No pictures and other problems with Trados 6
Thread poster: Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 27, 2003

Boy oh boy... lots of trouble in one program..... My assignment has so many different font styles and sizes I can't even begin changing them in Trados in order to keep out any webdings and wingdings in the translated text.
Even supposedly hidden original text shows, no matter what I do or don't do...
But what's more: the very nice and necessary pictures inserted in the original Word document are left blank when using Word and Trados.
This assignment just contains too many page
... See more
Boy oh boy... lots of trouble in one program..... My assignment has so many different font styles and sizes I can't even begin changing them in Trados in order to keep out any webdings and wingdings in the translated text.
Even supposedly hidden original text shows, no matter what I do or don't do...
But what's more: the very nice and necessary pictures inserted in the original Word document are left blank when using Word and Trados.
This assignment just contains too many pages to translate in the old-fashioned way...
All help is definitely welcome.

greets,
Bianca
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:20
Danish to English
+ ...
lots of problems with Trados Aug 28, 2003

Have you thought about translating directly in the document without Trados? Print out the document in its original form after saving it in its original form, then save a copy as a translated form. If there are that many problems, I would do the translation without Trados, or use Trados with each segment separately, i.e., open the segment and then "close" instead of using "next open". It is a bit slower but does work most of the time, windings and all.

Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Aug 28, 2003

BLANGSTED wrote:

Have you thought about translating directly in the document without Trados?

Thanks once more for the tip... I had thought about it but was quite reluctant to do so: how would Trados react to partially translated texts without the hidden source text.... But after your reply and a very speedy reply from the support in Bruxelles, I tried and... it worked!
As for the pictures: copy and paste from the original into the translation... Tedious and time-consuming but effective!
Some of the tips Bruxelles suggested:
* use the "get placeable" functions in Trados for all images and field codes
* don't use font styles which were changed manually / afterwards (Trados ignores them and uses the basic styles of the original document instead)
* documents made in Office 2000/Millenium/XP will create font type/size related problems when using Office 98 for translating with Trados. "Whenever possible, try to use the same Office version..."

The latter was easy: I asked my husband nicely (with a lot of hugs and kisses) to change my workstation into a multi-boot one.

houdoe,
Bianca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No pictures and other problems with Trados 6

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »