Does your translation price include the CAT glossary?
Thread poster: PatriziaM.
PatriziaM.
PatriziaM.  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:36
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2003

If an agency/customer wants you to deliver the glossary you created, do you charge extra for it? If so, how much?
Even if I don't deliver the glossary, the agency/customer has a database as well, because I have to work with specific CAT software and I have to deliver the files in the corresponding CAT format. Therefore, it seems to me that the glossary - the agency/customer wants it in CAT format - would be an extra service, indeed the agency/customer could create itself the glossary using
... See more
If an agency/customer wants you to deliver the glossary you created, do you charge extra for it? If so, how much?
Even if I don't deliver the glossary, the agency/customer has a database as well, because I have to work with specific CAT software and I have to deliver the files in the corresponding CAT format. Therefore, it seems to me that the glossary - the agency/customer wants it in CAT format - would be an extra service, indeed the agency/customer could create itself the glossary using the files delivered by me.
What do you think about it?
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
English to French
Separate issues Sep 27, 2003

PatriziaM. wrote:

Even if I don't deliver the glossary, the agency/customer has a database as well, because I have to work with specific CAT software and I have to deliver the files in the corresponding CAT format. Therefore, it seems to me that the glossary - the agency/customer wants it in CAT format - would be an extra service, indeed the agency/customer could create itself the glossary using the files delivered by me.
What do you think about it?

If by "glossary" you mean the TM created by the CAT, the agency has the right to ask for it.

On the other end, creating a glossary (Lists of terms or expression, with possibly a definition) is NOT part of the translation process. If an agency desire to compile such a glossary, she has to pay for it (extra job for you) *unless* you agreed to deliver such a glossary.

Bottom line is that creating a TM is part of the translation process when working with a CAT, but not the creation of a glossary. Creating a glossary requires some extra work, and that should be paid. Of course, it depends what we are talking about. I wouldn't bother charging for 10 some words but, for a extensive terminology work with some kind of volume, charge.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:36
German to English
+ ...
Strictly speaking, yes it is an extra service Sep 27, 2003

but it is also a matter of give and take. A couple of the agencies I work for supply the corresponding glossaries as a matter of course. My software (Transit) automatically updates my entries while the file is being converted for its return journey. But I can switch this feature off if I wish. My main agency does not supply any glossaries, but they insert all terms found in their database - and this can be very annoying as it means all the original terms have to be deleted. All in all, the gloss... See more
but it is also a matter of give and take. A couple of the agencies I work for supply the corresponding glossaries as a matter of course. My software (Transit) automatically updates my entries while the file is being converted for its return journey. But I can switch this feature off if I wish. My main agency does not supply any glossaries, but they insert all terms found in their database - and this can be very annoying as it means all the original terms have to be deleted. All in all, the glossary terms are very useful, although I do check terms that I haven't entered into the glossary myself.

So, if this is your first job for the agency I would go along with it and see what happens next time. Cooperative freelancers are more likely to get more jobs. However, if you feel that you are being put upon after several translations I'd review the situation.

Good luck!
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:36
Spanish
+ ...
How to charge Sep 29, 2003

If by "glossary" you mean the TM created by the CAT, the agency has the right to ask for it.

I don't usually work for agencies but I've always thought that the agency should pay you extra for the TM.

I mean, if I send the documents to my clients already cleaned up. Shouldn't I be charging more to send also my TM to the agency?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does your translation price include the CAT glossary?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »