William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 04:07
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 7, 2022

For the past year, translating has been fit into daily engagement. What's frustrating is after I took some tests arranged by a number of companies, I found some feedbacks negative. They just need flawless products. At the same time, I found some translation I reviewed for some companies just messed up and lost in meaning or diction but was told human did.
That's rediculous. If recruiters don't value quality translators, they will leave.
A new sign in China I have found is that compa
... See more
For the past year, translating has been fit into daily engagement. What's frustrating is after I took some tests arranged by a number of companies, I found some feedbacks negative. They just need flawless products. At the same time, I found some translation I reviewed for some companies just messed up and lost in meaning or diction but was told human did.
That's rediculous. If recruiters don't value quality translators, they will leave.
A new sign in China I have found is that companies are recruiting more and more inhouse translators with better salaries. And for your take as a freelancer, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:07
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Chinese to English? Mar 7, 2022

William Yang wrote:

A new sign in China I have found is that companies are recruiting more and more inhouse translators with better salaries. And for your take as a freelancer, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Your profile says that you translate from Chinese to English- but your English is not good.

Paul Malone
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jorge Payan

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
see CV Mar 7, 2022

A mistake here, I mean I have a cover letter which tells my clients I use native proofreader.
Tom in London write:

Your profile says that you translate from Chinese to Enrglish- but your English is not good.

I have never said I'm perfect I always told my clients I have proofreader. And you have not seen worse So I doubt your intentions.

[Edited at 2022-03-07 16:10 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Yubing Mar 7, 2022

William Yang wrote:
What's frustrating is after I took some tests arranged by a number of companies, I found some feedbacks negative. They just need flawless products.

Clients do expect a degree of flawlessness from translators, yes.

I had a look at your résumé to see if I could give you some feedback. A résumé is a document that the author spends a lot of time on to make it perfect. If a résumé contains errors, it means that either the author thought that that is what it is supposed to be like, or the author is so imprecise that he doesn't care (nor will he be precise and careful with a client's work).

If I was looking for a Chinese-English translator, I would not hire you, for these reasons: the first page of your résumé has 17 very visible errors on it.

[screenshot removed on Yubing's request]

I realise that you translate mainly from English and not into English, but you should be familiar with English conventions anyway, if you translate from it.

William Yang wrote:
I have never said I'm perfect. I always told my clients I have proofreader.

Why did you not use the proofreader for your résumé? Why did you not use the proofreader for the test translations that you received the negative feedback about?

[Edited at 2022-03-07 16:29 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder
Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You published my CV without consulting me. Mar 7, 2022

You made me think you're nasty and rude.

[Edited at 2022-03-07 15:42 GMT]

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's obvious you're dragging me to your dark unfame Mar 7, 2022

Delete or hide my CV, Samuel.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on translating into your native language? Mar 7, 2022

What about concentrating on translating from English into Chinese and aiming to produce flawless translations in that language combination?

I believe that that would be a better strategy for you than attempting to translate into a non-native language and not making a very good job of it. Although you may well be excellent at translating from Chinese into English - something I would not be able or qualified to judge - you risk ruining your credibility by translating in the opposite d
... See more
What about concentrating on translating from English into Chinese and aiming to produce flawless translations in that language combination?

I believe that that would be a better strategy for you than attempting to translate into a non-native language and not making a very good job of it. Although you may well be excellent at translating from Chinese into English - something I would not be able or qualified to judge - you risk ruining your credibility by translating in the opposite direction unless you can do so to a level at least approaching a professional standard.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Rachel Waddington
philgoddard
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your post with my CV is still there Sanmual Mar 7, 2022

Erase it right away. Thanks in advance.

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't see any reasons why I should not do the pair of Chinese into English Mar 7, 2022

I understand Chinese better and I have an English native proofread, which is better than an English native working on his/her own with the language pair.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Your English is not good enough Mar 7, 2022

Don't take it the wrong way; it is not meant as a criticism. The problem is you don't know what you don't know. For example, I have been living and working in Spain since 1992. I consider my Spanish to be pretty good, but I know it's not good enough for me to use as target in translations. I only offer Spanish>English, and I always recommend others not to offer both directions, from both a practical and a marketing point of view. Why not simply offer English>Chinese?

Paul Malone
expressisverbis
Barbara Turchetto
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Stepan Konev

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
many times i told my clients and this forum again and again. Mar 7, 2022

I work with an English native proofreader.

matt robinson wrote:

Don't take it the wrong way; it is not meant as a criticism. The problem is you don't know what you don't know. For example, I have been living and working in Spain since 1992. I consider my Spanish to be pretty good, but I know it's not good enough for me to use as target in translations. I only offer Spanish>English, and I always recommend others not to offer both directions, from both a practical and a marketing point of view. Why not simply offer English>Chinese?

[Edited at 2022-03-07 16:04 GMT]

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
There are many reasons, some of which have already been mentioned. Mar 7, 2022

No criticism is intended at all. I was attempting to give you advice, based on my own experience, as to what I would probably do if I found myself in your circumstances. If you don't see any reasons why not to translate from Chinese into English, then that suggests that you disagree with the reasons that have already been mentioned in this thread. The title of your post is "What are your ideas?" Did you start this thread because you were seeking advice, or was there some other reason?

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Rachel Waddington
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Pardon my French Mar 7, 2022

Despite you reiterating that,

William Yang wrote:
I use native proofreader.

I have proofreader.

I have an English native proofread

I work with an English native proofreader.

I am afraid you'll need more than just a proofreader when it comes to your English language skills.
And I am saying this as an Italian translator, translating EXCLUSIVELY into Italian, my native language.

Good luck, and don't f**k it up! (RuPaul docet.)

[Edited at 2022-03-07 16:44 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

William Yang
William Yang
China
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My intentions Mar 7, 2022

My intention to seek advice is about the market trends and I may have other options besides translating. I'm not cutting or removing the corner to sacrifice other people's interest.
You saying "You I don't know what you don't know" sounds like common sense applicable any situation so it's worthless to me.
Did you start this thread because you were seeking advice, or was there some other reason?

[Edited at 2022-03-07 16:35 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what're your ideas?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »