Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Should the "clarification" and the "discussion" areas be merged?
Автор темы: Enrique Cavalitto
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Великобритания
Local time: 18:41
французский => английский
+ ...
Yes, please merge Mar 6, 2009

I'm all in favour. I had the situation this week where I'd added clarification to my question, then an answerer added a note under request clarification, to which I then answered, but the last two were moved by a moderator to discussion. Whilst I could see that they had become more of a discussion and less clarification, they did relate to the initial comment and moving them was overzealous in my view - not to mention confusing! By all means add a separate context box for the asker to provide mo... See more
I'm all in favour. I had the situation this week where I'd added clarification to my question, then an answerer added a note under request clarification, to which I then answered, but the last two were moved by a moderator to discussion. Whilst I could see that they had become more of a discussion and less clarification, they did relate to the initial comment and moving them was overzealous in my view - not to mention confusing! By all means add a separate context box for the asker to provide more context, but it seems far too complicated to have these two separate sections with such a fine line between them.Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Мексика
Local time: 11:41
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => испанский
+ ...
Yes Mar 6, 2009

Please, merge them.

Another comment: I think buttons should be more graphical, this is, icons. Once the cursor passes over them, a text may be displayed to show what their function is.

Best regards.

Kitty Maerz
Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 19:41
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Please merge Mar 6, 2009

I too think it would be preferable to merge the two. It does get confusing otherwise and posts can easily get overlooked. Also, there are times when I am not quite certain which of the two places (clarification or discussion) I should post in as there is not always a clear distinction between the two.

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

английский => немецкий
+ ...
merge 'em merrily ahead - Mar 6, 2009

In Germany it has been found out, about ten years ago, that instead of having people that went to their town hall for ordinary or even extraordinary errands to be channelled - either by the doorman or the reception or just by sign boards into a lot of different sections - climbing stairs or using lifts, moving through corridors and swing doors, it could be more practical to have 80 to 90 % of the more or less petty red tape done in a so called Bügerbüro, set up generally in the ground floor an... See more
In Germany it has been found out, about ten years ago, that instead of having people that went to their town hall for ordinary or even extraordinary errands to be channelled - either by the doorman or the reception or just by sign boards into a lot of different sections - climbing stairs or using lifts, moving through corridors and swing doors, it could be more practical to have 80 to 90 % of the more or less petty red tape done in a so called Bügerbüro, set up generally in the ground floor and close to the entry, and deal there much more efficiently with things like input into a computer file, handing out forms, taking in forms and putting a stamp on etc.

All the input to a question will normally be relevant to a term solution. Nothing should be lost, and all should be easily to be seen by everyone. - It has been very justly observed that most possible contributors join an already ongoing thread and more so, may join in a few times at different stages. Then it is not only useful to see rather at a glance the chronological development and also, often quite interesting, the composition of the panel - so to speak.

For me there is no doubt that the present system leads to a kind of 'frictional loss' and information waste.

The dealings with additional clarifications demanded from and supplied by the asker, references to the web, lexicology, KudoZ and other glossaries etc are all interwoven and should be dealt together, in their chronological development and at the same spot - which could be called summarily -

"Clarifications, References, Comments and Discussions" - or maybe just "Comments and References" for short.

[Edited at 2009-03-06 21:45 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Перу
Local time: 12:41
Член ProZ.com
испанский
+ ...
Yes but... Mar 6, 2009

... there could be an option for the asker to make his or her clarification always visible, while leaving the other comments as expandable like with the discussion area.

Lalit Sati
Lalit Sati  Identity Verified
Индия
Local time: 23:11
Член ProZ.com c 2010
английский => хинди
+ ...
Yes Mar 6, 2009

Yes, Please merge.

PFB (X)
PFB (X)  Identity Verified
английский => французский
+ ...
Yes, please. Mar 6, 2009

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
английский => немецкий
Yes, please merge... Mar 6, 2009

...as discussion.

And have the discussion area displayed by default rather than hidden as it is now. I've found myself missing discussions because it didn't occur to me to click the button to display this field.

[Edited at 2009-03-06 16:50 GMT]

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Испания
испанский => английский
+ ...
Yes, please merge Mar 6, 2009

The chronology that this would preserve would make things a lot clearer, and would avoid the doubling up of comments that sometimes occurs (inevitably when people post at the same time there will be slight hiccups).

Perhaps if the Asker had the ability to quote, as in forums, this would make it clearer when the Asker is responding to a particular comment.

Having the box always visible is a good idea.

But, as already commented, positioning of the box will b
... See more
The chronology that this would preserve would make things a lot clearer, and would avoid the doubling up of comments that sometimes occurs (inevitably when people post at the same time there will be slight hiccups).

Perhaps if the Asker had the ability to quote, as in forums, this would make it clearer when the Asker is responding to a particular comment.

Having the box always visible is a good idea.

But, as already commented, positioning of the box will be important so as not to interrupt the flow between the question itself and answers.
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Италия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => итальянский
+ ...
yes please Mar 6, 2009

it's just confusing.

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Израиль
Local time: 20:41
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => русский
+ ...
Yes please Mar 6, 2009

I find the current layout impractical since - as was mentioned before - the discussion gets scattered over several fields. I was more than happy with the way it looked before in the "Ask the asker" field. It could be renamed, but it is important to have the entire discussion in one place. I do not like the way the "Discussion" area is now because the font is tiny and you have to scroll.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Германия
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Yes, please merge! Mar 6, 2009

Less is more.

Sara Noss
Sara Noss  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Член ProZ.com c 2006
+ ...
Please merge - Mar 6, 2009

Anything that keeps ProZ simple is fine by me.

BTW - Hello, Roland!

Sara

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 13:41
Член ProZ.com c 2000
+ ...

МОДЕРАТОР
A good, logical proposal Mar 6, 2009

Combining the two categories into a single space would make communication between KudoZ Askers and Answerers vastly more logical, and would relieve many of the existing points of tension in KudoZ.

Yolanda Broad

PS - The reference section, on the other hand, is a very fine addition and has definitely proven its worth.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
итальянский => английский
+ ...
With Yolanda et al. Mar 6, 2009

Keep the reference section, merge the clarification and discussion sections in a single "discussion" section.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should the "clarification" and the "discussion" areas be merged?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »