Conference interpreting training
Thread poster: Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
Local time: 11:01
English to French
Oct 30, 2003

Hi all, has anyone done the Masters in Conference interpreting at the University of Westminster? I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

I'm wondering whether it would make sense for me to go in that direction. I love interpreting, I'm not bad at it and it pays well. However, is it worth taking a whole year out to do the course? Hmmm... I'd love to hear from people who have done the MA. Being a Libra, I'm awful at making decisions and only do so after careful weighing all my options!... See more
Hi all, has anyone done the Masters in Conference interpreting at the University of Westminster? I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

I'm wondering whether it would make sense for me to go in that direction. I love interpreting, I'm not bad at it and it pays well. However, is it worth taking a whole year out to do the course? Hmmm... I'd love to hear from people who have done the MA. Being a Libra, I'm awful at making decisions and only do so after careful weighing all my options!

Thanks

Céline
Collapse

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
Local time: 12:01
French to English
+ ...
No direct knowledge but.. Oct 30, 2003

I have en ex-colleague who has just completed the course and is now on a 6-month placement at the EC with the hope of a permanent job at the end...
Can't be bad. Clearly it opens this sort of (tax-free) door!

Edith Kelly
Edith Kelly  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 12:01
German to English
+ ...
I've done it! Oct 30, 2003

I've done it, many moons ago. It used to be the PCL, the Polytechnic of Central London. It was hard, hard, hard, but well worth it, and if you are good you get the a (like your friend) in Brussels, and this is also important, as you are no good at conference interpreting without *practical* experience. Go for it, if you have the time and opportunity, and not just because it pays well, but because it's fun. But be aware, going freelance as a conference interpreter is not easy, if it's that wha... See more
I've done it, many moons ago. It used to be the PCL, the Polytechnic of Central London. It was hard, hard, hard, but well worth it, and if you are good you get the a (like your friend) in Brussels, and this is also important, as you are no good at conference interpreting without *practical* experience. Go for it, if you have the time and opportunity, and not just because it pays well, but because it's fun. But be aware, going freelance as a conference interpreter is not easy, if it's that what you are ultimately interested in.Collapse

Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 30, 2003

Thanks for your comments, most helpful, I've got no illusion that being a freelance conference interpreter is easy, far from it. It's just that I've had several opportunities to interpret during conferences but had to turn them down due to my booth phobia/inexperience. Also I'm not (completely) money-driven, I have tremendously enjoyed whatever interpreting I've done so far and feel it would be amazing to be able to do a couple of conferences a year, just to get out of my flat and be truly chall... See more
Thanks for your comments, most helpful, I've got no illusion that being a freelance conference interpreter is easy, far from it. It's just that I've had several opportunities to interpret during conferences but had to turn them down due to my booth phobia/inexperience. Also I'm not (completely) money-driven, I have tremendously enjoyed whatever interpreting I've done so far and feel it would be amazing to be able to do a couple of conferences a year, just to get out of my flat and be truly challenged (oooh how deliciously nervy do I get when it's my turn to talk)...Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
The stress of the moment. Oct 30, 2003

Total price of Westminster: about £9000 + London living expenses.
If your mother-tongue is French: total price in Brussels: (ISTI): €500. (normal interpreter training, no EMCI)
Total price in Paris: €500 (EMCI)+Paris living costs (also expensive).
You need to know at least two foreign languages at a high level (A-B-C or is it A-C-C)?
Interpreting is more the stress of the moment. Translation is the stress against the deadline. In a certain sense, interpreting tends
... See more
Total price of Westminster: about £9000 + London living expenses.
If your mother-tongue is French: total price in Brussels: (ISTI): €500. (normal interpreter training, no EMCI)
Total price in Paris: €500 (EMCI)+Paris living costs (also expensive).
You need to know at least two foreign languages at a high level (A-B-C or is it A-C-C)?
Interpreting is more the stress of the moment. Translation is the stress against the deadline. In a certain sense, interpreting tends to be a bit more social: you meet all kinds of interesting people.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conference interpreting training

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »