Building a portfolio as a beginner translator
Thread poster: Brittany Sanders
Brittany Sanders
Brittany Sanders  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
French to English
Nov 11, 2022

Can anyone offer tips on building a portfolio as a beginner translator? Due to copyright and confidentiality reasons, I can't post the documents I've translated. Aside from Wikipedia, are there public domain works I could translate?

FYI:
-My language pair is French to English.
-My specialties include fashion, wine, and travel.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Press releases Nov 11, 2022

Some translators feel that since press releases are meant to be published by all and sundry, it is okay to translate press releases and offer them (anonymized) in one's portfolio WITHOUT needing to get permission from the author for copyright reasons.

[Edited at 2022-11-11 07:48 GMT]

philgoddard

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Portfolio Nov 11, 2022

Brittany Sanders wrote:

Can anyone offer tips on building a portfolio as a beginner translator? Due to copyright and confidentiality reasons, I can't post the documents I've translated. Aside from Wikipedia, are there public domain works I could translate?

FYI:
-My language pair is French to English.
-My specialties include fashion, wine, and travel.

You can change a few words of your existing translations (in both languages) so that the originator of the source text cannot be identified. Additionally you can choose text samples that make it impossible to identify who wrote the original. I've done that with quite a few of the translation samples in my portfolio.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:13
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Contact web site owners Nov 11, 2022

And explain what you need. Then you may translate a passage they select and approve for you.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Brittany Nov 11, 2022

I’ve just stumbled on a Guide to Finding Public Domain Works Online. Hope this is helpful…

https://publicdomainreview.org/guide-to-finding-interesting-public-domain-works-online/

Brittany Sanders
Brittany Sanders  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Maria Nov 11, 2022

Thank you for this resource!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Building a portfolio as a beginner translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »