Translation requests of EU-documents "EU Handbook on Pig Production" and/or "EU Pig Meat Sector"
Thread poster: Sophia Heinemann (X)
Sophia Heinemann (X)
Sophia Heinemann (X)
Germany
Local time: 22:31
English to German
+ ...
Jun 11, 2021

I recently got sent a very short request from someone (I won't include the name) asking if I was available for some translation (EN - GE) and to please send costs and turn around time. Pro Z added the information that this person didn't have a Pro Z account or wasn't logged in when they sent this email. When I answered what it was about, they immediately sent me the document. It were the two documents as mentioned in the title of this post. I was confused as to why someone would want a very long... See more
I recently got sent a very short request from someone (I won't include the name) asking if I was available for some translation (EN - GE) and to please send costs and turn around time. Pro Z added the information that this person didn't have a Pro Z account or wasn't logged in when they sent this email. When I answered what it was about, they immediately sent me the document. It were the two documents as mentioned in the title of this post. I was confused as to why someone would want a very long governmental text from the European Parliament on pig farming translated by a freelancer on Pro Z, so I asked many questions on who I'm actually talking to, what they need this for, why one of the documents had its URLs completely messed up, not included in the text anymore and partially written on top of each other, etc. They replied by answering things I didn't ask for or saying that this had the "purpose to read and understand", but they stayed really short and avoided most of my questions. However, I got a name, a Seattle address and a phone number.
Being a skeptical already, I searched and found the documents easy accessible online. I anyway sent them a down payment invoice, my prices and turnaround time, since this would have been a huge project. Also, they got a lot of questions from me again (e.g. why they cut off the end disclaimer there was in one of the documents saying that any commercial translation of this document had to be priorly permitted by the European parliament. Also I asked if they would adhere to these conditions). They answered by asking me if I could confirm my details they listed again (name, address, bank details, email address, etc.) without answering any of the questions. I got confused and didn't confirm anything, instead I tried to reach them on the phone, but the number was of course invalid. So I asked them in another email to finally answer to all the questions I asked, since I can't work for them if communication runs so poorly. They replied answering ONE of the questions. This is where I finally decided to dump this. One day later I got an email from another person sending me the exact same request as the person before - "EU Handbook on Pig Production".
I now know this must be a scam. Nevertheless I don't know what its purpose is. I suppose it could be trying to get something translated without paying (which I avoided by sending them a down payment invoice) or getting people's data (which would be a little too much effort in this case) or getting someone to illegally translate an official governmental document and sue them afterwards or something. I don't know if that would be possible anyway.
I hope this helps preventing someone from actually starting to work for these scammers.
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sophia Jun 11, 2021

Usually, what follows is a fraudulent cheque of an amount in excess of the invoice amount. They will say that this was a mistake made by their associate, secretary, accounts department or whatever and they’ll ask you to send back the difference and inevitably the cheque will bounce...

[Edited at 2021-06-11 11:38 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Philippe Etienne
Aline Amorim
Liviu-Lee Roth
Philip Lees

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Overpayment scam Jun 11, 2021

This has all the elements of a classic overpayment scam.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 16:31
Romanian to English
+ ...
Did you ever read the Scam section before? Jun 11, 2021

Sophia Heinemann wrote:

I recently got sent a very short request from someone (I won't include the name) asking if I was available for some translation (EN - GE) and to please send costs and turn around time. Pro Z added the information that this person didn't have a Pro Z account or wasn't logged in when they sent this email. When I answered what it was about, they immediately sent me the document. It were the two documents as mentioned in the title of this post. I was confused as to why someone would want a very long governmental text from the European Parliament on pig farming translated by a freelancer on Pro Z, so I asked many questions on who I'm actually talking to, what they need this for, why one of the documents had its URLs completely messed up, not included in the text anymore and partially written on top of each other, etc. They replied by answering things I didn't ask for or saying that this had the "purpose to read and understand", but they stayed really short and avoided most of my questions. However, I got a name, a Seattle address and a phone number.
Being a skeptical already, I searched and found the documents easy accessible online. I anyway sent them a down payment invoice, my prices and turnaround time, since this would have been a huge project. Also, they got a lot of questions from me again (e.g. why they cut off the end disclaimer there was in one of the documents saying that any commercial translation of this document had to be priorly permitted by the European parliament. Also I asked if they would adhere to these conditions). They answered by asking me if I could confirm my details they listed again (name, address, bank details, email address, etc.) without answering any of the questions. I got confused and didn't confirm anything, instead I tried to reach them on the phone, but the number was of course invalid. So I asked them in another email to finally answer to all the questions I asked, since I can't work for them if communication runs so poorly. They replied answering ONE of the questions. This is where I finally decided to dump this. One day later I got an email from another person sending me the exact same request as the person before - "EU Handbook on Pig Production".
I now know this must be a scam. Nevertheless I don't know what its purpose is. I suppose it could be trying to get something translated without paying (which I avoided by sending them a down payment invoice) or getting people's data (which would be a little too much effort in this case) or getting someone to illegally translate an official governmental document and sue them afterwards or something. I don't know if that would be possible anyway.
I hope this helps preventing someone from actually starting to work for these scammers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation requests of EU-documents "EU Handbook on Pig Production" and/or "EU Pig Meat Sector"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »