Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:30
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Russian steam bath Mar 1

Nothing compares with Russian steam bath like this https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/attractions-splice-spp-720x480/09/f8/73/b7.jpg

IrinaN
Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:30
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
There y go matey Mar 1

Lieven Malaise wrote:
I'm an avid hiker. Hiking is my wellness, my therapy and my passion (I'm full of hiking plans that I will probably never realize).

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
There you go matey Mar 1

Lieven Malaise wrote:
I'm an avid hiker. Hiking is my wellness, my therapy and my passion (I'm full of hiking plans that I will probably never realize).

Here's one to put on your bucket list.

Dan

Gennady Lapardin
Lieven Malaise
Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
After 6 pm Mar 1

By the time I get to 1800 (which is 1900 Italian time and all my clients are in Italy) I like - if possible - to run my daily backup. This automatically shuts down the computer at the end. It stays off until the next morning. Then I spend the evening having dinner and watching TV or reading a good book.

This is a discipline that prevents me from overworking and forces me to chill.

Sarah Elizabeth
Rachel Waddington
P.L.F. Persio
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Christine Andersen

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 4

IMG_20190818_111746

Michele Fauble
Becca Resnik
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B

Aline Brito
Aline Brito  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:30
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Mar 26

I love getting massages!

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:30
English to Swedish
+ ...
women stuff Mar 27

Those options are all women stuff. Men don't do those sorts of things.

Also, I suspect most men would conceptualize things differently: We never "pamper ourselves" - but we do occasionally take a break from work. And we don't associate "pampering oneself" with "wellness": that's an association which the companies selling these things to women want them to make, and women use it as an excuse to spend money and time on those things. Jacuzzi = wellness? It's decadence and laziness. The
... See more

Also, I suspect most men would conceptualize things differently: We never "pamper ourselves" - but we do occasionally take a break from work. And we don't associate "pampering oneself" with "wellness": that's an association which the companies selling these things to women want them to make, and women use it as an excuse to spend money and time on those things. Jacuzzi = wellness? It's decadence and laziness. There is a lot of women-oriented stuff going on in this question. Men function very differently from women.

[Edited at 2024-03-27 04:39 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:30
French to English
. Mar 27

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Also, I suspect most men would conceptualize things differently: We never "pamper ourselves" - but we do occasionally take a break from work. And we don't associate "pampering oneself" with "wellness": that's an association which the companies selling these things to women want them to make, and women use it as an excuse to spend money and time on those things. Jacuzzi = wellness? It's decadence and laziness. There is a lot of women-oriented stuff going on in this question. Men function very differently from women.

Well, there are plenty of posts on this thread with women saying they don't do any of the things on the list, and there are men saying they do go to the hamman or get a massage now and then, so I'm not sure your statement is true. It is stuff that's marketed at women, sure, but men are not barred from spas. There are just as many men as women in the jacuzzi down at the pool I go to.

But thanks for calling us women decadent and lazy!

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Jennifer Levey
Lingua 5B
Robert Rietvelt

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends... Mar 27

Thomas Johansson wrote:

It depends on the woman/translator and it depends on the the kind of "pampering".
I, for one, don't pamper myself because I don't have the money or the time for that.
One of the things I do is take some time (which is very little) for myself and organise certain things. Otherwise, my life is a rush.
I like travelling, but even that I can't do anymore. In my llife I have top priorities. I like to focus my time and energy on what matters most.
Yesterday, I made tiramisu as dessert for dinner... Does it count as pampering?

Christopher Schröder

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
decadence Mar 27

[quote]Kay Denney wrote:

Thomas Johansson wrote:
There are just as many men as women in the jacuzzi down at the pool I go to.

But thanks for calling us women decadent and lazy!

Well, the decadence is affecting both men and women today, not only women. Videogames, marijuana, beer drinking, cigarette smoking are examples of some deplorable habits picked up perhaps mostly by men, and there are many things affecting both sexes.

I am not surprised there are lots of men at the jacuzzi today, and I wonder if they have nothing better to do (well, those men probably don't). It's part of an overall effeminization process of men that has been going on for decades.

[Edited at 2024-03-27 15:21 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Wow Mar 27

I am literally shocked by the sexist comments and unfounded generalizations provided by Thomas.

Btw, Sandra, that kitty is gorgeous.

expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Robert Rietvelt

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Sour grapes Mar 27

Thomas Johansson wrote:

I am not surprised there are lots of men at the jacuzzi today, and I wonder if they have nothing better to do

I've heard that a couple of whimps going by the names Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great enjoyed hot tubs and mineral baths.

Christopher Schröder
Robert Rietvelt

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
We shouldn't forget that therapies contribute to overall wellness for individuals of all genders Mar 27

Thomas Johansson wrote:

Well, the decadence is affecting both men and women today, not only women. Videogames, marijuana, beer drinking, cigarette smoking are examples of some deplorable habits picked up perhaps mostly by men, and there are many things affecting both sexes.

I am not surprised there are lots of men at the jacuzzi today, and I wonder if they have nothing better to do (well, those men probably don't). It's part of an overall effeminization process of men that has been going on for decades.

I think it's important to recognise that self-care practices, that may include activities like using a jacuzzi or indulging in spa treatments, can contribute to overall wellness for individuals of all genders.
Taking time to relax and engage in activities that promote mental and physical well-being is a fundamental aspect of self-care, rather than mere decadence or laziness as you stated.
There are some therapies that can help smokers to not only quit, but to stay clean after quitting, for example:

https://www.healingholidays.com/blog/stop-smoking-treatments-that-work

We're not perfect. Human beings are creatures of habit(s), "deplorable" or not ("deplorable" is too strong, maybe I'd use "bad").

Lingua 5B: Many thanks. Well, this guy on the photo gets a lot of pampering, including getting his beauty sleep to be healthy and adorable

Lingua 5B
Robert Rietvelt

Thomas Johansson
Peru
English to Swedish
+ ...
apology Mar 27

Lingua 5B wrote:

I am literally shocked by the sexist comments and unfounded generalizations provided by Thomas.

Ok, sorry, I apologize to all men out there if you found it sexist of me to criticize the widespread use of videogames, marijuana, beer drinking, and cigarette smoking among men, if you felt targeted or uncomfortable about this remark. I didn't mean to offend or hurt you, and, of course, making an uncomfortable comment about men must obviously be considered sexist. And these comments were obviously also unfounded because, as we all know, no men play videogames, use marijuana, drink beer or smoke cigarettes, and, even if they were, it would obviously all be for their wellness, improving both their lives and their contributions to their families and communities. So, go for it, lads.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Unfounded Mar 27

It's unfounded because if I go to spa, or rarely sauna, I always see at last half of the visitors who are men there. You also called them losers who have nothing better to do, which is beyond unbelievable.

This poll has spa/wellness standard offerings as its orientation. If you don't like it, you may skip it or open a new poll, it's that simple. I don't understand the frustration in your comments.

Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My favorite wellness/pampering time is:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »