dictionnaires (senior robert vs super senior)
Thread poster: Theodore Quester
Theodore Quester
Theodore Quester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:24
French to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2002

Je pense acheter le robert super senior (français-anglais), mais avant de l\'acheter, j\'aimerais être sur que c\'est meilleur que le robert senior.

Ou, sinon, s\'il existe un autre dico qu\'on pense franchement meilleur encore.

Merci pour l\'aide.

Theodore Quester

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
French to English
+ ...
I love it Jan 28, 2002

I bought it Theodore and don\'t regret it at all. There are a lot more terms than the standard version and I like having two separate volumes. I always liked Robert-Collins and don\'t know of a better general use bilingual French-English dictionary. In fact on my first day at university we were given a stern warning - not to buy Harraps. Funnily enough, lots of people in France seem to think it\'s the best. I personally can\'t believe how many things it gets wrong and how old-fashioned it sounds... See more
I bought it Theodore and don\'t regret it at all. There are a lot more terms than the standard version and I like having two separate volumes. I always liked Robert-Collins and don\'t know of a better general use bilingual French-English dictionary. In fact on my first day at university we were given a stern warning - not to buy Harraps. Funnily enough, lots of people in France seem to think it\'s the best. I personally can\'t believe how many things it gets wrong and how old-fashioned it sounds at times. I just wish the Robert and Collins existed in electronic form.Collapse

Andrew Cowderoy
Andrew Cowderoy
English to French
+ ...
super senior is worth it Jan 28, 2002

I\'d say the super senior is worth the extra pennies. I\'ve been using both volumes for a while and, while I can\'t say I know the other version, I do appreciate the super senior as a general use dictionary. I can also confirm the warning concerning the Harraps - one of our professors said it\'s just about good enough for standing on to get other dictionaries off a high shelf or for sitting little children.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Three cheers for the Robert & Collins Jan 28, 2002

Je ne suis vaiment pas fana du Harraps. Tout comme Colin, on nous \"vendait\" le R&C dès notre entrée en fac (1980) et nous proposait de ne plus ouvrir le Harraps. J\'ai eu l\'occasion de consulter le Harraps de temps à autre et j\'ai souvent été déçue, voire surprise. J\'en ai même ri. On y trouve des termes que l\'on ne trouve nulle part ailleurs - même pas en Angleterre. C\'est dire...

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Robert super senior ISDN? Feb 3, 2002

Could someone please post the ISDN number and publication date for the French-English version?

TIA,

Trudy

Trudy Peters
United States
German to English
+ ...
Robert super senior Feb 3, 2002

Make that ISBN number )

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Fully agree! Feb 3, 2002

It is a wonderful dictionary! Every French/English translator should have it!

Here\'s the ISBN number (at least the one on my copy): 0-00-470246-8 (that\'s the French-English volume only).

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-03 22:50 ]

Trudy Peters
United States
German to English
+ ...
Reply to Werner Feb 3, 2002

Where can you buy that? The only \"senior\" I found (199was on Amazon, and it was only one volume for both directions.

Trudy

Lilla (X)
Lilla (X)
Cheaper in Belgium! Apr 9, 2002

I do not know for those living in France, but I do know that living on the border with Belgium brings alot of advantages. So, if you get the occasion, go in a book-store in Belgium because dictionnaries are cheaper. Well, that is what I heard of.... and I bought one in a tiny book-store on the border, and everything was cheaper! May be just a stroke of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Andriy Bublikov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dictionnaires (senior robert vs super senior)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »