Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53] >
Ten common myths about translation quality

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Ten common myths about translation quality".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 03:13
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
I deleted the previous post.. Jul 28, 2013

because I thought that, maybe, it was a bit harsh... I'm a nice guy...

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 22:13
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
Not that harsh Jul 28, 2013

compared to what is going on on the Internet, these days.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:13
Utilizator
din chineză în engleză
+ ...
Not incorrect Jul 28, 2013

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

what the pro-non-natives seem to be saying is the following:

non-natives in certain cases can produce work of higher standard than natives, especially when an International language like English is involved or in very minor language pairs.

But in other main languages (let's say FIGS), this is less likely.

Correct?

That is only a small part of the argument, but essentially correct, yes. And the variations can be very wide.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:43
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This is a general trend Jul 28, 2013

non-natives in certain cases can produce work of higher standard than natives, especially when an International language like English is involved or in very minor language pairs.

But in other main languages (let's say FIGS), this is less likely.

Correct?

This is a general trend, which could be more pronounced in the international languages like English, but is there in all languages.

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Moving further Jul 28, 2013

Now that there is a more or less consensus that non-natives producing quality translation is not such an exotic thing, we need to see what requires to be done at various levels in the translation sector to make this new understanding of translation to reflect in business processes adopted by the various stakeholders - which are translators, agencies and this site. The end clients too should ideally be included, but since in a sense they include the entire humanity, it would be too big a task for... See more
Now that there is a more or less consensus that non-natives producing quality translation is not such an exotic thing, we need to see what requires to be done at various levels in the translation sector to make this new understanding of translation to reflect in business processes adopted by the various stakeholders - which are translators, agencies and this site. The end clients too should ideally be included, but since in a sense they include the entire humanity, it would be too big a task for us.

Let us see what each of these three stakeholders would now need to do.

Translators have the easiest burden - they only need to outgrow the myth that only natives can produce quality translation and internalize the more nuanced understanding of what translation is and how high level proficiency is acquired by different people in their working languages. They can also contribute to quietly burying the myth by not doing anything to further animate it.

Agencies will have a slightly heavier burden, especially those that have in place systems that consciously exclude non-native translators, which all would have to be redesigned. They would also have to work out new metricies for identifying qualified translators as they can now no longer rely on the single-factor metric of "only native translators". Much of their legacy database accumulated using the native-only criterion will now become unusable and they would have to begin all over again to collect a new database of translators. They would also have to embark upon a massive retraining exercise for their PMs, especially the older ones with entrenched views about native is best.

And finally, this site would have to retire the native button and redesign the site around more inclusive principles that give equal opportunities to all proficient translators.

On the face of it, these can appear difficult, but most industries and businesses are continuously redefining themselves in the light of new knowledge and this exercise will only strengthen all the parties concerned in the long run.

[Edited at 2013-07-28 13:16 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Franţa
Local time: 04:13
din franceză în engleză
Er no, actually Jul 28, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Now that there is a more or less consensus that non-natives producing quality translation is not such an exotic thing, we need to see what requires to be done at various levels in the translation sector to make this new understanding of translation to reflect in business processes adopted by the various stakeholders - which are translators, agencies and this site. The end clients too should ideally be included, but since in a sense they include the entire humanity, it would be too big a task for us.

Translators have the easiest burden - they only need to outgrow the myth that only natives can produce quality translation and internalize the more nuanced understanding of what translation is and how high level proficiency is acquired by different people in their working languages. They can also contribute to quietly burying the myth by not doing anything to further animate it.

Agencies will have a slightly heavier burden, especially those that have in place systems that consciously exclude non-native translators, which all would have to be redesigned. They would also have to work out new metricies for identifying qualified translators as they can now no longer rely on the single-factor metric of "only native translators". Much of their legacy database accumulated using the native-only criterion will now become unusable and they would have to begin all over again to collect a new database of translators. They would also have to embark upon a massive retraining exercise for their PMs, especially the older ones with entrenched views about native is best.

And finally, this site would have to retire the native button and redesign the site around more inclusive principles that give equal opportunities to all proficient translators.

On the face of it, these can appear difficult, but most industries and businesses are continuously redefining themselves in the light of new knowledge and this exercise will only strengthen all the parties concerned in the long run.

Well no, I don't know that there is any consensus, if there appears to be, it's only because some have given up and those non-members whose posts have to be approved have not had any of their contributions published.

So since your initial premise is out of line, if follows that the rest can be cheerfully disregarded, as I expect it will be

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Source-based translation - an interesting case study Jul 28, 2013

I just came across an interesting case study in the proz.com knowledgebase on two different approaches to translation - source-based and target-based translation approach. The context is Japanese to English, but it highlights many of the points highlighted by Lincoln in this thread about the importance of knowing the source language as well as the target language for producing good translations. H... See more
I just came across an interesting case study in the proz.com knowledgebase on two different approaches to translation - source-based and target-based translation approach. The context is Japanese to English, but it highlights many of the points highlighted by Lincoln in this thread about the importance of knowing the source language as well as the target language for producing good translations. Here is the link:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/329/1/Source-Language-versus-Target-Language-Bias
Collapse

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Membru (2013)
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Just to add my two cents Jul 28, 2013

This does seem to have turned into a post about non-native translators, which I'd like to express my opinion on. My only experience is with German>English translations by German native speakers, but take from it what you will.

I have personal experience of a company where most of the translation is German>English or English>German. There are a few native English speaking translators working here, but as the majority are German, a lot of the into English work is done by German native
... See more
This does seem to have turned into a post about non-native translators, which I'd like to express my opinion on. My only experience is with German>English translations by German native speakers, but take from it what you will.

I have personal experience of a company where most of the translation is German>English or English>German. There are a few native English speaking translators working here, but as the majority are German, a lot of the into English work is done by German natives. Each translation into English done by a native English speaker is proofread by a German native and vice versa. While this is an effective system in theory (the German native should reflect the content nigh on perfectly and the English-native proofreader can perfect grammar/expression; the English native translator writes a good quality text in English and the German proofreader can point out anything the translator has misunderstood), it only works in practice if both linguists are very good at working into English. Many are and some of the German natives write English texts that need very few or no changes, which is also true for the English natives.

More often, however, it unfortunately leads to English natives pulling their hair out when the German proofreader for their translation changes perfect sentences into nonsense or questions good translations due to their sub par English skills. This sometimes ends up with a translation being significantly worse after proofreading than it was before and angry/frustrated emails being exchanged.

It's also fairly frequent that English natives proofread translations by Germans and spend nearly as long correcting things as they would have done if they'd just done the translation themselves.

My conclusion on the matter of translators translating into a language that is not their native is as follows: if you have an exceptional command of the target language, then this is more than acceptable and in fact can result in a more faithful rendering of the source text; if your command of the target language is lacking in any way, then you shouldn't translate into it.
Collapse

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
yes... Jul 28, 2013

Charlotte Farrell wrote:

My conclusion on the matter of translators translating into a language that is not their native is as follows: if you have an exceptional command of the target language, then this is more than acceptable and in fact can result in a more faithful rendering of the source text; if your command of the target language is lacking in any way, then you shouldn't translate into it.

but all the "non-natives" in this thread claim to be very good at it. Which is not the problem. The problem is that most non-natives are not good at it, and also quite a few of natives. I'm trying to explain that a non-native being exceptionally good is the exception, and that in general you will find a lot of very competent natives doing the job pretty well, which makes the need of non-natives redundant. My guess is that most non-natives looking for work in their passive language do so because there isn't a great demand for their active language, hence "let's all translate into English too" business...

Very minor languages is a different matter, though.

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
hold on... Jul 28, 2013

Now that there is a more or less consensus that non-natives producing quality translation is not such an exotic thing

that's just me saying it, isn't it?

Charlotte Farrell
Charlotte Farrell  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Membru (2013)
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Couldn't agree more Jul 28, 2013

Charlotte Farrell wrote:

but all the "non-natives" in this thread claim to be very good at it. Which is not the problem. The problem is that most non-natives are not good at it, and also quite a few of natives. I'm trying to explain that a non-native being exceptionally good is the exception, and that in general you will find a lot of very competent natives doing the job pretty well, which makes the need of non-natives redundant. My guess is that most non-natives looking for work in their passive language do so because there isn't a great demand for their active language, hence "let's all translate into English too" business...

Very minor languages is a different matter, though.

A non-native being very good is certainly the exception, and may even be the one that proves the rule. I would say that it is different for very unusual combinations, such as rare languages into English or any other languages, and there will be some combinations for which no native translators exist. In that case, obviously the job would have to be done by the source-native translator.

Regatul Unit
Membru (2004)
din engleză în italiană
as I said before... Jul 28, 2013

there is a reason why agencies and clients stick to the natives only principle and it's very simple: most translations done by non-natives are rubbish. There are obviously exceptions, but they are very few. This means that it's very uneconomical for agencies and clients to waste their time testing non-natives when they have thousands of very competent natives on their book. Again, even if 50% of these are rubbish at what they do, the percentage of natives doing a good job will be far higher than that of non-natives. Thus, using non-natives is impractical, uneconomical and far riskier.

As far as Proz is concerned: ask them to introduce a "near native" button. They might laugh, they might think it's a good idea. You never know...

Balasubramaniam L.
India
Membru (2006)
din engleză în hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
This is a very sensible take Jul 28, 2013

Charlotte Farrell wrote:

This is a very sensible take on this issue and I fully agree with it.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 22:13
din rusă în engleză
+ ...
They don't have to test anybody Jul 28, 2013

They just need editors who can tell them if the translation is correct or not-- something many agencies don't have.

As to the thousands of translators -- were are they in such language pairs as Polish-X, or even Russian -X, although there might be slightly more foreign-born people who speak Russian, than Polish, or Lithuanian. This does not mean, however, that they understand such a complex language as Russian well. There might be a few exceptions, of course. I learned Russian betwe
... See more
They just need editors who can tell them if the translation is correct or not-- something many agencies don't have.

As to the thousands of translators -- were are they in such language pairs as Polish-X, or even Russian -X, although there might be slightly more foreign-born people who speak Russian, than Polish, or Lithuanian. This does not mean, however, that they understand such a complex language as Russian well. There might be a few exceptions, of course. I learned Russian between the age of 3-6, and, yes I understand 99.9% of Russian (almost the same as English), including the slang, compared to about 95% of Polish, without any understanding of the contemporary slang.

I don't think there is any universal solution to this problem, but rather that each translation should be assigned on a case by case basis. I don't really a have any interest in translations being assigned to more people than they are now -- it is probably to my own disinterest. I just hate any mechanical approach to things, which unfortunately can be often seen in the case of native v. non-native translations. It is not true that native translations are better, exactly the same way as it is not true that non-native translations are better. It all depends.

[Edited at 2013-07-28 15:50 GMT]
Collapse

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ten common myths about translation quality

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »