Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53] >
Ten common myths about translation quality

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Ten common myths about translation quality".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 02:14
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
Your argument is rather unscientific... Jul 27, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

Do you actually believe, Giovanni, there are 600 Italian people, born and raised in Italy, who speak Polish well? I would love to meet some of them. I have actually never met anyone, in my life, perhaps one person, who spoke good Polish and was not raised in Poland, including some members of my own family. I have gone to many language seminars in my life, studied in various places, yet, I have not met too many people like that -- what are the odds that they really exist somewhere?

[Edited at 2013-07-27 14:39 GMT]

Just because you never met one, they don't exist?

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
We shifted from that... Jul 27, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

If you are not a competent writer in the target language, I see no reason why I should believe that you are a competent reader in it.

I agree with you that you should be given the chance. Why not? My argument was that a client/agency won't pick a non-native over a native because it's too risky, time-consuming and expensive.

Of course there are many incompetent native translators, but you will agree that there are far more competent native translators in a language pair than non-natives? Why should a client pick a non-native when they are thousands of linguistically competent native translators?

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:44
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The only way is client education Jul 27, 2013

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

Do you believe that no one else can translate into Italian, except the people born and raised in Italy?

Let's abandon the statistics thingy for a moment (statistics are a complicated science)...

as far as the above is concerned, my answer is no. In fact. I've already said a couple of times in this thread that I agree with you. You should be free to translate into Mongolian, if you wish to do so. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

My point was: how are you going to convince your prospective clients to pick you ahead of a native? Why should clients/agencies risk it?

The only way is client education, and as Jose has stated, one of the major objectives of this thread is precisely that.

Agencies need to be gradually weaned away from their abject dependence on natives and encouraged to develop a more comprehensive procedure for translator selection that gives weightage to a mix of requirements including high-level proficiency in source and target languages, specialization, educational background, location of the translator and a number of other metricies.

This site can help by deemphasizing the native-only condition in its job postings and translator databases by withdrawing the native-only button. Encouragingly, there is consensus on this matter among both parties of this debate, and proz.com should consider implementing this forthwith.

Of course proz.com is only a small microcosm in the vast world of translation, but we need to begin somewhere, and we can as well start here.

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
Translating is not a human right... Jul 27, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

at the age of 11-15, let's say, and got most of their education there a native translator, Mark, or someone raised in Sweden who has been living for 30 years somewhere else a native speaker of Swedish? I don't think the native category is too clear, in multilingual societies.

Most translators come from multilingual environments where the native, non-native distinction is slightly blurred -- translation is usually not a profession a person from a monolingual environment would choose, although there are exceptions, of course.

[Edited at 2013-07-27 14:29 GMT]

It's a profession.

Without going into details about particular cases that might be possible, I would just like to say that there are many other professions that might be a better choice for such people.

Having a multilingual background, as it were, is something I'm not so sure I will agree with is common among translators. Out of the translators I know, I can only think of one. Multilingual and multinational experience is common though, but that's something else. So I disagree with you.

Having said that, I think that a great interest in language and languages is one of the very important building blocks. But being a native speaker of a language, and fluent in another language are fundamental qualities.

[Edited at 2013-07-27 14:49 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I am glad, great minds think alike Jul 27, 2013

Mark Benson wrote:

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I mean, that's exactly what I was implying about your argument. Unfortunately, there was nothing you could do about it.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 21:14
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
They may exist Jul 27, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

Do you actually believe, Giovanni, there are 600 Italian people, born and raised in Italy, who speak Polish well? I would love to meet some of them. I have actually never met anyone, in my life, perhaps one person, who spoke good Polish and was not raised in Poland, including some members of my own family. I have gone to many language seminars in my life, studied in various places, yet, I have not met too many people like that -- what are the odds that they really exist somewhere?

Have you met anyone like that? Where would they have learned the language? I am not saying they don't exist, I am just wondering where they are, and how they managed to mastered this one of the hardest languages in the world.

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Of course it is not... Jul 27, 2013

Mark Benson wrote:
Translation is not a human right

Of course it is not. It is the personal fiefdom of native translators.

[Edited at 2013-07-27 14:56 GMT]

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
I can see your point... Jul 27, 2013

This site can help by deemphasizing the native-only condition in its job postings and translator databases by withdrawing the native-only button. Encouragingly, there is consensus on this matter among both parties of this debate, and proz.com should consider implementing this forthwith.

Of course proz.com is only a small microcosm in the vast world of translation, but we need to begin somewhere, and we can as well start here.

But I thought that selecting that button was up to the job poster? Don't you think that the job poster has the right to choose a native, if they wish to do so?

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
Have you been to Italy? Jul 27, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

Have you met anyone like that? Where would they have learned the language? I am not saying they don't exist, I am just wondering where they are, and how they managed to mastered this one of the hardest languages in the world.

Looking for PL>IT translators? They do exist.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 21:14
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
It depends which language pairs Jul 27, 2013

Mark Benson wrote:

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

at the age of 11-15, let's say, and got most of their education there a native translator, Mark, or someone raised in Sweden who has been living for 30 years somewhere else a native speaker of Swedish? I don't think the native category is too clear, in multilingual societies.

Most translators come from multilingual environments where the native, non-native distinction is slightly blurred -- translation is usually not a profession a person from a monolingual environment would choose, although there are exceptions, of course.

[Edited at 2013-07-27 14:29 GMT]

It's a profession.

Without going into details about particular cases that might be possible, I would just like to say that there are many other professions that might be a better choice for such people.

Having a multilingual background, as it were, is something I'm not so sure I will agree with is common among translators. Out of the translators I know, I can only think of one. Multilingual and multinational experience is common though, but that's something else. So I disagree with you.

I personally think, or rather know from my own experience, that most good translators come from multicultural backgrounds -- or at least have lived in different countries. Very few people not exposed to different languages from their early childhood become translators. It is not enough just to learn a particular language in school to be a successful translator, especially in some language pairs. There are exceptions, of course. It might be easier in the English-Swedish pair, but what about Urdu-Swedish, or Hindi-Danish?

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 09:14
Utilizator
din chineză în engleză
+ ...
Why should a client pick someone who doesn't use TRADOS, for that matter? Jul 27, 2013

Of course there are many incompetent native translators, but you will agree that there are far more competent native translators in a language pair than non-natives? Why should a client pick a non-native when they are thousands of linguistically competent native translators?

Unless there is legitimate scientific research demonstrating that, I see no reason why it should be so. It reeks of something that people believe is true because it sounds plausible, which is pretty much the definition of a myth. A myth, after all, could hardly be called one unless it has been perpetuated to some degree, usually by people who simply pass on what they have read elsewhere without trying to verify it or apply critical thinking to it.

The elephant in the room is that you have yet to define what makes a person native in a language. You give me one and I'm pretty sure that I can give you a counterexample that occurs too frequently to be dismissed as an exception. And I am quite certain that most people who insist on using a "native speaker" or "mother tongue" are using the most stringent definition possible. I have already demonstrated that this definition simply does not work for Chinese-English pairs.

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This was discussed earlier Jul 27, 2013

But I thought that selecting that button was up to the job poster? Don't you think that the job poster has the right to choose a native, if they wish to do so?

It appears you didn't read through the thread. I don't blame you though, for it has grown gargantuan.

Job posters click on it because it is there. Were it were not there, do you think many clients would demand native translators? I don't think clients have that much of an understanding of translation to know what makes a good translator or a translation. If this thread is any evidence, even translators don't seem to have any clue of this.

It is like going into a supermarket where all these unwanted goodies are tantalizingly displayed. Ninety-nine times of out hundred, you come way your shopping bags bulging with things you hardly needed and which have burned a big hole in your pocket. You bought them not because you needed them, but because you can see them before you.

Same is the case with the native-only button. It is tantalizingly displayed on the job form and job posters unthinkingly click on it, just as they click on the Trados Only button even for jobs involving the translation of scanned images, or subtitles.

[Edited at 2013-07-27 15:05 GMT]

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
Proof of the pudding... Jul 27, 2013

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Unless there is legitimate scientific research demonstrating that, I see no reason why it should be so. It reeks of something that people believe is true because it sounds plausible, which is pretty much the definition of a myth. A myth, after all, could hardly be called one unless it has been perpetuated to some degree, usually by people who simply pass on what they have read elsewhere without trying to verify it or apply critical thinking to it.

The elephant in the room is that you have yet to define what makes a person native in a language. You give me one and I'm pretty sure that I can give you a counterexample that occurs too frequently to be dismissed as an exception. And I am quite certain that most people who insist on using a "native speaker" or "mother tongue" are using the most stringent definition possible. I have already demonstrated that this definition simply does not work for Chinese-English pairs.

I can only talk about my experience... in my 20 year long career as a translator and editor, I must have checked hundreds of translations. Are you going to be surprised if I told you that 99% of non-natives' translations were useless? Of course, I might have been unlucky. Despite this, I wouldn't stop other people trying, because I'm sure there are pretty good "non-natives" out there. Also, as you say, what is nativeness?

As far as sounding as a myth, you need to educate your clients about this. But many have had their fingers burnt already. So, it might be difficult.

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

din engleză în suedeză
+ ...
Respect the topic and posters' different opinions Jul 27, 2013

Mark Benson wrote:
Translation is not a human right

Of course it is not. It is the personal fiefdom of native translators.

[Edited at 2013-07-27 14:56 GMT]

I resent the way you fail to honor the thoughts I have shared in this discussion, pretending that being right or winning has some ulterior importance.

Should the level at which you are conducting yourself here be taken as representative of the quality to be expected from a non-native translator?

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
B... Jul 27, 2013

Job posters click on it because it is there. Were it were not there, do you think many clients would demand native translators? I don't think clients have that much of an understanding of translation to know what makes a good translator or a translation. If this thread is any evidence, even translators don't seem to have any clue of this.

It is like going into a supermarket where all these unwanted goodies are tantalizingly displayed. Ninety-nine times of out hundred, you come way your shopping bags bulging with things you hardly needed and which have burned a big hole in your pocket. You bought them not because you needed them, but because you can see them before you.

Same is the case with the native-only button. It is tantalizingly displayed on the job form and job posters unthinkingly click on it, just as they click on the Trados Only button even for jobs involving the translation of scanned images, or subtitles.

[Edited at 2013-07-27 15:05 GMT]

I hope not many of your potential clients will read your comments. Nobody likes to be called stupid...

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ten common myths about translation quality

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »