Thread poster: Hardy Moreno
Hardy Moreno
Hardy Moreno  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2006

Hello,

I'm kind of new to the whole TM thing. I need to translate several pdf forms. Can someone recommend a TM Program that works with pdf files.

Please also talk about the ease of use if there are several programs out there.

Thanks

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:38
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
If possible... Jun 26, 2006

If the format allows for it, you can always export your pdf files to Word and use Trados, Wordfast, etc. as usual.

Good luck
Zyntia.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
None that I'm aware of Jun 26, 2006

Hardy Moreno wrote:
Can someone recommend a TM Program that works with pdf files.

I don't know of any TM program that works with PDF files. Usually you'd have to convert the PDF to some other format, and when you're done, you have to convert it back to PDF, and the conversion won't be lossless.

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Wrong question Jun 26, 2006

Hello,

you have the wrong question.

Which (editor) prgram works with pdf files.

If you can find a good edior for pdf files, you can after this look for the tm program.

Hans

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not a good procedure Jun 26, 2006

Since no documents are actually created in pdf directly, it makes much more sense to translate in the format from which the pdf was created.

If that original format is unavailable (which is much too often the case), you have to convert to, say, Word and then (after translating it) back to pdf. I is always problematic, but sometimes workable.

Antonin

Hardy Moreno
Hardy Moreno  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What TM program(s) work with PDF files Jun 26, 2006

Thanks guys!!

I didn't know that there wasn't a TM program to work with pdf files.

I'm going to have to use Adobe Designer, which allows me to edit a pdf file. I'll translate it directly with no TM

Thanks again!

Gert Sass (M.A.)
Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How convert PDF to MS Word AND keep format more or less consistent? Jul 19, 2006

Dear all,

This may have been answered before, as it is obviously a very basic question which has been touched in your answers to this topic.

I was contacted by a client who apparently intended me to translate a PDF source document and return it in PDF format while keeping the original formatting (mostly tables, some special fonts, some icons, but generally no images). Now, apart from trying to re-build those formatting structures in Word, translating and poss. converti
... See more
Dear all,

This may have been answered before, as it is obviously a very basic question which has been touched in your answers to this topic.

I was contacted by a client who apparently intended me to translate a PDF source document and return it in PDF format while keeping the original formatting (mostly tables, some special fonts, some icons, but generally no images). Now, apart from trying to re-build those formatting structures in Word, translating and poss. converting the result into PDF, I could not think of any satisfying and less time-consuming procedure. I tried the "PDF2Word" software, but this only resulted in a kind of formatting (text blocks) which is not recognized by Trados (or any other CAT tool, I guess).

Does anybody know a working solution? (I know, I might have learned a lot about this had I attended the presentation on "How to tackle PDF" in Berlin but I didn´t have the opportunity, alas!).

TIA

Gert
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
tackled many times before on this forum, I believe Jul 19, 2006

There are no "magic CAT tools" for directly translating pdf files - this is implied by the very nature of pdf.

(1) Regarding the pdf-to-doc conversion, the ABBYY FineRaeder OCR program is IMHO the best tool (though getting the source from which the pdf was originally made leads to more professional results as a rule).

(2) For example Star Transit translates Word text boxes without problems; perhaps the newer verions of Trados TagEditor as well?

HTH
<
... See more
There are no "magic CAT tools" for directly translating pdf files - this is implied by the very nature of pdf.

(1) Regarding the pdf-to-doc conversion, the ABBYY FineRaeder OCR program is IMHO the best tool (though getting the source from which the pdf was originally made leads to more professional results as a rule).

(2) For example Star Transit translates Word text boxes without problems; perhaps the newer verions of Trados TagEditor as well?

HTH

Antonin
Collapse

Sofia Ortega
Sofia Ortega
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
which one should I choose Jul 25, 2006

Hi everyone!

This is the forum I was looking for as I have a pdf file to translate. I am a Trados user so I was looking for a good OCR to convert my PDF file into a RTF one or similar.
I see the ABBY TRansformer 1.0 (FineReader) is a good one, but does anyone know anything at all about Solid Converter PDF?

I will have to buy one anyway, so I would appreciate if you recommend me the best one. Thanks!

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
My choice... Jul 25, 2006

Sofía, I personally use OmniPage Professional 15, and I'm very satisfied with its accuracy.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What TM program(s) work with PDF files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »