Thread poster: kerbager
kerbager
kerbager  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:06
English to French
Mar 8, 2005

Hi,

I have a problem with an agency who has been ignoring my messages and hasn't pay me for a job I did more than 3 months ago. First they said that the client didn't pay them yet, then they said that the client was not satisfied with the work (although I received from them when I delivered the translation a message saying how professional I was and they thanked me for the high quality of my work). Any way I just wanted to know what are my options because the agency is in New Zeland
... See more
Hi,

I have a problem with an agency who has been ignoring my messages and hasn't pay me for a job I did more than 3 months ago. First they said that the client didn't pay them yet, then they said that the client was not satisfied with the work (although I received from them when I delivered the translation a message saying how professional I was and they thanked me for the high quality of my work). Any way I just wanted to know what are my options because the agency is in New Zeland and I live in Canada, so what is the next step?

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Roula
Collapse

Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 06:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Do you have a PO? Mar 8, 2005

Always make sure you get a PO or letter of confirmation before starting any job.
If so, what were the payment terms? Some Agencies (although normally this occurs in Sth Europe) pay up to and over 90 days! Infuriating stuff but it happens!

Have you kept the e-mail of them extolling your professionalism?
Forward it to them with a payment reminder.

Get on the Blue Board and see if they have been BLACK BALLED by other translators! If not and you have no luck, be
... See more
Always make sure you get a PO or letter of confirmation before starting any job.
If so, what were the payment terms? Some Agencies (although normally this occurs in Sth Europe) pay up to and over 90 days! Infuriating stuff but it happens!

Have you kept the e-mail of them extolling your professionalism?
Forward it to them with a payment reminder.

Get on the Blue Board and see if they have been BLACK BALLED by other translators! If not and you have no luck, be the first to black ball them! And tell them so!!!!!

There was a topic in here a little while ago about "when was a decent time to complain about a job?"
definitely not three months later!!!!!

Good luck! Hope it's not too much money!

Kim
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:06
English to German
+ ...
Post a BB entry - don't 'blackball'.. Mar 8, 2005

Correction, if I may...
I fully agree with Kimmy's suggestion of posting a Blue Board entry. However:

Get on the Blue Board and see if they have been BLACK BALLED by other translators! If not and you have no luck, be the first to black ball them! And tell them so!!!!!

Please have a look at the rules set out in the Blue Board FAQ. The BB is not a 'black list', nor should you use a BB entry to threaten anyone.

Best regards,
Ralf

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
My Embassy has helped me two (2) times... Mar 9, 2005

Dear Roula,
First of all, I'm sorry for your bad experience.
I have experienced the same for two times, and two times I've asked for help to my Embassy in the corresponding country, and they have done a good work for free!
Fortunately, this does not happen too often (I've been a freelance translator for 20 years), but when it comes to ask for help in a foreign country, email to your Embassy!
You can find a complete listing
... See more
Dear Roula,
First of all, I'm sorry for your bad experience.
I have experienced the same for two times, and two times I've asked for help to my Embassy in the corresponding country, and they have done a good work for free!
Fortunately, this does not happen too often (I've been a freelance translator for 20 years), but when it comes to ask for help in a foreign country, email to your Embassy!
You can find a complete listing of Canadian embassies and consulates at http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/embassies/menu-en.asp
Don't hesitate, and do it. You'll be happy in a few days.
Best wishes,
Tadzio.
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:06
debt collection Mar 9, 2005

Think they're bull****ing you.

Email/Call them saying they've got 1 week to pay, otherwise you're getting a debt collection agency to take this further. Obviously, if this concerns a small amount of money, it may not be worth your while, but it's the principle. Why should you work for free?

O.

Aisling O'Callaghan
Aisling O'Callaghan
English to Irish
+ ...
in relation to debt collection Mar 9, 2005

I totally agree with Orla, especially as three months have already passed. I would send them one final warning and would then proceed down the legal road. There is plenty of information available on the Internet in relation to this. Don't give up until you get your money!

kaoh
kaoh
Local time: 21:06
French to English
If embassy won't help? Mar 9, 2005

Hi!

I too am having trouble getting paid by an agency, although this time in Belgium

After noticing this link I emailed the British Embassy in Brussels but they said they can't help as the issue is between a private company and a private person. They suggested I contact a lawyer but the amount I am waiting for is only 251 euros and I'm afraid this won't be worthwhile by the time I've paid legal fees?

K x

Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 06:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Sorry Ralf..... Mar 9, 2005

You are perfectly right!

I was feeling a little PASSIONATE about this subject having just had a tug of war myself with a payment for no apparent reason!

Guilty as charged!

I stand corrected....

Kim

kerbager
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Mar 9, 2005

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. Actually I sent this morning a final reminder in which I asked the client to pay me immediately and I warned him if I don't receive the payment by the end of week, I will not only take legal actions against him but I will post my comments regarding the agency in the blue bord.

Hopefully it will work. I will keep you posted.

Best regards

Roula

kerbager
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Guess what... Mar 9, 2005

I've just received a paypal message with the payment... Sometimes threats really work I am so happy. I really hope that translators who have payment issues will be lucky like I was.

Cheers

Roula

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
Spanish to English
Congratulations! Mar 10, 2005

Hello Roula,

I am glad to hear that the final warning worked with the agency.

One thing I would recommend is that you still add a Blue Board rating for this agency, even though you were paid. It could be that the next translator is not so lucky!

Sometimes I see agencies that have made several job offers in their history, but still have no Blue Board ratings. Obviously translators have done these jobs, but none of them want to post a rating.

... See more
Hello Roula,

I am glad to hear that the final warning worked with the agency.

One thing I would recommend is that you still add a Blue Board rating for this agency, even though you were paid. It could be that the next translator is not so lucky!

Sometimes I see agencies that have made several job offers in their history, but still have no Blue Board ratings. Obviously translators have done these jobs, but none of them want to post a rating.

Whenever I do a job for an agency, I make a point of entering a rating for them. If they aren't on the Blue Board, I take the time to enter their information and then add a rating.

I just thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that the Blue Board is only as good as we make it.

Thanks!

Russell
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency won't pay me

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »