Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:52
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 24, 2003

Hi all.
I'd like your opinion on this situation.
I 've sent my CV to an agency. Some time after they sent me a form to fill, which I did, and asked me to do a translation test telling me that I could send it at my convenience. I did the test and send it to them about a month after because I had been rather busy. After that, nothing.
A week after my test, I wrote them an e-mail asking them whether they had received my e-mail. Again nothing.
Is this normal? When you do a
... See more
Hi all.
I 've sent my CV to an agency. Some time after they sent me a form to fill, which I did, and asked me to do a translation test telling me that I could send it at my convenience. I did the test and send it to them about a month after because I had been rather busy. After that, nothing.
A week after my test, I wrote them an e-mail asking them whether they had received my e-mail. Again nothing.
Is this normal? When you do a test, are you receiving a response and when?
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Dimitra
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
German to English
+ ...
Normal for some, not for others Oct 24, 2003

Dimitra Karamperi wrote:

Hi all.
Is this normal? When you do a test, are you receiving a response and when?
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Dimitra

This has happened to me, too. I am not very interested in working for people who are that disorganized/rude! I think it shows how their operation works, and at least you found out early on. I am willing to do tests for companies that meet certain criteria (check their Web site to see if you would be a fit with them/they with you). But then again, these also end up being professional companies that respond promptly once they have asked someone for a test!

[Edited at 2003-10-26 12:00]

GAK (X)
GAK (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
English to German
+ ...
Happened to me quite a few times Oct 24, 2003

Dear Dimitra,

This happened to me quite a few times. Once the agency even asked me after several days when I am going to return their test (what I found a bit strange). I told them that I am busy at the moment and that they'll have to wait. Well, I returned the test a few days later and heard nothing from them since then. I gave up sending them e-mails and ask about the result. If they want to work with me they will contact me anyway and if not, well .... bad luck.

But
... See more
Dear Dimitra,

This happened to me quite a few times. Once the agency even asked me after several days when I am going to return their test (what I found a bit strange). I told them that I am busy at the moment and that they'll have to wait. Well, I returned the test a few days later and heard nothing from them since then. I gave up sending them e-mails and ask about the result. If they want to work with me they will contact me anyway and if not, well .... bad luck.

But I also know some agencies that inform their potential translators about the results, what should be the rule, because you are investing time and don't do it for fun (even translating is fun for you!).

If you like send them an e-mail and ask them to inform you about the result. But don't worry about it too much.

Good luck!
Anett Kiefer
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It happened to me with a non-profit translation Oct 24, 2003

It was an offer posted here. Non profit, not paid. Little stories, to several languages.

I told them that depending on the subject I would accept or not. They sent to me a little story about a miracle (religious), and told me that if I wished, I could translate it into French and Spanish.

Well, I'm not fancy of religious tales, but it was very short, so I translated them and sent them next day.

They didn't even say thanks... See more
It was an offer posted here. Non profit, not paid. Little stories, to several languages.

I told them that depending on the subject I would accept or not. They sent to me a little story about a miracle (religious), and told me that if I wished, I could translate it into French and Spanish.

Well, I'm not fancy of religious tales, but it was very short, so I translated them and sent them next day.

They didn't even say thanks
Collapse

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 02:52
English to Urdu
+ ...
same here Oct 24, 2003

This has happened to me a few times, only a few companies have actually responded to the sample test. One company sent me the test before the project, I passed it and then they sent me a big project related to the test. But other wise, most of the companies seem to forget about it.

and I can relate to the non profit story. I did a free job for 2 companies that posted on ProZ, I never got any thanx from them either, lol.

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Same here Oct 26, 2003

Yes, similar thing happened to me and with a supposedly quite reputable (!) agency; the translation test was over 700 words, they set me a deadline when it had to be sent back (2 weeks), but I didn't hear from them for several weeks after submitting the test, and only after sending them an e-mail asking about it did they give me their feedback...
Not very professional if you ask me, and I definitely wouldn't want to work with an agency like that!

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Have a closer look at the non-profit organization Oct 26, 2003

If you look carefully at a typical non-profit organization, more often than not the organizers will be paid handsomely either in terms of salaries or perks. In one such organization in India, the president was always going on foreign tours to beg for funds. Quite a racket. These are non profit only for suckers willing to do free work for them. I have got a very apt response for such organizations. I am not a non-profit organization but a very much profit-seeking one.
Regards,
N.Ragha
... See more
If you look carefully at a typical non-profit organization, more often than not the organizers will be paid handsomely either in terms of salaries or perks. In one such organization in India, the president was always going on foreign tours to beg for funds. Quite a racket. These are non profit only for suckers willing to do free work for them. I have got a very apt response for such organizations. I am not a non-profit organization but a very much profit-seeking one.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2003-10-27 01:30]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:52
English to German
+ ...
Taking a much closer look already Oct 26, 2003

Hi Narasimhan,
On numerous occasions in the past, moderators had doubts about job postings labelled "non-profit".

That's why the Job Posting FAQ now contain clear requirements and definitions:

What does it mean for a job to be funded by a non-profit group?

A non-profit group is an organization which exists for educational or charitable reasons, and from which its shareholders or trustees do not benefit financially. Some translators are willing to reduce their rates when working for a non-profit group they deem worthwhile. Jobs posted on behalf of non-profit organizations should include the name of the group, and a publicly visible link to a website with further information about the organization. Jobs marked as non-profit that do not meet these requirements will be removed by moderators or site staff.

Best regards, Ralf

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:52
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Oct 30, 2003

Thank you all for your input!
Dimitra

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 17:52
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Good ! Thanks, Ralf Nov 4, 2003

and all moderators at Proz for constantly trying to improve this service.
I just renewed my Platinum membership for another year. Keep up the good work !
Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation test - answer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »