Thread poster: JohannaKa
JohannaKa
JohannaKa  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
English to German
+ ...
May 29, 2013

Hello!

I have been subtitling movies and series for more than four years now, only for one client, though. It is very convenient for e as the subtitling software is given to me by the client. Nevertheless, I want to broaden my client base. As I understand it, it would be more or less necessary to own a subtitling software. They are expensive, though, and those that are free don't seem to work very well, as to my opinion. I know that there is the possibilty to rent an EZTitles licenc
... See more
Hello!

I have been subtitling movies and series for more than four years now, only for one client, though. It is very convenient for e as the subtitling software is given to me by the client. Nevertheless, I want to broaden my client base. As I understand it, it would be more or less necessary to own a subtitling software. They are expensive, though, and those that are free don't seem to work very well, as to my opinion. I know that there is the possibilty to rent an EZTitles licence for one month. Has anyone tried it yet? Are there other suppliers that offer something similar? I don't want to buy a new software without having a new client. On the other hand, I don't want to scare potential clients off by telling them that I don't own a subtitling software.

Thanks for your opinions!

Johanna
Collapse

Margarita Díaz
Margarita Díaz  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
renting May 29, 2013

Hello, JohannaKa.

You can rent EZTitles for as long as you want, but you must pay it every month or just when you need it.

I did it and was very satisfied with the service. The technical service is fabulous and helps you when you need it.

Nice subtitling

Marga

JohannaKa
JohannaKa  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Margarita! May 30, 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to know that there is a possibility that would work, just in case of...

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:45
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Not that I know of May 30, 2013

I'd recommend using Aegisub—it's relatively simple, incredibly powerful and absolutely free. Plus, there's a module for converting SRT or SSA subtitles in EBU STL.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Renting software for subtitling

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »