the prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said that this Sura equals one third of the Quran, so, logically, three times reading it should equals reading the whole Quran. See here:

http://www.islamqa.com/ar/ref/10022

As for the Istiftah Doa'a, it should be said once every prayer, and we have 5 prayers, so that'
... See more
Well, I am not sure but as for Al-Ikhlas Sura (112), you know that in a Hadeeth, the prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said that this Sura equals one third of the Quran, so, logically, three times reading it should equals reading the whole Quran. See here:

http://www.islamqa.com/ar/ref/10022

As for the Istiftah Doa'a, it should be said once every prayer, and we have 5 prayers, so that's why it is repeated in the message 5 times.

This is only my opinion, I might be wrong.
Collapse

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 21, 2011

I like the explanation makes sense

does throwing it in the sea have any significance?

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 06:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
AFASK, it is an individual action Nov 23, 2011

Steve Booth wrote:

I like the explanation makes sense

does throwing it in the sea have any significance?

AFASK, it is an individual action and there is nothing in Islam that urges Muslims to do so. Maybe who did that thought that he may be rewarded in the hereafter for such action (just guessing).

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Message in a bottle

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »