Lioba Multer
Lioba Multer  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 02:42
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
money scam Dec 19, 2011

Dear Everyone:

I was aware of this being a potential scam. I just wanted to see how far he would take it. He sent me fake money orders as well, which are in the hands of the police now. I sent him the police report back as a receipt.

Lioba Multer

Kordula Coleman
Kordula Coleman
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 04:42
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
another red flag Dec 20, 2011

I want to add another thing that can alert targeted translators:
While I was in the middle of translating the second text, and asked questions about certain terms in the Proz-forum, I noticed that another translator was asking a lot of the same questions, and was even quoting the same texts. This seemed, of course, very strange to me, but since I was almost done with the job, I decided to ignore it, finish up, and concentrate on getting paid.
This other translator was obviously anoth
... See more
I want to add another thing that can alert targeted translators:
While I was in the middle of translating the second text, and asked questions about certain terms in the Proz-forum, I noticed that another translator was asking a lot of the same questions, and was even quoting the same texts. This seemed, of course, very strange to me, but since I was almost done with the job, I decided to ignore it, finish up, and concentrate on getting paid.
This other translator was obviously another fraud victim; I have e-mailed him/her about my discovery and added a link to this forum discussion, but have not heard back.
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 05:42
عضو (2011)
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
So many scams and companies not paying... Dec 20, 2011

lmulter wrote:

Dear Everyone:

I was aware of this being a potential scam. I just wanted to see how far he would take it. He sent me fake money orders as well, which are in the hands of the police now. I sent him the police report back as a receipt.

Lioba Multer

Dear Imulter,

I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathy.

Marina Steinbach

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
الولايات المتحدة
روماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
the ” German Connection” Dec 20, 2011

Scam only exists because there are people who respond to it. Replying is the worst you can do... Do not fall for it !

Did any of the 6 victims (EN DE) that posted here connect the dots ?
This scam was on this forum for some time.

"My name is Stephen Robinson from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt
I actually need to make a presentation to some Spanish group on 7th of Dec,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the pr
... See more
Scam only exists because there are people who respond to it. Replying is the worst you can do... Do not fall for it !

Did any of the 6 victims (EN DE) that posted here connect the dots ?
This scam was on this forum for some time.

"My name is Stephen Robinson from Gordon,GA,am presently on business trip here in cairo,Egypt
I actually need to make a presentation to some Spanish group on 7th of Dec,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Spanish,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Dec 4th,2011.
Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word.Presentation is attached.
Thank you.
Dr Stephen "
... he has an expanded audience; now, Moldovan

I actually need to make a presentation to some Moldovan group on 28th of Nov,2011 in Honolulu,Hawaii.Therefore i need you translate the presentation to Moldovan,so each participants can have a copy and they can follow through.I will also need the work be delivered by/before Nov 25th,2011.

Let me know your rate and charges for a total of presentation of word.Presentation is attached.
Thank you.
Dr Stephen
0020149733728"

Maybe this will help : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53344051/How_to_Dodge_Translation_Scams.ppt

It is a 32 ppt. about scams that target our community !

[Edited at 2011-12-20 03:04 GMT]
Collapse

hnoronha
hnoronha  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Fell for it too :-(. REPORT THIS GUY!!! Dec 24, 2011

Hi everyone (especially those who fell for the scam),
I received the same message and fell for it because I am not at this site often. So we ended up doing 2 translations into German for nothing. The guy (a Richard Taylor) - same email - actually hassled me to send the invoice - and then sent me a UPS Tracking number for the payment. This was intercepted by some agency and the package ended up at some Fraud Unit in Louisville Kentucky. Anyway, I would entreat all you you to PLEASE report t
... See more
Hi everyone (especially those who fell for the scam),
I received the same message and fell for it because I am not at this site often. So we ended up doing 2 translations into German for nothing. The guy (a Richard Taylor) - same email - actually hassled me to send the invoice - and then sent me a UPS Tracking number for the payment. This was intercepted by some agency and the package ended up at some Fraud Unit in Louisville Kentucky. Anyway, I would entreat all you you to PLEASE report this scam. I just went to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) and reported the scam there and said they would find more victims here. If several of us go and report it and also give them the IP address/es the emails were sent from, that might help the IC3 track these guys. I have even asked proz support to somehow centralize this kind of scamming so anyone can check with one click what scams are occurring in our community.

I just lost about 450 EUR I paid my best translator for doing this crap. Future recipients os this email or a similar one might want to consider reporting this scam to the IC3 while it is ongoing. That might really help track the culprits.

SO IF YOU WERE VICTIMIZED, PLEASE REPORT the SCAM at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Thanks

Hildreth Noronha

[Edited at 2011-12-24 23:40 GMT]
Collapse

Corinna Jones
Corinna Jones  Identity Verified
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Got Lucky! Jan 13, 2012

This is what I got:
"Greetings!

I'm Ray Morgan from Atlanta,Georgia and i'll be leaving here
in Atlanta for the United Kingdom on a business visit
immediately after the holidays.However,I will need your
service to translate some documents for me.I need to make a
presentation to some groups of german speaking people in
Munich,Germany on the 8th of February,2012.I will need you
to help me translate the papers from English to German,so
ea
... See more
This is what I got:
"Greetings!

each of my audience can have a copy in german language and
they can follow through.I will also need that the work be
delivered by February 4,2012.Please,let me know your rate
for a total of about 4626 words presentation and your
methods of payment for clients within the country.I look
forward to hearing back from you soon.Happy Holidays!

Best Regards,
Ray
678-701-9193
+447031898509"

Luckily I'm currently proofreading a book, and didn't start yet.
Also, I asked for 25% in advance, because I had a non-payment from a company in London last year.
He didn't seem to mind, but when I got two money orders for a total of $1970 instead of my $120 I was sceptical and took the money orders to my credit union this morning. I was set not to start unless they were good. They came from a non-existing (Google maps) residential address from his "associate in Illinois" by USPS. There was no return address on the envelope and my address was handwritten.
Turns out they were good color copies. According to Money Gram one was for $36 in mid-December, the other for $100 around the same time.
My local police department told me that there is nothing they could do about it - especially since I didn't start and no damage was done.

Hopefully noone else get hurt by this crook.
Corinna in Michigan
Collapse

Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 10:42
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
I just do not understand how they expect to get some money out of it Jan 14, 2012

so they send you the money order and you cannot get the money as they are fake, right>

but then how do the scammers get any money out of it?

because they want you to sent them money anyway? By Western Union? But how? If the money orders were fake because their details were fake, so how can that work out? I do not get it.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
الولايات المتحدة
روماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
@ Helena, Jan 14, 2012

It is very simple: they play the numbers. If they send 10 fake checks and only one gets ”cashed” by a bank or ”get cash window”, they make a profit.
I mentined earlier last year that I translated an Indictment where the crooks were able to swindle over 6 milion USD, using this MO (modus operandi) ! Plenty of money to print good counterfeit checks !

Best,
Lee

Monika Sommerfeld
Monika Sommerfeld  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
عضو (2009)
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
بادئ الموضوع
They are counting on their counterfeit money passing for real money Jan 14, 2012

Helena Grahn wrote:

so they send you the money order and you cannot get the money as they are fake, right>

but then how do the scammers get any money out of it?

because they want you to sent them money anyway? By Western Union? But how? If the money orders were fake because their details were fake, so how can that work out? I do not get it.

Some bank clerks don't always recognize counterfeit money orders for what they are. They accept the checks and pay the "money" into their customer's account. Sometime within the following couple of weeks the banks realize their mistake and pull the money out of your account again. I think that's part of your bank's terms and condition: that they reserve the right to withdraw any bad checks within a certain number of days. By then, however, you will already have forwarded your own, good, money on via Western Union, never to be seen again.

xderekskix (X)
xderekskix (X)
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
Played these guys hard Jan 23, 2012

I was into doing the translation, but I figured I'd research the name and such after he agreed to a high-ball price for the translation. It also made no sense as to why he was from Georgia and listed a +44 number. Once I looked up his GA number and saw plenty of people had been scammed, I knew what I was in for, but didn't quite get how the scam could ever make him money...

Then the 3 $985 money grams showed up when he was supposed to pay me $602. Damn you, Rita Jones! But, being
... See more
I was into doing the translation, but I figured I'd research the name and such after he agreed to a high-ball price for the translation. It also made no sense as to why he was from Georgia and listed a +44 number. Once I looked up his GA number and saw plenty of people had been scammed, I knew what I was in for, but didn't quite get how the scam could ever make him money...

Then the 3 $985 money grams showed up when he was supposed to pay me $602. Damn you, Rita Jones! But, being that 30 minutes after my first reply I knew it was fraud, and I've always wanted to receive these checks to frame as a funny trophy, I played along.

Got the checks, told him that I didn't want to cash them before I did the translation, because I'd feel like I was scamming him. Then he said he needed that money sent ASAP to his Spanish translator in Ireland named Jimmy Yekinni. What Irishman has the name Yekinni and knows spanish anyways? So I told him I sent it, but lost the receipt and accidentally put Ray Morgan as the recipient. He told me I needed a psychiatrist. I sent him 3 or 4 emails written poorly like he wrote his giving him fake Western Union info before I told him I never sent anything and I was lying to him. This was his reply:

- Fuck u...Shitty Pig! Your loss,cos i made u work for nothing...Asshole! -

How did I work? How am I at a loss? I'll never know. I know I got a good kick out of this entire process, and he got super excited about receiving 2280 Euros. To any of you who lost money, I'm sorry. I'm willing to go and beat him to death if anyone finds a whereabouts.
Collapse

Monika Sommerfeld
الولايات المتحدة
عضو (2009)
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
بادئ الموضوع
Glad you had fun! Jan 23, 2012

xderekskix wrote:

I know I got a good kick out of this entire process, and he got super excited about receiving 2280 Euros. To any of you who lost money, I'm sorry. I'm willing to go and beat him to death if anyone finds a whereabouts.

I'm glad at least someone had the balls to turn the table on them and play them instead! My husband wanted me to do exactly that, but I admit I didn't have the nerves to keep the conversation going once I knew I had been framed. The bad language is a classic!

Thanks for posting, xderekskix, you just made my day!

Interlingual11
Interlingual11
Local time: 03:42
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Same thing happened to me! Wonderful... Feb 14, 2012

[quote]Corinna Jones wrote:

This is what I got:
"Greetings!

each of my audience can have a copy in german language and
they can follow through.I will also need that the work be
delivered by February 4,2012.Please,let me know your rate
for a total of about 4626 words presentation and your
methods of payment for clients within the country.I look
forward to hearing back from you soon.Happy Holidays!

Best Regards,
Ray
678-701-9193
+447031898509"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am so glad I haven't started yet!!!

I received exactly the same email except that his name was Alan Cox. What a shame!!! This is horrible! I will report him!

sylkec
sylkec
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
I scammed the scammer Feb 17, 2012

Monika Sommerfeld wrote:

"Greetings!

I'm (common English name) from Atlanta,Georgia and i'll be
leaving here in Atlanta for the United Kingdom on a business
trip tomorrow.However,I will need your service to translate
some documents for me.I need to make a presentation to some
groups of german speaking people in Munich,Germany on 17th
of November,2011.I will need you to help me translate the
papers from English to German,so each of my audience can
have a copy in german language and they can follow through.I
will also need that the work be delivered by/before November
15,2011.Please,let me know your rate for a total of about
4626 words presentation and your methods of payment.I look
forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best Regards,
(common English name's nickname)
678-701-9193
+447031898509"

This came from someone who contacted me through ProZ.com.

Please everyone beware if you get an e-mail like this. It turned out to be another classical over-payment scheme. Instead of the agreed price, they sent me two postal money orders totaling almost four times the quoted price and wanted me to forward the remaining money on via Western Union. The postal money orders turned out to be forged, and the matter is now being investigated by the police.

Is there a forum or database on ProZ.com where all these scams are collected? I do realize that these people were clever, but if they become lazy and use the exact same phrases more than once on several people, it might be worth collecting these messages somewhere.

Monika Sommerfeld

Monika Sommerfeld
الولايات المتحدة
عضو (2009)
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
بادئ الموضوع
How? Feb 17, 2012

sylkec wrote:

I scammed the scammer

Please share - you've made me curious!

Eleonore Wapler
Eleonore Wapler  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 10:42
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
another one Feb 18, 2012

I did receive something similar a few weeks ago - I am based in Edinburgh in the UK.
I just spotted the scam when they talked about over payment etc and said I would warn the police if I received any further emails from them. I didn't hear from them again but a few days later I received some *probably fake* travelers cheques through the post.
I still have them somewhere actually, didn't do anything about them. I haven't warned the police because I don't know what they could do hones
... See more
I did receive something similar a few weeks ago - I am based in Edinburgh in the UK.
I just spotted the scam when they talked about over payment etc and said I would warn the police if I received any further emails from them. I didn't hear from them again but a few days later I received some *probably fake* travelers cheques through the post.
I still have them somewhere actually, didn't do anything about them. I haven't warned the police because I don't know what they could do honestly.

Ok next time I get a scammer I'll go all the way to Saint Leonards police station in Edinburgh, where I occasionnally interpret, and put them on the case.
Collapse

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another over-payment scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »