Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 25, 2022

Dear colleagues,

I would like to ask for some information about editing tasks.

A client from mine asked me how many words I can process in editing EN>ES (my first language pair) per hour.

I could not take the job because I am currently busy with a huge project but I will be asked for the same thing in any moment in the future.

I started my career as a freelance translator 1 year ago. My level in English is high but not as high as one reached by
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I would like to ask for some information about editing tasks.

A client from mine asked me how many words I can process in editing EN>ES (my first language pair) per hour.

I could not take the job because I am currently busy with a huge project but I will be asked for the same thing in any moment in the future.

I started my career as a freelance translator 1 year ago. My level in English is high but not as high as one reached by a translator through years of freelance working.

I think I can process around 1,000 source words per hour in my first language pair (EN>ES) and around 800 or 900 in my second language pair (DE>ES). Is this counting possible? What about you? Should I be able to process more words hourly?

Note: I would like to know about your experiences in general terms but I have already taken part in projects for that translation agency and account and I know that the TB is almost useless because it is almost empty. In addition, I know that editing is also affected by the quality of the translation but I would like to have a word count as a reference.

Thank you and have a nice weekend.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jorge Mar 25, 2022

The number of words I can edit per hour depends mainly on the quality of the translation and this can be wildly different, but on average it will be between 1,000 and 2,500 words. Some translations are nearly perfect and others are well beyond description (I refuse these). In order to provide your client with an estimate you will need to take a good look at the translation.

Jorge Payan

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 25, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

The number of words I can edit per hour depends mainly on the quality of the translation and this can be wildly different, but on average it will be between 1,000 and 2,500 words. Some translations are nearly perfect and others are well beyond description (I refuse these). In order to provide your client with an estimate you will need to take a good look at the translation.

Thank you, Teresa, for providing me with an estimation. If I am right, you said once that you started working as a translator in the 90s, at the latest. You have got much more experience than me and due to other messages you have posted in forum threads opened by me, I know your level, at least in English, is quite higher than mine, of course.

Thank you for allowing me to figure out what a professional translator should be able to do if the quality of the translation is good enough. There is plenty of work to do and experience to acquire.

Have a nice weekend!

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
word count Mar 25, 2022

Jorge, I would advise indicating on the moderate side as you are starting out. As you accumulate more experience, your word count will grow. This depends, of course, on the text you are editing. So many agencies ask about the "proofreading rate per hour". Oftentimes, the proofreading will turn into a horror show involving not only proofing, but editing, rewriting and revision as well. Rather than quote by the hour, I quote by the word, in my case 35 % of the entire document. E.g $350 for editing... See more
Jorge, I would advise indicating on the moderate side as you are starting out. As you accumulate more experience, your word count will grow. This depends, of course, on the text you are editing. So many agencies ask about the "proofreading rate per hour". Oftentimes, the proofreading will turn into a horror show involving not only proofing, but editing, rewriting and revision as well. Rather than quote by the hour, I quote by the word, in my case 35 % of the entire document. E.g $350 for editing a 10,000 document.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count processed in editing hourly

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »