Adam, MA Trans
Adam, MA Trans
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:32
French to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2021

Hi everyone,

A potential client would like me to proofread a book they are writing in English (approximately 130,000 words).

They speak native Mandarin. However, their English is impeccable (having lived in the UK for many years).

I would like to charge per word, rather than by the hour. Is this customary for such a project? In addition, would it be unreasonable to ask for a very small percentage in royalties once the book is published? Please excuse my ig
... See more
Hi everyone,

A potential client would like me to proofread a book they are writing in English (approximately 130,000 words).

They speak native Mandarin. However, their English is impeccable (having lived in the UK for many years).

I would like to charge per word, rather than by the hour. Is this customary for such a project? In addition, would it be unreasonable to ask for a very small percentage in royalties once the book is published? Please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Thank you,
Adam
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Payment conventions of proofreading a book for publication

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »