Julieta Llamazares
Julieta Llamazares  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 2, 2021

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to announce that the winners of "Game on" in the following language pairs have been selected by the community:

English to Spanish: <
... See more

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to announce that the winners of "Game on" in the following language pairs have been selected by the community:

English to Spanish: Sury Castro
English to Portuguese (BR): Sharon Martins
English to French: Cyril Tollari
English to Italian: Laura Chiesa
English to Portuguese (EU): Nadia Morais
English to Arabic: Assem AlKhallouf
English to German: Susanne Gläsel
English to Chinese: Alex Liu
English to Russian: Lyudmila Raylyan
English to Swahili : Jonah Ondieki
English to Polish: Anna Sieroslawska and Justyna Zhang
English to Croatian: Samanta Bićanić
English to Albanian: Daniela Pjetri
English to Bulgarian: Pavel Constantinov
English to Dutch: Marianne van Amersfoort-Gerritsen
English to Hindi: Mukund Rai
English to Indonesian: Astari Putri
English to Turkish: Recep Kurt
English to Finnish: Tiia Tikka

Unfortunaly, winners could not be selected in the other language pairs. However, you can still see these entries and provide feedback here.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this edition of ProZ.com translation contests. Hope you had fun!

Julieta
Collapse

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:46
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm sorry, I couldn't help it Sep 2, 2021

I have to say I have never participated in a ProZ.com Translation Contest, but the English to Portuguese (EU) text is everything except European Portuguese.
I'm sorry, but we need to be honest here, after all Proz.com is a community/group of language professionals!
As for the winner... no offence meant. As I said above, we must be fair.

[Edited at 2021-09-02 21:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-09-02 21:15 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Rui Domingues
Tom in London
Baran Keki
Marina Steinbach

mlceron
mlceron
Venezuela
Local time: 16:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Looking forward to the next contest Sep 2, 2021

Hi Julieta, I am new to ProZ.com. When does the next contest start? I would love to participate in the English to Spanish pair! Thank you

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Julieta Sep 3, 2021

This translation contest is going from bad to worse year after year. The European Portuguese contest this year was won by a… Brazilian!

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Rachel Fell
Rui Domingues
Tom in London
ahartje
P.L.F. Persio

Julieta Llamazares
Julieta Llamazares  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next contest will be available soon Sep 3, 2021

Hi mlceron! A new translation contest will be available soon. It will be announced here on the forums as well as by email and through ProZ.com social media, so make sure to stay tuned!

Teresa and expressisverbis, thank you for the heads-up. I will review this situation.

Have a nice day,
Julieta

expressisverbis

Rui Domingues
Rui Domingues  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Misleading results Sep 3, 2021

As some colleagues already pointed out, the winner translation for the EN-PT European was made by a native Brazilian translator, and looking at the translated text it is indeed Brazilian Portuguese…
There is no point to launch such contests if Proz don’t apply due diligence to confirm if the translations submitted are indeed in the target language.

First, could the Proz team explain why they accept the participation of linguists whose mother tongue is different from the on
... See more
As some colleagues already pointed out, the winner translation for the EN-PT European was made by a native Brazilian translator, and looking at the translated text it is indeed Brazilian Portuguese…
There is no point to launch such contests if Proz don’t apply due diligence to confirm if the translations submitted are indeed in the target language.

First, could the Proz team explain why they accept the participation of linguists whose mother tongue is different from the one required in the contest for a particular linguistic combination?
With this kind of deceptive results, Proz is contributing to undermine the translation market, helping to convey the idea that there is no difference between the variants of a language.

That’s why some fellow translators claim to be able to translate into both European and Brazilian Portuguese, misleading the clients. There will be always differences, that native speakers will notice.

Proz should revise the results of the contest.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Tom in London
ahartje
P.L.F. Persio
Ana Pinto

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I read somewhere... Sep 3, 2021

"ProZ.com translation contests offer a fun way to take a break from your normal routine while testing and honing your skills with fellow translators."

Yes, it was great fun (it took me by surprise) to see a Brazilian Portuguese as a winner in a contest from English to European Portuguese, and I took a deep breath (not a break) when the winner was announced.

If unfairness is seen, site staff members should investigate it. And, if we want the "game on", fair play is neede
... See more
"ProZ.com translation contests offer a fun way to take a break from your normal routine while testing and honing your skills with fellow translators."

Yes, it was great fun (it took me by surprise) to see a Brazilian Portuguese as a winner in a contest from English to European Portuguese, and I took a deep breath (not a break) when the winner was announced.

If unfairness is seen, site staff members should investigate it. And, if we want the "game on", fair play is needed!

[Edited at 2021-09-03 22:38 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Julieta Sep 5, 2021

As entries are judged in two stages, I think it would be very interesting and most helpful to know who voted on this entry and why.

expressisverbis
Rui Domingues
ahartje
P.L.F. Persio
Alison Jenner

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
English to Portuguese (EU)? Sep 5, 2021

Just out of curiosity, I’ve visited the Translator Contest page EN-PT (EU) to see who were the other finalists and to my amazement (and my dismay) from those who are identified two are Portuguese and 5 are Brazilian (not counting the winner)!

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
ahartje
Rui Domingues
P.L.F. Persio

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thanks! Sep 7, 2021

Hello everyone,

As Julieta mentions in her last post, the issue you report with the English to Portuguese (EU) winner entry is being reviewed. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, and please submit any further comments or details through the support center.

In the meantime, you are all invit
... See more
Hello everyone,

As Julieta mentions in her last post, the issue you report with the English to Portuguese (EU) winner entry is being reviewed. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, and please submit any further comments or details through the support center.

In the meantime, you are all invited to provide feedback on pairs in which no winner could be determined.

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to the +500 users who participated in this contest with an entry, a rate or a vote!

Lucia
Collapse

expressisverbis

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 14:46
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language variety Sep 9, 2021

I see no problem in the fact that the winner of Portuguese is from Brazil.

The winner from English to Spanish is from...SPAIN and no one from Latin America or elsewhere is complaining!
https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/pair/4238

The same can be said of French. The winner is from...FRANCE and no one from Canada or elsewhere is complaining!
... See more
I see no problem in the fact that the winner of Portuguese is from Brazil.

The winner from English to Spanish is from...SPAIN and no one from Latin America or elsewhere is complaining!

The same can be said of French. The winner is from...FRANCE and no one from Canada or elsewhere is complaining!
https://www.proz.com/translation-contests/pair/4261

There should be just one category, not two separate categories. That is the problem with Portuguese!

Otherwise, let's then have 2 or more categories for Spanish (Spain, Latin America, USA, Africa), French (France, Canada, Belgium, Africa), English (UK, USA, Australia, etc...), and any other eligible language. That would indeed make little sense!

In conclusion, let's make it simple and congratulate the Brazilian winner.

[Edited at 2021-09-10 00:11 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
English to Portuguese (EU) Sep 9, 2021

Wilsonn Perez Reyes wrote:

I see no problem in the fact that the winner of Portuguese is from Brazil. The winner from English to Spanish is from...SPAIN and no one from Latin America or elsewhere is complaining!

[Edited at 2021-09-09 21:55 GMT]

Wilsonn,

For better or for worse, the competition had two separate categories for English to Portuguese (EU) and English to Portuguese (BR) and only one for English to Spanish.

Given that, don't you agree it is a reasonable expectation that the English to Portuguese (EU) entries should comply with the language variant requirement?

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Iris Schmerda
Rui Domingues
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Little sense Sep 10, 2021

It may be interesting to know why Portuguese has received this different treatment. Is it because of more important differences between these two variants or the number of Brazilian Portuguese speakers relative to Portuguese speakers?

Wilsonn Perez Reyes:

There should be just one category, not two separate categories. That is the problem with Portuguese!

Otherwise, let's then have 2 or more categories for Spanish (Spain, Latin America, USA, Africa), French (France, Canada, Belgium, Africa), English (UK, USA, Australia, etc...), and any other eligible language. That would indeed make little sense!

In conclusion, let's make it simple and congratulate the Brazilian winner.

Maybe it would make little sense, if that was implemented.

But this is hypothetical.

For now, what does indeed make little sense, is to have two different categories and end up with the same variant winner in both.

Would it be OK if a client asked for one specific language variant and received another? Why is this OK then?

Rules cannot be changed retrospectively.

So for now, let's… congratulate two Brazilian* winners.

* Meaning speakers of Brazilian Portuguese. I only focus on language here, not nationality/country of origin.

[Edited at 2021-09-10 15:12 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Iris Schmerda
Rui Domingues
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:46
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I am curious too Sep 10, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

It may be interesting to know why Portuguese has received this different treatment. Is it because of more important differences between these two variants?

Please let us know.

Jean Dimitriadis
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's meet the winners of "Game on"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »