Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:20
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 1, 2006

I am wondering if anybody had used the software and would be willing to share experiences. I feel that paying 500 US$ without the privilege of trying out a demo version is a bit unfair.

Any views?

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 11:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Any more information about it? Apr 1, 2006

Hi Sam,

Actually, I never heared about it!
Is there any website providing information about the same?

Thank you!

Waleed

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 10:20
English to Arabic
+ ...
Never heard about Apr 2, 2006

I'm interested too to know about such product that has so few results when searching for it!

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:20
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vary little IS being said about it Apr 2, 2006

All I know is that it is produced by a French-based company Cimos. You can read their marketing spiel here http://www.cimos.com/index.asp?src=fiche#1

But since I can't find a single person who actually used it, I am not willing to spend THIS much money only to find out that it works like, say, Systran.

I used Systran (the online version) yesterday to see how well it
... See more
All I know is that it is produced by a French-based company Cimos. You can read their marketing spiel here http://www.cimos.com/index.asp?src=fiche#1

But since I can't find a single person who actually used it, I am not willing to spend THIS much money only to find out that it works like, say, Systran.

I used Systran (the online version) yesterday to see how well it would translate an Arabic sentence into English, and it was hilarious. The original Arabic was from a Family Law tract stating the conditions for impotence in the male. The translation came out as "The availability of sexual backside of the obstinate male." Obviously, whoever did Systran forgot to teach it the difference between عجز and عجز.

الأسم العربي للبرنامج هو "الناقل العربي" والخوف كل الخوف أن ينكل باللغة بدلا من أن ينقلها إلى الإنجليزية:-)

The few forums that talk about Al-Nakel mention the exorbitant price and the difficulty of finding agents in the Middle East. Apparently there is one in Kuwait, somwhere around Ibn Khaldoun Street.

Here is a quote from تقنيات اللغة العربية، إلى أين؟ (http://www.moudir.com/vb/showthread.php?t=413)

"تهتم شركة سيموس بتقديم خدمات الترجمة والتعريب للشركات، وقادها هذا إلى تطوير برنامج للترجمة يدعى الناقل العربي، الذي يترجم من العربية إلى الإنجليزية والعكس، ومن الفرنسية إلى العربية والعكس. لا يطمح هذا البرنامج أن يكون بديلاً عن المترجم البشري، بل يستهدف إلى مساعدة المترجمين المحترفين، وزيادة إنتاجيتهم، بتوفيره ترجمة أولية في مجال اختصاص معين، ومستعيناً بقاموس ملائم، وقاعدة بيانات للنصوص المترجمة مسبقاً أو ما يسمى ذاكرة الترجمة. تمثل الجملة الوحدة الأساسية في عملية الترجمة التي ينفذها الناقل العربي، حيث يبدأ بالتحليل الصرفي للكلمات، ثم التحليل النحوي، مستعيناً بقاعدة بيانات معرفية لقواعد النحو، وتتم عملية الترجمة بالتحليل الدلالي ثم توليد النص الإنجليزي أو الفرنسي. وهو يستعين بعدد من القواميس والمعاجم العامة والمتخصصة في مجال معين."

But it still doesn't tell me how GOOD it actually is. I own Al-Mutarjim Al-Arabi, (English to Arabic only) and throwing any text in there produces around 66% accuracy in terminology, very poor grammar and even poorer sentence structure. It cost me 60 US$ three years ago. So the comparison is a bit worrysome, right?

Cheers!
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
German to English
+ ...
Not CAT Apr 2, 2006

This appears to be MT, not CAT. MT can be useful under certain circumstances, but most translators don't consider it worthwhile for day-to-day work. Systran is one of the best MT systems around and I doubt you'll find anything significantly better.

Marc

Samir Sami
Samir Sami
Qatar
Local time: 10:20
Arabic to English
+ ...
I am currently in Kuwait and the good news is Apr 2, 2006

Ibn Khaldoon street is right nearby (if you mean in Hawally!). You may let me know about their agent right here, and I will do my best to know more about the program.

As for pricing, I won't pay that sum for a program with no chance to try.

This is usually the case with programs dealing with the Arabic (Adobe ME, Sakhr products, and ArabicXT).

Regards,
Sam

Radi1968
Radi1968
Local time: 11:20
English to Arabic
An-Nakel Tool Dec 14, 2006

I would like to know if there is any news about this Tool,
appreciate any comments in this regard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Al-Nakel CAT for Arabic/English

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »