Freelance translator in the UK: private pension?
Thread poster: Marco Cafagno
Marco Cafagno
Marco Cafagno
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
May 11, 2023

Hi there,

I'm trying to make sense of what I should do for my pension as a freelance translator currently based in the UK.

Could anyone suggest what type of private pension to go for? I have absolutely no idea, I'm just reading now about personal private pension, stakeholder pensions, self-invested personal pensions etc...

I moved to the UK in 2020, and since then I haven't had a private pension, so only relying to state pension (which I'm assuming is very
... See more
Hi there,

I'm trying to make sense of what I should do for my pension as a freelance translator currently based in the UK.

Could anyone suggest what type of private pension to go for? I have absolutely no idea, I'm just reading now about personal private pension, stakeholder pensions, self-invested personal pensions etc...

I moved to the UK in 2020, and since then I haven't had a private pension, so only relying to state pension (which I'm assuming is very low).

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
IANAFinancialAdviser May 11, 2023

You should probably talk to a financial adviser about your specific circumstances, but sticking cash in an ISA is a whole lot more flexible than any pension.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Maximise May 11, 2023

Marco Cafagno wrote:

... relying to state pension (which I'm assuming is very low).

You should make the maximum permitted contributions into the state pension. It's not as low as you may think and it's increased every year. You should also buy National Insurance Years https://tinyurl.com/y4nuu2w5

As for private pensions, you should consider all you options before making a decision. One of the best places to find out is here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

A very good place to get reliable advice is pay a visit to your nearest Citizens' Advice Centre.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

ALSO if you made pension contributions in Spain, you can recover these and get them paid to you in the UK. Contact the UK Pensions Service, for advice. https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service

[Edited at 2023-05-11 21:43 GMT]

TonyTK
Agneta Pallinder

Alejandra Garcia Romero
Alejandra Garcia Romero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Private pension (SIPP) May 12, 2023

Marco Cafagno wrote:

I had the same concerns and I decided to go for a private pension (SIPP). Although the state pension is not that low, it will certainly not be enough by the time I retire.

I opened an account with Aviva (because my husband already had his pension with them) and I make regular payments every month. For every payment made, the government adds a 25% (the 25% tax relief). Choosing how and where to invest your money can be tricky, but they have ready-made funds where you can deposit your money at a lower risk.

Although you can "play" with the funds (buy or sell), I basically consider it a savings account.

Joe France

Steve Robbie
Steve Robbie
United Kingdom
Member (2017)
German to English
+ ...
Where do you want to retire? May 12, 2023

Two pieces of good advice provided so far:
- Have a look at moneysavingexpert.com
- Talk to an advisor. An advisor will explain what all the terms mean better than we can.

You probably need a SIPP, but what do I know? (I have a SIPP, but I don't know how much you want to save each year and I don't know all the options. I haven't a clue what a stakeholder pension is)

Another thing: where do you want to retire? If you're likely to leave the UK, it may not be
... See more
Two pieces of good advice provided so far:
- Have a look at moneysavingexpert.com
- Talk to an advisor. An advisor will explain what all the terms mean better than we can.

You probably need a SIPP, but what do I know? (I have a SIPP, but I don't know how much you want to save each year and I don't know all the options. I haven't a clue what a stakeholder pension is)

Another thing: where do you want to retire? If you're likely to leave the UK, it may not be wise to take Tom's advice to buy National Insurance Years. Also, the tax benefits of an ISA are specific to the UK - they might vanish if you move to another country.

[Edited at 2023-05-12 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance translator in the UK: private pension?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »