Lior Servas
Lior Servas
Israel
Local time: 19:10
English to French
+ ...
May 22, 2023

Hi,
I have been contacted to work on a consecutive interpretation project as a freelance - but I only did this kind of work in company before so I have no idea about the rates.
They asked me for a rate per day.

Here are the parameters of the project:
Interpretation during a 5 day technical training - from English to French
For up to 9 hours a day
Will involve traveling overseas (flight & accommodation taken care of by the employer, I need to check abo
... See more
Hi,
I have been contacted to work on a consecutive interpretation project as a freelance - but I only did this kind of work in company before so I have no idea about the rates.
They asked me for a rate per day.

Here are the parameters of the project:
Interpretation during a 5 day technical training - from English to French
For up to 9 hours a day
Will involve traveling overseas (flight & accommodation taken care of by the employer, I need to check about food)
I will be trained by the employer on the product beforehand (about 3 days of training)

I have experience in consecutive interpreting, but I'm also not super experienced. I am a senior translator though (I don't know if that makes a difference).
I did some research on the Internet, and saw that rates could vary between $500 to $1000 a day, I don't want to undersell myself but I don't want to ask for too much as it's my first "official" time working on such a project.
Any thoughts, advice on the rate per day, anything else I maybe didn't think about?

Thanks a lot!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 12:10
Romanian to English
+ ...
too many variables May 23, 2023

The rate depends on the pair (I understand it is EN-FR), location (a country with a lower or higher cost of living), level of experience in the specific field, competition in this language pair in the country of service.

If it is abroad, ask yourself why did they choose you and not a local interpreter considering that your pair is quite common.

Be aware that scammers usually target newly enrolled members.

The rate range you found online is the normal one. I
... See more
The rate depends on the pair (I understand it is EN-FR), location (a country with a lower or higher cost of living), level of experience in the specific field, competition in this language pair in the country of service.

If it is abroad, ask yourself why did they choose you and not a local interpreter considering that your pair is quite common.

The rate range you found online is the normal one. I would go more for $800- 1200, considering the 9 hours/day.

Good luck

[Edited at 2023-05-23 00:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-05-23 11:22 GMT]
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 11:10
English to Russian
+ ...
+1 May 25, 2023

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

It's either a scam or a fairytale. I've been flown by the clients all over the world but having a luxury of paid training for 3 days on location... With tickets sometimes at 2-3 K, hotel, per diem etc just for me, dearest? Multiply all hours involved in arranging the training, not just your hours. Definitely a fairytale. My job was to show up next morning and start working. I considered myself lucky when I had the presentations a couple of days before the flight.

Oh well, all kinds of miracles happen these days...

[Edited at 2023-05-25 12:36 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Consecutive Interpretation Rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »