Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:13
French to English
+ ...
Deja vu as export tables May 8, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

If not, or if buying it is not an option for you, there are other options for giving your client what he wants, but he will have to cooperate a little. Deja Vu has certain export features and the client could give you the text in a Trados presegmented format (which you could also process with Wordfast) or as a Word table.

Yes, one of my main clients uses Deja Vu and sends me word tables with two columns, one with the source text and the other empty (or occasionally with some pre-translated or fuzzy cells for me to edit). Before I had Wordfast, I simply used to enter my translations in the target column. Now I do the same, but use Wordfast to process the source text by copying the source into the target column and using red marching ants as an untranslatable attribute to retain the source text in its column. This not only means it's easier for me to edit as I have the two langauges side-by-side, but it is a simple matter for the agency to reimport the translation back into Déja Vu and create their own TM. They also have all the problems of converting the text from pdf to Word and I merely have the pure text.

Definitely an option you could suggest to your client if you'd prefer to use Wordfast....

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you really not work for customers with special requirements? May 8, 2008

You've posted this under Being Independent, which is what you are. You are not an employee. As a freelance, you offer them your services, setting out what software you use, how many words a day you translate, what your areas of expertise are, and what your rates are. It is up to them to accept or decline your terms. Personally, I would not work for an agency or client that requires a specific CAT tool, any more than I would for a client that requires I use a certain brand of computer, printer, fax or pencil.

Do you mean that if a customer requests you to translate a file using a specific branch of software (for instance, Microsoft Word 2000), you would refuse?

I am just curious.

I once met a translator who charged extra to customers who requested translations proprietary formats (like MS Word or Excel) and I was wondering if you have the same approach.

Daniel

Stephanie Sirot (X)
Stephanie Sirot (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:13
English to French
+ ...
OK if they provide the software May 15, 2008

I had an agency asking me to use a specific software. They provided me with a free download link and I was fine with it.

However, I don't believe I would buy a specific software just for one agency or one client. Unless the client/agency is a big one, gives me a lot of work and pays me great rates.

That would be very expensive to buy all the softwares simply because an agency/client asks for it. Let's say, at first they want to use Trados. You buy it, learn how to use
... See more
I had an agency asking me to use a specific software. They provided me with a free download link and I was fine with it.

However, I don't believe I would buy a specific software just for one agency or one client. Unless the client/agency is a big one, gives me a lot of work and pays me great rates.

That would be very expensive to buy all the softwares simply because an agency/client asks for it. Let's say, at first they want to use Trados. You buy it, learn how to use it. Then 6 months later they decide to move to Wordfast.

Nobody should dictate you what kind of tools to use. It is a big market, there are plenty of other agencies/potential clients out there.

Stephanie.
Collapse

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
Local time: 14:13
English to Polish
+ ...
I agree with Stephanie May 15, 2008

My first reaction was...

"ask them to provide the software"

...perhaps they would be willing to fund it or a part of it. If you don't ask you won't get. They can always say no, and indeed so can you.

However, this all depends on how valuable a client they are. How much work do you get from them? (You don't need to answer that, just think about it). How devastating would it be to your business
... See more
My first reaction was...

"ask them to provide the software"

...perhaps they would be willing to fund it or a part of it. If you don't ask you won't get. They can always say no, and indeed so can you.

However, this all depends on how valuable a client they are. How much work do you get from them? (You don't need to answer that, just think about it). How devastating would it be to your business to lose this client? What percentage of your business comes from this client? I would feel uncomfortable depending too much on one client (say >20% turnover). That would be rather like being employed

How much is the software and what proportion of your annual profit does it represent? Remember that software is tax deductible in most countries.

It depends on the numbers, and only you know how they stack up. If, for example, the software is $200 and you are currently earning $1000/month from this client, I would bite the bullet and buy it. If the numbers are much less favourable, ask them to provide it (but don't be upset if they decline). It's a business decision. Try to be guided by the numbers - at least to an extent.

Obviously we can't quantify how long it will take you to learn the new tool. Nor can we quantify what, if any, other benefits it will bring to your business. That is the element of risk. Business is risky (as is life) but those who do well are often those who assess the risks well, leaving emotion out of it. I have found that the older I get and the more I have, the less inclined I am to take risks, which kind of sucks because I used to be young and adventurous (not that I'm an old man now)

Hope this helps

Alex Eames
http://www.translatortips.com/
helping translators do better business

p.s. Another point which springs to mind is that you could increase your rates with this client to offset the cost
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Demand to get a CAT

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »