The University of Salford considers closing down the Department of Italian

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The University of Salford considers closing down the Department of Italian".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 11:45
イタリア語 から 英語
Donations requested Apr 27, 2012

Having "signed" this petition, I was taken to a page requesting donations to ipetitions, with a range of figures to select, from $2 upwards and preset at $25.
I selected $2 and continued, in the hope that there would be an option to change the figure before committing to payment.
There wasn't. So I didn't continue but, from the e-mail acknowledgement, it appears my vote has been registered anyway.

[Edited at 2012-04-27 16:27 GMT]

Sarah Puchner
Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:45
フランス語 から 英語
I signed Apr 27, 2012

I graduated from Salford in 1988 and am a firm believer in the strength of the Modern Languages program there. I signed the petition. Thanks, Diana, for flagging the story.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
英国
ヘブライ語 から 英語
The real tragedy is it's not an isolated phenomenon....GOING, GOING, GONE. Apr 27, 2012

It's happening in Humanities & Languages departments in universities up and down the country. The year I left my university they had begun a process to phase out French & German (and had restricted/cut the Language Programme teaching a range of other languages as electives). I think Spanish is gone now too (or on its way).

Not to worry, all the money is being redirected into the Law department, as they have numbers (that's just what this country needs, more lawyers)...*sarcasm*.
<
... See more
It's happening in Humanities & Languages departments in universities up and down the country. The year I left my university they had begun a process to phase out French & German (and had restricted/cut the Language Programme teaching a range of other languages as electives). I think Spanish is gone now too (or on its way).

Not to worry, all the money is being redirected into the Law department, as they have numbers (that's just what this country needs, more lawyers)...*sarcasm*.

[Edited at 2012-04-27 17:20 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
スペイン
Local time: 12:45
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Beggars belief Apr 28, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Words fail me (in several languages). Sometimes ignorance is definitely not bliss.

Ty Kendall
英国
ヘブライ語 から 英語
Deaf ears Apr 28, 2012

It's astounding that this has been going on for so long, and yet the situation only continues to get worse.

This article from 2002:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2002/nov/05/highereducation.modernlanguages

...mentions the closing down of Glamorgan University's Modern Foreign Language Department...in an already well-estab
... See more
It's astounding that this has been going on for so long, and yet the situation only continues to get worse.

This article from 2002:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2002/nov/05/highereducation.modernlanguages

...mentions the closing down of Glamorgan University's Modern Foreign Language Department...in an already well-established trend.

This article from 2009 (five years later):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/jun/11/universities-language-departments-close

...mentions the same situation for two more universities, the University of the West of England and Queen's University Belfast.

It's beyond embarrassing, it's a national disgrace.
Collapse

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
フランス語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Unfortunately this is true Apr 28, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

It's happening in Humanities & Languages departments in universities up and down the country.

A similar trend has been showing up in France for a few years now, especially (but not only) for Italian. Teaching posts are being cut down and rumor has it that Italian will just disappear everywhere, with Paris as the only exception. These are very hard times.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
フランス語 から 英語
Actually... Apr 28, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Ha, ha!
Actually,the scale of this is new, but the facts are not. In 1984 when I graduated, Law was a "sure" option. When I left the UK to live in France, friends who were associates in firms and who had even had junior partnership offers, were looking for jobs by 1991.
Nothing is EVER sure...

Ty Kendall
英国
ヘブライ語 から 英語
It doesn't stop the tide though..... Apr 28, 2012

The belief that law will lead to a more lucrative career ensures that Law courses always have a healthy to overflowing number of students (even if that belief is unfounded).

...and as far as universities are concerned, student numbers = money, and it's ALL about money nowadays, so their departments are given priority.

It's also not helped by the fact that some minority ethnic groups here knowingly "encourage" their offspring into law/medicine based purely on $$$ (and pr
... See more
The belief that law will lead to a more lucrative career ensures that Law courses always have a healthy to overflowing number of students (even if that belief is unfounded).

...and as far as universities are concerned, student numbers = money, and it's ALL about money nowadays, so their departments are given priority.

It's also not helped by the fact that some minority ethnic groups here knowingly "encourage" their offspring into law/medicine based purely on $$$ (and presumed "prestige" - languages lack this "prestige").
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
英国
ポルトガル語 から 英語
+ ...
It looks like Apr 30, 2012

they have also closed down the Portuguese department. Seems like a logical solution when you spend £130k on a new useless logo, doesn't it??

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
英国
ポルトガル語 から 英語
+ ...
http://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=944 Apr 30, 2012

Salford Star recently revealed that the University will be paying Peel Media over £20million in rent for its new campus at MediaCityUK, on top of over £30million fit out costs (see here and here).

The University has announced that 218 jobs will be affected in all departments to save £7million, on top of 150 job cuts over the last few years.

"We want to know why so many millions of pounds have been spent on what so far looks like a giant white elephant" says UCU regio
... See more
Salford Star recently revealed that the University will be paying Peel Media over £20million in rent for its new campus at MediaCityUK, on top of over £30million fit out costs (see here and here).

The University has announced that 218 jobs will be affected in all departments to save £7million, on top of 150 job cuts over the last few years.

"We want to know why so many millions of pounds have been spent on what so far looks like a giant white elephant" says UCU regional official, Martyn Moss "The MediaCityUK project was supposed to reinvigorate the area and provide thousands of jobs. However, so far we have seen 150 staff at Salford University go in an effort to raise funds to invest in the venture and now another 218 are set to follow them out of the door.

"Getting rid of staff, who provide much-needed personal contact, advice and support for students, will do nothing for the university's reputation in this difficult and uncertain time of huge fees rises" he adds "The university is acting with indecent haste in its efforts to axe staff. It needs to think again and we will be doing our utmost to ensure it does. We certainly cannot rule out strike action."
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The University of Salford considers closing down the Department of Italian

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »