Does the localized versions of MS Word use the Small and Big A for increase/decrease font size?
Thread poster: Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2012

Hello all,

One of the marketing persons at the company I work for asked me if I knew of the localized versions of Microsoft use the small and big letters A for the increase and decrease font size? He was specifically wondering about languages such as Chinese, Russian or Japanese.

I was able to check Google docs myself by changing language on my browser, and they use a big and small T (for Text increase and decrease) for those 3 languages. I searched online, but so far
... See more
Hello all,

One of the marketing persons at the company I work for asked me if I knew of the localized versions of Microsoft use the small and big letters A for the increase and decrease font size? He was specifically wondering about languages such as Chinese, Russian or Japanese.

I was able to check Google docs myself by changing language on my browser, and they use a big and small T (for Text increase and decrease) for those 3 languages. I searched online, but so far I have not found the answer to this question or a website that talks about this.

Please let me know if you know of a site that can answer this question or if you happen to have the localized version of MS office and can post the answer here.

Thanks you!

Alexandra
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:54
German to Swedish
+ ...
What Oct 24, 2012

This information would be completely unreliable across platforms, languages and user installations.

"What are you really trying to do", as we programmers like to say...

(It certainly isn't true for Swedish MS Office 2009 on MacOSX...)

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-24 20:44 GMT]

Alexandra Bourne
Alexandra Bourne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification on my question Oct 24, 2012

Hi,
I am referring to the toolbar in Microsoft Word.
The icon in MS Word for increase/decrease font size shows a small and big letter A in English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese (At least, since these are the only languages I was able to check)
I am trying to find out if languages with a different alphabet such as Russian, Korean or Japanese, for example, also use the same icon.

I have been able to check Google Docs, since I can easily change the browser lan
... See more
Hi,
I am referring to the toolbar in Microsoft Word.
The icon in MS Word for increase/decrease font size shows a small and big letter A in English, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese (At least, since these are the only languages I was able to check)
I am trying to find out if languages with a different alphabet such as Russian, Korean or Japanese, for example, also use the same icon.

I have been able to check Google Docs, since I can easily change the browser language and they use a small t, and a big T for English, Russian, Japanese and Chinese.
But I am still trying to find out the icons for MS Word.

Thanks,

Alexandra
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 00:54
German to Swedish
+ ...
Well then Oct 25, 2012

The Swedish MS Office 2009 for MacOSX apps use two different "A-with-arrow" icons for increase/decrease font size.
The "small/big A" symbol is used to change text capitalization.
But there must be scores or even hundreds of versions of MS Office to check.

Whatever this information is used for (you haven't explained the why, only the what), it's fragile and probably a bad idea. It may be an accurate guess in most cases, but a user can change the icon for toolbar commands,
... See more
The Swedish MS Office 2009 for MacOSX apps use two different "A-with-arrow" icons for increase/decrease font size.
The "small/big A" symbol is used to change text capitalization.
But there must be scores or even hundreds of versions of MS Office to check.

Whatever this information is used for (you haven't explained the why, only the what), it's fragile and probably a bad idea. It may be an accurate guess in most cases, but a user can change the icon for toolbar commands, for instance.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-25 11:36 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:54
Chinese to English
It's the same in Chinese Oct 25, 2012

I have Chinese Word 2011, and the larger and smaller text icons are the same, the large and small capital A.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the localized versions of MS Word use the Small and Big A for increase/decrease font size?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »