Open Source CAT tool with adaptive learning
Thread poster: Frimbo Gentoo
Frimbo Gentoo
Frimbo Gentoo
United Kingdom
May 10, 2021

Hello,

I am searching online for a specific feature in open source CAT tools and some results come up from this forum, so I joined it to ask and see if someone can help me.

I am not a pro translator(for money) and am just doing translation as a hobby.

I am looking for an Open Source plugin/tool that I can use that can adapt to my translations(or TMs).

I don't want to do MTPE(machine translate + post-edit).

I want to translate by us
... See more
Hello,

I am searching online for a specific feature in open source CAT tools and some results come up from this forum, so I joined it to ask and see if someone can help me.

I am not a pro translator(for money) and am just doing translation as a hobby.

I am looking for an Open Source plugin/tool that I can use that can adapt to my translations(or TMs).

I don't want to do MTPE(machine translate + post-edit).

I want to translate by using a CAT tool and then I want the CAT tool/plugin to adapt to my translations.

Some people say that just using a tool like OmegaT with its normal fuzzy match and TMs is fine, but I think having some adaptive and context-aware tool might be better.

I currently found this:

https://github.com/modernmt/

But it has no plugin support for OmegaT.

Any other suggestions?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Adaptive learning? May 10, 2021

Frimbo Gentoo wrote:
I don't want to do MTPE (machine translate + post-edit).
I want to translate by using a CAT tool and then I want the CAT tool/plugin to adapt to my translations.
I currently found this: https://github.com/modernmt/
But it has no plugin support for OmegaT.

AFAIK ModernMT is MTPE. Having a ModernMT plugin wouldn't adapt your existing translations (i.e. your TMs). It just improves (adapts) its own machine translation suggestions gradually based on how you post-edit their previous machine translations.

So... you want to do the translation first, and then you want to e.g. click an icon and then the plugin "adapts" your translation? That doesn't make any sense. Can you explain?

Jorge Payan

Frimbo Gentoo
Frimbo Gentoo
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation May 13, 2021

> So... you want to do the translation first, and then you want to e.g. click an icon and then the plugin "adapts" your translation? That doesn't make any sense. Can you explain?

I want the plugin to 'learn' from my TMs and then it can adapt and be context-aware in the document/book being translated.

For example, if I am translating a legal book. If I use a translation that equates to "persona non-grata", I want the plugin to be able to be context-aware for the rest of
... See more
> So... you want to do the translation first, and then you want to e.g. click an icon and then the plugin "adapts" your translation? That doesn't make any sense. Can you explain?

I want the plugin to 'learn' from my TMs and then it can adapt and be context-aware in the document/book being translated.

For example, if I am translating a legal book. If I use a translation that equates to "persona non-grata", I want the plugin to be able to be context-aware for the rest of the document that this is the correct usage.

So in order to achieve this, I think(?) it needs to have some adaption/contextualization. I could be wrong.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Source CAT tool with adaptive learning

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »