Thread poster: Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
Local time: 06:31
English
Feb 7, 2006

Hello forum goers,

We will be converting this forum to using Unciode as the default character set some time

later today. There won't be any need to change your browser's default encoding, it

should recognize the page's character set automatically once the conversion takes place.

Once this is done, you will notice that older posts may not currently be legible. If you

view these posts you will see a link reading "Is the text in th
... See more
Hello forum goers,

We will be converting this forum to using Unciode as the default character set some time

later today. There won't be any need to change your browser's default encoding, it

should recognize the page's character set automatically once the conversion takes place.

Once this is done, you will notice that older posts may not currently be legible. If you

view these posts you will see a link reading "Is the text in this post garbled? Click

here", or an icon of a speech bubble containing a question mark. Clicking either of

these will bring you to a dailgue that will ask you a few questions to determine how to

convert that post into Unicode.

For more information on Unicode, see the recently revised Character Set and Localization

FAQ:

http://www.proz.com/faq/localization

For more information on the conversion tool see the about page:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=charset_issues

If there is anything else that is not fully explained, please let me know.

Andrew Wright
Site Staff
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks, Andrew Feb 7, 2006

Looking forward to it!

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Hi Andrew, Feb 7, 2006

This is a good news.
With the present structure coverting texts will take longer. The system is set up to have someone see (probably a staff or a moderator) that over. And it is a good amount of work for limited number of people.

I think members will be able to confirm the conversion or new version (unicode text). This will speed up. Am I wrong?

Just an ıdea...
Regards,
N. Yiğit

[Edited at 2006-02-07 21:26]

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Now I can read every language but my own :D Feb 8, 2006

Andrew,

At the moment the whole forum is garbled. (You don't need to read Turkish, just click any message, you'll notice the high frequency of question marks. They are all supposed to be diacritical characters.)

My first question -and I'm asking them all here for the benefit of everyone- are we supposed to do all correction manually? I hope not. As far as I understand, we'll provide some guidance through our support tickets (clicking on the links at the bottom of mess
... See more
Andrew,

At the moment the whole forum is garbled. (You don't need to read Turkish, just click any message, you'll notice the high frequency of question marks. They are all supposed to be diacritical characters.)

My first question -and I'm asking them all here for the benefit of everyone- are we supposed to do all correction manually? I hope not. As far as I understand, we'll provide some guidance through our support tickets (clicking on the links at the bottom of messages), and then you'll know what to do to correct everything at one click. Is that right?

Secondly, when I click a link at the bottom of the message, I am taken to a page where I am supposed to choose the right character set. There are 3 of them: ISO, Windows and IBM. The first two are always correct, the last is always empty (no text in the boxes). Does it matter which one of the first two (ISO and Windows) we choose?

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards,
Özden
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
This is to see whether new input TR text displays right (edit: it does!) Feb 8, 2006

Bu arada Nizam'ın sorduğu soruya ben cevap vereyim:

Her mesajın altında Is the text in this post garbled? Click here diye bir link var. Mesajdaki karakterler bozuk görünüyorsa o linke tıklamak gerekiyor. Açılan sayfada önce metnin Türkçe olup olmadığını doğruluyoruz. Bunu yaptıktan sonra aynı mesaj -veya bir bölümü- üç ayrı kodlamayla karşımıza çıkıyor. Doğru olanı seçince o forum mesajının görüntüsünü de düzeltmiş o
... See more

Her mesajın altında Is the text in this post garbled? Click here diye bir link var. Mesajdaki karakterler bozuk görünüyorsa o linke tıklamak gerekiyor. Açılan sayfada önce metnin Türkçe olup olmadığını doğruluyoruz. Bunu yaptıktan sonra aynı mesaj -veya bir bölümü- üç ayrı kodlamayla karşımıza çıkıyor. Doğru olanı seçince o forum mesajının görüntüsünü de düzeltmiş oluyoruz.
Bu ve bir sonraki paragrafta verilen bilgiler değişti. Bkz. aşağıdaki şu mesaj.

Konu başlıklarının yanında ise karikatürlerdeki konuşma balonlarını andıran iki ufak ikon var. Zaten fareyi üstüne götürünce ne olduğu görülüyor, ama başlıkta herhangi bir sorun yoksa üstünde X işareti bulunan ikona basıyoruz. Henüz sorunsuz başlık görmediğim için ona basınca ne çıkıyor, bilmiyorum. Ama sorun varsa ötekine -galiba minicik bir gri ok var üstünde- basıyoruz ve yukarıdaki adımların aynısı tekrarlanıyor.

Yani evet, bu sürece hepimiz yardımcı olabiliriz. Ama iş yukarıda sorduğum sorunun cevabına kalıyor tabii, eğer hepsini tek tek elle düzeltmekten başka çare yoksa, yol yakınken bu Ünikod macerasından dönsek mi ne, diyeceğim!

Ha, bu arada, forum ana sayfasında başlıklar da, bizim isimlerimiz de bozuk görünüyor. Yani hem bu sayfayı hem de şu sayfayı kastediyorum. Birincisiyle ilgili olarak şu anda yapılabilecek bir şey yok, ancak bütün site Ünikod'a geçince düzelecek onlar. İkincisi ise anladığım kadarıyla mesaj başlıklarını içeriden düzelttikçe düzelecek.

Bir şey daha
Eğer bir mesajın altında "Is the text garbled?" vb linkini ve mesajın konu başlığında (yani thread içindeki ilk mesajın başlığında) konuşma balonuna benzer ikonları görmüyorsanız, o mesajın kodlaması bir başkası tarafından düzeltilmiş demektir. Ama bunlar görünmediği halde mesajın kodlaması da bozuksa, işte o zaman ne yapacağımızı valla bilmiyorum, herhalde Support Ticket vermek gerekecektir.

[Edited at 2006-02-10 05:45]
Collapse

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Some answers Feb 8, 2006

Xola wrote:
My first question -and I'm asking them all here for the benefit of everyone- are we supposed to do all correction manually? I hope not. As far as I understand, we'll provide some guidance through our support tickets (clicking on the links at the bottom of messages), and then you'll know what to do to correct everything at one click. Is that right?

This will not be the case in a little bit. Yesterday I wrote a script to automatically convert for languages that are almost entirely a single character set. I'll enable this for Turkish in just a little bit. This way only the infrequent will need manual conversion.

Secondly, when I click a link at the bottom of the message, I am taken to a page where I am supposed to choose the right character set. There are 3 of them: ISO, Windows and IBM. The first two are always correct, the last is always empty (no text in the boxes). Does it matter which one of the first two (ISO and Windows) we choose?

If two of the encodings come up with indentical conversions than you can chose either one. Once it's in Unicode it doesn't matter how it got there.

Andrew Wright

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Teşekkürler Feb 8, 2006

I mean, Thank you

Especially the answer to the first question has been a relief!

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
OK, turned on Feb 8, 2006

I turned on the auto-converter, let me know if anything is showing up all weird or anything.

Andrew Wright

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
All look fine now Feb 8, 2006

I've checked the first three forum pages, also 4-5 thread messages at random. Everything seems back to normal. If we spot something later, we'll sure notify you

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
It has already been solwed. Feb 8, 2006

Xola wrote:

Her mesajın altında Is the text in this post garbled? Click here diye bir link var. Mesajdaki karakterler bozuk görünüyorsa o linke tıklamak gerekiyor. Açılan sayfada önce metnin Türkçe olup olmadığını doğruluyoruz. Bunu yaptıktan sonra aynı mesaj -veya bir bölümü- üç ayrı kodlamayla karşımıza çıkıyor. Doğru olanı seçince o forum mesajının görüntüsünü de düzeltmiş oluyoruz.

Konu başlıklarının yanında ise karikatürlerdeki konuşma balonlarını andıran iki ufak ikon var. Zaten fareyi üstüne götürünce ne olduğu görülüyor, ama başlıkta herhangi bir sorun yoksa üstünde X işareti bulunan ikona basıyoruz. Henüz sorunsuz başlık görmediğim için ona basınca ne çıkıyor, bilmiyorum. Ama sorun varsa ötekine -galiba minicik bir gri ok var üstünde- basıyoruz ve yukarıdaki adımların aynısı tekrarlanıyor.

Yani evet, bu sürece hepimiz yardımcı olabiliriz. Ama iş yukarıda sorduğum sorunun cevabına kalıyor tabii, eğer hepsini tek tek elle düzeltmekten başka çare yoksa, yol yakınken bu Ünikod macerasından dönsek mi ne, diyeceğim!

[Edited at 2006-02-08 13:59]

Thanks for the guidance!
I had read the "How to" of converting grabled texts. I tried to convert a few and saw the last message basically saying that some one will take a look into "the change" which you have done.

So I said it is double double this and double double that...
But after the script of Andrew, I guess, no more dicussion. It has helped to make the problem disappear.

Regards,

Nizam

Serkan Doğan
Serkan Doğan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:31
Turkish to English
+ ...
Solution Feb 8, 2006

Bende proz bağlamında pek sorun yok. Mailime gelen mesajlarda ve bazı profil isimlerinde Türkçe karakterler okunmuyor bazen, ama forum yazılarını rahatlıkla okuyabiliyorum. Ama özellikle yahoo.com konseptinde derin sorunlar yaşıyorum. Unikod yaptım, Windows yaptım düzelmedi. Browser değişikliği dahi kar etmedi. Bazen olmadık yerde garip karakterler garbling oluyor, mahçup ediyor müellifi. Var mı bu sorunun bir çaresi?

[Edited at 2006-02-08 20:49]

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Genel olarak bir sorun yok görünüyor Feb 8, 2006

Anladığım kadarıyla Türkçede bu iş kolay oldu, başka bazı forumlarda çıkan sorunları biz yaşamadık. Tabii bütün mesajlara tek tek bakmış değilim, ama eski-yeni karışık olarak rastgele baktığım konularda hiçbir sorun görmedim, bakmadıklarımda bulunması için de bir neden yok bu durumda. Yine de, eski mesajlarda herhangi bir sorun görür ve mevcut linklere basarak çözemezseniz, lütfen haber verin.

Genel bilgi olarak da, Mart sonuna kadar bütün site
... See more
Anladığım kadarıyla Türkçede bu iş kolay oldu, başka bazı forumlarda çıkan sorunları biz yaşamadık. Tabii bütün mesajlara tek tek bakmış değilim, ama eski-yeni karışık olarak rastgele baktığım konularda hiçbir sorun görmedim, bakmadıklarımda bulunması için de bir neden yok bu durumda. Yine de, eski mesajlarda herhangi bir sorun görür ve mevcut linklere basarak çözemezseniz, lütfen haber verin.

Genel bilgi olarak da, Mart sonuna kadar bütün sitenin Ünikod geçişi tamamlanacak, ama ondan sonra daha bir süre ufak tefek sorunlar çıkabilirmiş. Asıl önemli alan Kudoz tabii, orada çok daha fazla sorun çıkacağını sanıyorum, ama sonuçta herkes kendi yazısını doğru kullanabiliyor olacak. Biraz baş ağrısına değer bence
Collapse

Andrew Wright (X)
Andrew Wright (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Addition to the system Feb 9, 2006

Hello again,

Just now I've added a new feature to the system to the migration system.

At the moment what is happening in this forum is that old data is being pulled from the database but converted to unicode before it is sent to your browser for display. This is nice, because most older posts remain visible. However, the down side to this approach is that old data remains in non-unicode format in the database which means that it will not match a search if the search
... See more
Hello again,

Just now I've added a new feature to the system to the migration system.

At the moment what is happening in this forum is that old data is being pulled from the database but converted to unicode before it is sent to your browser for display. This is nice, because most older posts remain visible. However, the down side to this approach is that old data remains in non-unicode format in the database which means that it will not match a search if the search is done in unicode.

So we needed a way to tell the system that the posts that are automatically converted correctly are legible. But we also didn't want to make this process tedious for whoever was doing it.

So today I've added a link that goes next to the "Is this text garbled?" link that reads "Is the text in this post legible?". Clicking this link will use Javascript to let the conversion system that the automatic conversion was correct, but thanks to the Javascript the user won't actually have to leave the page they are viewing to do it.

If clicking on the link generates any errors on the page, please copy the error and post it in this topic or email it directly to me.

Thanks,
Andrew Wright
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Works fine Feb 9, 2006

I tried both the new link, and the search function. Apparently, the only problem was -and, I'm not sure if it really is a problem- when I used the Back and Forward buttons of my browser, the text in the search results page got corrupted: to be more accurate, the page changed encoding. But I think this is normal at this stage, as not the whole site has migrated yet.

Apart from that everything seems to work fine.

Özden Arıkan
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Kudoz Feb 19, 2006

Bildiğiniz gibi Kudoz da artık Ünikod. Fakat benim anladığım kadarıyla epeyce sorun yaşanıyor. Benim Ünikoda çevirdiğim sayfalar benden başka kimseye düzgün görünmüyor gibi bir hisse kapılmaktayım. Sorunları, mümkünse linklerle, burada ifade ederseniz sevinirim. Teşekkürler.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forum to be converting to Unicode

Translation news in Türkiye

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »