Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it possible to find clients exclusively online?
Thread poster: Alana Morris (X)
Alana Morris (X)
Alana Morris (X)
United Kingdom
Feb 26, 2022

Hello,

I am currently studying for a master's in translation to become a DE->EN translator.

I am a native English speaker with a degree in and a lot of working experience in the German language. When I graduate, however, I will likely be moving to North America.

This will certainly make it more difficult to find clients, as I know that the majority of the DE->EN work is to be found in the German speaking countries.

My question is, is it possi
... See more
Hello,

I am currently studying for a master's in translation to become a DE->EN translator.

I am a native English speaker with a degree in and a lot of working experience in the German language. When I graduate, however, I will likely be moving to North America.

This will certainly make it more difficult to find clients, as I know that the majority of the DE->EN work is to be found in the German speaking countries.

My question is, is it possible to earn a living in translation solely from finding clients online? Or is it still vital to be able to obtain business from contacts gained in a face to face setting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Alana
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:36
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 27, 2022

I have been freelance translating EN>DE for about 17 years now, successful enough for my needs.
I have never had a single face-to-face meeting with a client.

[Edited at 2022-02-27 16:06 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Paul Lambert
Adieu
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
Rachel Waddington
Tom in London

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 27, 2022

... And I think that clients generally consider it advantageous if a translator resides in a country of her/his target language.

Tom in London
Rui Domingues
Morano El-Kholy

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Last time I met a client was Feb 27, 2022

Hmm... 2006? 2007? Something like that.

Angie Garbarino
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Alana Feb 27, 2022

I have been translating full-time since 1985. I had a few face-to-face meetings when I started out (it was before the Internet era) but I haven’t had a single meeting with a client for many years. Everything is done online, from the first contact, to the negotiation, the delivery of the translation, the issue of the invoice and the payment…

Angie Garbarino
Philip Lees

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
... Feb 27, 2022

It never ceases to amaze me how ill-equipped for work some young people are even after a Master’s degree…

@Alana,

I know it’s not your fault…

Angie Garbarino
Tom in London
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
Jorge Payan
Diego Lopez

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ill equipped? Feb 27, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how ill-equipped for work some young people are even after a Master’s degree…

@Alana,

I'm really not sure why you would conclude that the OP is ill equipped for work. It seems like a reasonable enough question to me.

Stepan Konev
Jan Truper
Thomas Pfann
Joe France

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Alana Feb 27, 2022

Alana Morris wrote:
I will likely be moving to North America.

I'm reading your message in the Netherlands. Although you wrote it in England, it somehow crossed the channel and found its way to me.

I have met only three of my clients IRL, but I found them all online, as I did all my other clients. I currently live in the Netherlands, and I have found about half of my clients while I lived here... but my clients are not from the Netherlands: they are mostly from the United States and the Middle East.

Angie Garbarino
Adieu

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The Internet is our world Feb 28, 2022

I live in the UK, translate Swedish/English and vice versa. My clients are physically resident in the US, China, Malta, Sweden, the UK, the Netherlands, Portugal, Germany, Turkey, France etc. - and I have never met a single one of them IRL.

Even so I have friendly and trusting relationships with a number of them who have now been my clients for several years.

Adieu
Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ill-equipped Feb 28, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

@Alana,

It does seem that these academic courses don't teach the basics of translation as a business.

Adieu
Angie Garbarino
Jorge Payan
Kay Denney
Diego Lopez

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
What about the rest? Feb 28, 2022

Any real-world skills at all?

Btw, on a separate note, why does a line of work that amounts to more of an artisanal craft even have Master's degrees on offer? Seems like something better suited to community colleges/technical schools/apprenticeships or as a minor for someone majoring in the sciences, medicine, law, or literature.

Do Masters of Translation instead spend their days studying the mathematics behind CATs or cryptography? Or perhaps the history and mechanisms
... See more
Any real-world skills at all?

Btw, on a separate note, why does a line of work that amounts to more of an artisanal craft even have Master's degrees on offer? Seems like something better suited to community colleges/technical schools/apprenticeships or as a minor for someone majoring in the sciences, medicine, law, or literature.

Do Masters of Translation instead spend their days studying the mathematics behind CATs or cryptography? Or perhaps the history and mechanisms of cultural appropriation across language barriers through major works like epics or religious texts that naturally trickle past local language barriers and transform in the process? If so, that would indeed make sense, but also be utterly pointless for actual working translators.

PS then again, in a world full of oddities like Doctorates in Hotel Management, who am I to judge?

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

@Alana,

It does seem that these academic courses don't teach the basics of translation as a business.

[Edited at 2022-02-28 09:38 GMT]

Collapse

David Jessop
Diego Lopez

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ill-equipped Feb 28, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

@Alana,

The discussion about what Master's programmes should teach is a valid one, but I think it is off-topic here. It seems quite rude to accuse a prospective translator who comes on here asking for our advice of being ill-prepared for work.

In any case, the OP has not finished her Master's yet and she is here, networking and filling in the gaps in her knowledge about how freelancing works. I take that as a sign that she is actually pretty well-prepared for her career.

It's not necessary to know everything right from the start as long as we know how to find out.

[Edited at 2022-02-28 10:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-28 10:01 GMT]

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Rachel Feb 28, 2022

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

@Alana,

I'm really not sure why you would conclude that the OP is ill equipped for work. It seems like a reasonable enough question to me.

It looks like you misunderstood my post (not being English-native speaker I wonder if it was poorly worded on my part). It was never my intention to say that the original poster was ill-equipped to be a translator. That’s why I said “I know it’s not your fault!”. What I meant to say is that her question reveals that some students at the end of their education are left very ill-prepared for the business side of things…

Angie Garbarino
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Anna Gorska

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sorry Feb 28, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

It looks like you misunderstood my post (not being English-native speaker I wonder if it was poorly worded on my part). It was never my intention to say that the original poster was ill-equipped to be a translator. That’s why I said “I know it’s not your fault!”. What I meant to say is that her question reveals that some students at the end of their education are left very ill-prepared for the business side of things…

Sorry if I misunderstood you Teresa, I can see you didn't mean it as an insult.

I agree with the point about business skills, that's why I tend to advise people to spend some time working before they become a freelance just to find out how everything works. There was so much I didn't know when I started.

P.L.F. Persio
Rui Domingues

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Being non native my self Feb 28, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

What I meant to say is that her question reveals that some students at the end of their education are left very ill-prepared for the business side of things…

I had understood

Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to find clients exclusively online?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »