Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Setting up as freelance translator in the Netherlands, then moving to France in a few years
Thread poster: Frederique Meerburg
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:17
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Banks and phones Oct 3, 2022

Frederique Meerburg wrote:
I called KNAB and asked them if I can´t bank by desktop and sms, but no, not possible withou app on new phone!

Smartphone apps are increasingly being used for verification of transactions and other matters, so clearly banks have decided to assume that people have fairly recent smartphones. (I don't like this trend, but that's hardly relevant.)

Your outdated phone is only going to be become more outdated. Wouldn't it be more sensible to change or update your phone, rather than base your choice of business bank account on what you can do with the smartphone you have in your hand today?

Regards,
Dan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dutch banks Oct 3, 2022

Dan Lucas wrote:
Smartphone apps are increasingly being used for verification of transactions and other matters, so clearly banks have decided to assume that people have fairly recent smartphones.

When you sign up for an account a traditional bank in the Netherlands, you are given an authentication device that you can use instead of a smartphone app. Of course, the OP has been approaching a non-traditional bank and seems to prefer non-local banks that do not have such devices for their customers.

[Edited at 2022-10-03 11:17 GMT]

Frederique Meerburg
Frederique Meerburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2022)
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bank and logo Oct 3, 2022

As far as I know ASN is an established bank, and one I already have an account at. I don´t really like ING or ABN as they have been involved in so many money laundering scandals. RABO is definitely also a possibility. But glad to hear of everyone's experience. Having an authentication device would be fine.

I personally want to use my current smartphone as long as possible as it is still in good shape, and am also not able to drop €500-1200 on a new phone. 😉

The lo
... See more
As far as I know ASN is an established bank, and one I already have an account at. I don´t really like ING or ABN as they have been involved in so many money laundering scandals. RABO is definitely also a possibility. But glad to hear of everyone's experience. Having an authentication device would be fine.

I personally want to use my current smartphone as long as possible as it is still in good shape, and am also not able to drop €500-1200 on a new phone. 😉

The logo just came in and it looks great! Thank you www.bizay.nl

I am now going to set up the domain name/website and register the logo/business name.

Registering the brand/logo is expensive, cheapest I've been able to find so far is €475 😐
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Unnecessary Oct 3, 2022

The logo just came in and it looks great! ...
I am now going to ... register the logo/business name. Registering the brand/logo is expensive, cheapest I've been able to find so far is €475.

It is unnecessary for you to have a logo. It's not as if you're going to produce products with a logo on it. Your logo will be used on your web site, your invoice, possibly your résumé, and your business cards. In fact, it was unnecessary to pay someone to design it. Your name is your logo -- no-one can take that away from you. In addition, the only "protection" that you get when you register your logo is that it becomes slightly easier for you to sue someone who uses a logo similar to yours, if they're a local entity.

Your business name is already registered with the company register (KvK). The KvK registration does not protect your business name from others using a similar name, but that isn't really important for translators. Can I assume you're going to trade under your own name, e.g. "Frederique Meerburg" or "Frederique Meerburg Translations"? If you want to trade under a different name, then it's going to be more complicated and expensive because you'd have to pay to run a check on whether your name potentially overlaps with someone else's. But you can always, always trade under your own name, without having to check if someone else has a similar name.

The cost of setting up a business in the Netherlands is €51,95 for the company register (KvK) and €15,60 to get a copy of your registration, and whatever it costs to open a business bank account (around €50-100 for the annual fees). That's it. Of course you'll have marketing-related costs, too, e.g. a website, business cards, etc. but those are marketing costs, not start-up costs.

[Edited at 2022-10-03 12:32 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:17
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Priorities Oct 3, 2022

I personally want to use my current smartphone as long as possible as it is still in good shape, and am also not able to drop €500-1200 on a new phone.

A cheap modern smartphone for your business would set you back 100 euro or so. Not an iPhone, but it would work and allow you to use any bank account. And that would be a fraction of what you are considering spending on registering the logo.

Of course, if there is genuinely very little difference between bank accounts in NL then it may make sense to choose one with an app you can use with your existing phone. Looking at my use of the bank, I don't need loans or lines of credit, it's just basic transfers in and out. Maybe any business bank account would therefore have met my needs.

I acknowledge Samuel's points but unlike him I actually think a logo is a good idea (provided you don't spend a lot of money registering it), and I always recommend a unique domain to people if they're happy with the process of setting it up. Might as well plan for success.

Regards,
Dan

Frederique Meerburg
Frederique Meerburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2022)
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Domain and website online Oct 3, 2022

Hello everyone and thanks for your input,

Haven´t decided yet on the bank yet but think I may go for ASN as I am already client with them. And the app works already on my phone!

The domain name and a basic version of the Dutch-language website are online now: https://penta-translations.com/

Now I have to make the website in English, French, Spanish, and Catalan.
... See more
Hello everyone and thanks for your input,

Haven´t decided yet on the bank yet but think I may go for ASN as I am already client with them. And the app works already on my phone!

The domain name and a basic version of the Dutch-language website are online now: https://penta-translations.com/

Now I have to make the website in English, French, Spanish, and Catalan.

Got my new mail address and am trying to connect it to my Outlook.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up as freelance translator in the Netherlands, then moving to France in a few years

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »